Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Distributor End play
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

Tom Wilson does not say anything about my LARGE gap.... spec 0.020 - 0.050".

This 914 1.8 I am using to make a 2.0 for my bus has initial Disty end play of 0.079. Tom says too much is ok. But how much is too much? This engine had never been altered, it was still factory sealed.

I have a shim from the 1.7 that came in my bus. If I use it the end play drops to 0.050". Tom does say that you MUST use 1 shim in a TIV engine. So I guess I should use 2....?

Thoughts?

With the spring and gravity and the Disty hold down all working on this gear and drive, what is the goal here? Gear and Drive wear reduction?

Last edited by malcolm2 on Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

I assume Disty is your distributor? Have you checked to see that the thrust washer between the cog and the case are intact? Originally there were two thin steel washers and a heavier fiber washer. The three all fail and disappear with time. There is a similar set of washer around the shaft within the body of the distributor, they too go bad.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

Can you take a picture? Most likely you just need to put some new fiber washers in there.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

so there are two answers to your question since the description of the issue is conflictive.

1. As to the DISTRIBUTOR DRIVE GEAR. You only use one shim on a Type IV. Period. There is no spec for the clearance on a Type IV engine, while there is a spec for that on a Type I engine. Type IV shims are still available new, (or were) if yours is badly worn. Unlike Type I motors, you can't stack washers to get a specific freeplay on the DRIVE GEAR. If the drive gear has worn excessively, you can replace it with another. New ones are generally not available although one comes up in classifieds for sale occasionally. If the case has worn excessively you can replace it with another case. The purpose of the spring that sits on the drive gear on both a Type I and a Type IV engine, is to keep the gear seated. Make sure you use it.

2. The DISTRIBUTOR itself has shims and washers in it. As the distributor spins, they wear out, especially the fiber ones. The fiber washer, and shims can be replaced to maintain the proper shaft movement. The best solution for this is to send the distributor to someone who rebuilds them.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

It only requires between .005" and .010". Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

I think there is a spec on the drive gear play, and the op lists it. When I rebuilt my 1973, I couldn't get below .054 even with a new factory shim. And I sure as heck wasn't going to replace my case just for that! The now shut down auto machine shop in the next town over finally came up with a shim for a tractor is something that solved the problem, but I really considered running 2 shims. I know the factory says one only, and all that, but really, from a functional standpoint, I could not see why 2 shims would not work. Thoughts?
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

Found this post by accident as I don't search for "disty" or "dizzy". It's tolerable to use those terms inside a post but in the title, no. Nothing to ad until the OP returns with clarification.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
It only requires between .005" and .010". Ray

Tbob wrote:
I think there is a spec on the drive gear play, and the op lists it. When I rebuilt my 1973, I couldn't get below .054 even with a new factory shim. And I sure as heck wasn't going to replace my case just for that! The now shut down auto machine shop in the next town over finally came up with a shim for a tractor is something that solved the problem, but I really considered running 2 shims. I know the factory says one only, and all that, but really, from a functional standpoint, I could not see why 2 shims would not work. Thoughts?

I put considerable time (like weeks) into researching this in 2008-2009 when I restored my bus and 2L Type IV engine. The distributor gear free play on a Type IV is whatever it is. You can use a new shim if the old one is scored and worn, but you cannot stack them. Type 1 engines have a published spec, Type IV do not, at least not one that has been published by VW. It is what it is.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
Found this post by accident as I don't search for "disty" or "dizzy". It's tolerable to use those terms inside a post but in the title, no. Nothing to ad until the OP returns with clarification.

I H@TE that term.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
tasb wrote:

I H@TE that term.

you are not alone.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:

Yes...you can stack shims. I have and its not an issue over many thousands of miles.
This is no different than why you can/do use three shims on the flywheel/crank joint. In reality you can use MORE than there shims on a flywheel ...but you should not use less than three.

The flywheel issue is that with just two shims...one is likely to stick to one face and one to the other. You still get two surfaces rotating against each other wearing all the time (if and when oil film is squeezed out). With a third shim you have two oil cushions and usually at least two of three faces turning all the time. Less wear...less cupping.

With the distributor....what ALSO wears over time is the lower face of the distributor body. Having more than one shim "might"....reduce some of that wear.

However...because the drive dog has three different axes of movement/alignment that it is allowing for (essentially similar to a lovejoy coupling with one more axis)....radial.....is movement sliding on the cross pin. Axial....with the movement of the shaft vertically and some slight angular misalignment caused by the afore mentioned two.

To keep from getting shims edge wearing during angular movement....I would say that two THIN shims should not be used. You might get some odd wear or binding if there is a lot of slack.....and that being said...there should not be a lot of slack....and this would not be a problem.

The other issue is getting factory material shims in thick enough material to make up a large gap without using multiple shims. That being said...there are other materials that will work just as well if you need to make up something like 0.030".

They need to be low friction and they have to be precise ...and the right ID and OD. You can use steel if you can find them in the right dimensions. I think the last ones I made years ago were made from Garolite CE (graphite impregnated bakelite laminate). They may have been torlon. Cant remember. I should check what I have.

Does it actually matter if the gap between drive pinion and distributor body is too large? Yes and no.
For general function...with points not that much. However if the shaft can go up and down a lot...its one more pattern of wear to the internal shaft bushing...and it makes a huge difference on some of the points replacement ignitions that use a magnet wheel instead of a ring and its just one more layer of slop.

How little can you get away with safely? From what I have found...as long as you have about .003" to .004"....when the distributor is at its max temperature...with at least one shim....thats enough to allow all three axes of movement to the drive pinion. Most of the time I try to keep them at about .008" to .010" .Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

Hey Ray - look at the photo. Do not stack Type IV Distributor shims. They have raised and indented areas. It will cause all sorts of secondary issues. They are not flat like Type 1 shims or flywheel shims. Photo from TheSamba gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

I think we are talking about 2 different shim sites. One is inside the distributor, where, iirc, there are 3shims, 2 metal and one fiber. The other site is under the distributor drive gear, between the drive gear and the case. That was the one I was concerned with. Looking at the pic you posted, Steve, it is clear that you cannot just stack those shims with what appears to be oil grooves on it. I had forgotten that. Iirc, and I am afraid I am not, my machinist looked up the shim in a book, measuring inside and outside diameters, and spec'ed it from a European tractor or something, which listed different thicknesses. My concern was that I had enough play that I had less than what I thought too be enough engagement between the distributor coupling and the drive gear. We thought about bushing the case with a flanged bushing, or machining a little off the bottom of the distributor to allow the engagement to be more acceptable. But in the end, I think we solved it with a thicker shim. Thanks for your replies, and to the op, good luck. Since you are in Nashville, any old time machine shops in your area? The one I used is shut down, but now that I think of it, the old time machinist that helped me was also a KTM enthusiast, so my shim may have been sourced from that that arena. I really can't remember for sure.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Disty End play Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
I think we are talking about 2 different shim sites. One is inside the distributor, where, iirc, there are 3shims, 2 metal and one fiber. The other site is under the distributor drive gear, between the drive gear and the case. That was the one I was concerned with. Looking at the pic you posted, Steve, it is clear that you cannot just stack those shims with what appears to be oil grooves on it. I had forgotten that. Iirc, and I am afraid I am not, my machinist looked up the shim in a book, measuring inside and outside diameters, and spec'ed it from a European tractor or something, which listed different thicknesses. My concern was that I had enough play that I had less than what I thought too be enough engagement between the distributor coupling and the drive gear. We thought about bushing the case with a flanged bushing, or machining a little off the bottom of the distributor to allow the engagement to be more acceptable. But in the end, I think we solved it with a thicker shim. Thanks for your replies, and to the op, good luck. Since you are in Nashville, any old time machine shops in your area? The one I used is shut down, but now that I think of it, the old time machinist that helped me was also a KTM enthusiast, so my shim may have been sourced from that that arena. I really can't remember for sure.

Norcal although I lived in Murfeesboro as a child for a short while during a period my father added C-130's to his list of planes he was qualified to fly. We also have family in Knoxville.

The shims inside the distributor can be replaced. Normally the fiber ones wear and fall away. Adding them back usually tightens the distributor back up. One also has to check other things in a distributor with that many miles on it. The OP of this thread was unclear which area shim he as referring to because he mentions Wilson, who describes the setting the gap on a Type 1 motor but also mentions that Type IV only use the one indented shim. As I recall, VW punches them so that there is a raised area opposite the indented area, making it a wavy washer with a square wave pattern instead of a sine wave pattern like most wavy washers.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

Yes, I am dealing with the shim under the DISTRIBUTOR drive shaft that is run by the gear on the crank.
Page 119 in Tom Wilson's book states, "Adjust the clearance by changing shims. You can install any number of shims of different thicknesses to get the desired clearance as long as you have at least 2 shims in Type 1 - 3 engines and one in Type 4s."

I pulled the DISTRIBUTOR and I think I can see a fiber washer between the end "cog" and the body. Also there is really no discernible endplay movement of the end cog or the shaft for the rotor button.

So I would think the original endplay discussion is coming from the length of the distributor or the length of the drive shaft.

I did add the 2nd shim and as mentioned, still have a gap. pic below is with 1 shim.

I guess my concern in using 2 shims would be, if I get a 2nd or new DISTRIBUTOR after engine assembly. I assume the alternate DISTRIBUTOR could be slightly longer and cause the shaft to bottom out. I could not then measure the endplay. But I could carefully remove a shim....
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

That last pic you posted, malcolm2, is what I was dealing with on my rebuild. I thought the spec was what you listed, between .020 and .050 endplay, drive gear, shim and distributor installed, with bracket, bracket being straight and flat. Even with a new shim, which I think I got from automobile Atlanta, the Porsche specialist, I still had .054 clearance, which did not seem to allow for enough distributor pawl to gear slot engagement. It is a special shim, as the pic from SGKent shows. I believe that my machinist, who was in a farming community the next town over, found me a thicker shim, and as I think about it, I think came from one of his motorcycle( he was a KTM enthusiast) sources. Unfortunately, I do not remember for sure, except I know I didn't put it back together with that much endplay, and a do not remember giving in and using 2 flat shims like a type 1. I hope that I am not sending you on a wild goose chase, and I apologise for my lack of memory. But I am Almost sure I remember him looking at a supplier catalogue, and getting me a shim that took my clearance to below .050.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

Quote:
"...and one in Type 4s."

VW publishes only one part number (021 105 235) for a Type 4, and they are all the same basic thickness. They are NLA. If your case is worn, unless you can find a smooth shim to go under the one VW spec'd, you can't change that clearance on a Type IV. You can see sister marks on the pawl if you look. You will also be changing the brass gear to drive gear engagement, and if that gets messed up you will have other issues that require a rebuild. I do know from Type one motors those shims wear, so if you play the game of sticking some other smooth shim under it be sure that it is hard enough to last, so it doesn't wear through, and get kicked out into the brass gear.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

So am I reading from several of you that I should just use 1 shim and consider the endplay un-adjustable?

as you stated, it looks like this DISTRIBUTOR and drive shaft running this engine case had always been running with this large endplay measurement. I really don't see any wear on the case here (where the shim runs).

"above" means as the DISTRIBUTOR sits in the engine. Sorry this pic somehow rotated during the upload.

From other builds, I have at least 2, maybe 3 drive shafts, and 2 shims, so I think I am going to put the best combo of 1 shim and drive shaft together that gives me the smallest endplay gap.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

On my 1.9L WBXer, it had been run for thousands of miles (prior to my purchase) with the cog not aligned with the slot. Long enough to have worn a minor second slot in the drive about 90° from the original. The fiber washer above the gear was of course gone from the very high thrust loading it was subject to. I put new washers above the cog and tried to run it with the cog engaged in the slot but the timing bounced all over the place from the excessive vertical movement in the drive. Added a second washer beneath the drive (I am pretty sure the WBXer setup uses the same washer as a Type 4) and ran it for years without any problem, about 75K miles until the engine died from unrelated reasons. Would have no qualms about running a second washer again. There might well be better ways to do this, like finding a second washer that was flat to use as a shim, but an original washer worked.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Distributor End play Reply with quote

On my 1.9L WBXer, it had been run for thousands of miles (prior to my purchase) with the cog not aligned with the slot. Long enough to have worn a minor second slot in the drive about 90° from the original. The fiber washer above the gear was of course gone from the very high thrust loading it was subject to. I put new washers above the cog and tried to run it with the cog engaged in the slot but the timing bounced all over the place from the excessive vertical movement in the drive. Added a second washer beneath the drive (I am pretty sure the WBXer setup uses the same washer as a Type 4) and ran it for years without any problem, about 75K miles until the engine died from unrelated reasons. Would have no qualms about running a second washer again. There might well be better ways to do this, like finding a second washer that was flat to use as a shim, but an original washer worked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: