Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

1990 2WD Westy

Working on the front suspension, replacing all bushings. I am unable to get the radius rods to move, on either side (where the radius rod itself connects with the lower control arm (LCA). I've had no problem unscrewing the nuts on the bushing side).
What I've done so far: wire-brushed the threaded portion at the end of the control arm, where it screws into the LCA. Several squirts of PB Blaster on several locations. Applied some heat (propane torch) on the rod itself, close the threaded portion. Can't heat it up a lot, the lower ball joint is right next door.

It just won't move.

My last bet is to get a 1 1/16" wrench, instead of the 27mm I have. The 27 mm has just a little bit of play, which prevents me from putting an extender on it, by fear of rounding the rod's bolt section.

Passenger side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Driver side:

T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Remove the lower control arm from the frame so you can remove the radius rod bushings and slide a box end of the correct wrench size onto the base of the radius rod. Then you can brace the subassembly in a vise or other fixture and apply the required amount of leverage to the rod.

You have to remove the spring and shock to do this as well...

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Once you remove the LCA, you can drive on top of it with the tire of a vehicle to sandwich it between the tire and ground. Then you can get good leverage on it. I’ve done this. It worked.

Edit: recommended only for the (late) cast LCA (which you have) not the stamped (early) LCA.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

To clarify, all I'm trying to do is change the bushings. I don't need in itself to remove the rod.

If I unbolt the LCA from the frame, and remove the lower shock bolt, will it give me enough play to pull the rod back a couple of inches so I can replace the bushings?

@beach_creature, I like your technique! Since I don't have a proper vice yet, it might come in handy one day Wink
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

If you unbolt the LCA, I think you’re gonna have to unbolt the UCA and deal with the spring. I remember someone having difficulty trying to bolt in the LCA with the spring in place.

You could try and keep at it with the PB blaster, applying frequently for a day or two.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Get some fire in that, minimum two minutes with propane on the threads.

You can touch the ball joint area and let it get too hot to touch without worrying about the rubber.each time you heat, the cycle is breaking up corrosion in the threads, so 5 cycles might be needed. Hot cold, then pb blaster or, best, ATF IN ACETONE 1:1
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
To clarify, all I'm trying to do is change the bushings. I don't need in itself to remove the rod.

If I unbolt the LCA from the frame, and remove the lower shock bolt, will it give me enough play to pull the rod back a couple of inches so I can replace the bushings?

@beach_creature, I like your technique! Since I don't have a proper vice yet, it might come in handy one day Wink

I removed the lower control arm assembly altogether with the radius rod attached to change my bushings- so yes. Obvs, I'd also removed the tie rod end, sway bar drop link, etc.

Hint: Don't figure out on the second one that you can remove the steering knuckle without removing the lower ball joint- in other words, the lower ball joint unbolts from the steering knuckle without you having to press the lower ball joint out. Do this on both. The lower control arm is very unwieldy with the steering knuckle attached- trust me.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Thanks.
I'll try the easiest heat first, heat cycles and 1 1/16 wrench, and if that doesn't cut it, well I'll take everything apart!
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

If you're leaving the steering rack in place and remove the outer bushing, can't you pull the arm out of the hole by turning the wheel? I know there's a way to do this because I've replaced radius rod bushings alone when one blew out, but I just can't remember how I did it.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Not sure. I did change the steering tie rod ends 2 years ago, so they shoudn't be too bad and I should be able to separate them.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

An open end wrench on that radius rod is not going to cut it. You need the full engagement of the box end. Take the assembly apart. Avoid injury to yourself, and avoid rounding off the hex component of the radius rod.

SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

I removed mine with an open-end wrench using a floor jack to apply force to the wrench.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Lucky...

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Sorry for the semi-hijack... just make sure it's a super high quality wrench if you try something like that and I'd even try to figure out how to set up a shield or something. I have a good friend who lost an eye when a good quality wrench broke from two people torquing on it with an extension. Better eye protection probably would've helped him, but there's a lot of other parts to one's body.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
I removed mine with an open-end wrench using a floor jack to apply force to the wrench.

I thought of it, but the 27mm wrench still has a tiny bit of play, enough to round off the nut if I put too much pressure on it I believe. I'll buy 1 1"16, which is a tad smaller, and see. But I won't push my luck on that method. The problem is that, if it doesn't work, my nut is rounded. Not good.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Here's a nice pic of the radius rod

I'll try adding a socket on the front end, to add some more torque on it. But it's so far out from the seized thread, I'm not sure it'll help.
I'll have a go this afternoon and keep you posted.
RogerT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

I rounded the flats on the hex at the base of the radius rod, as I could only get an open spanner on there. My solution was to remove the outer rubber Bush at the front, wind the nut back on and farther down, to let me get the other nut from the other radius rod on top. Then tightened them together using the ring end of the spanner on the inner nut, and a socket on the outer nut. Tightened them with all my strength (I’m only 11 stone) with a foot on one and a breaker bar on the other. May even have slipped an extension over the spanner. Then slip the spanner off, socket back on covering both nuts, and - in the end - it gave way with a mighty crack. The tightened nuts never moved, but the rod soaked up 1/8 of a turn in twist I reckon.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Roger, Thanks for the suggestion. I might give it a try too.
Something confuses me: I understand that you put the two nuts as far back as possible (i.e. closer to the lower control arm)? If so, how did you slide the ring end of the spanner? I'm not able, because the radius rod sticks out 2 or 3 inches out of the suframe mounting hole, towards the front of the van.
Or do you put both nuts at the front? That would make more sense.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

Kinda stuck here.

I am not able to unscrew the radius rod from the lower control arm. I've tried different things mentioned above, without success.

Before I give up, there is one last thing I can try. What if I unbolt different things so I can have some play on the lower control arm, so I can move it backwards for the radius rod to clear the subframe mounting point, and then I remove the inner bushing.
I am thinking of removing:
- schock lower bolt
- lower control arm to frame bolt (I have to change the bushing anyway)
- Upper control arm to steering knuckle

1/ will the spring be a problem if I do this? I tried raising the LCA a bit, with a jack, in order to remove the shock lower bolt, all it did was lift the van. I am afraid I won't be able to compress the spring back in place.
2/ The real question is will removing all these bolts give me enough play in the LCA to pull it backwards 3 inches?

Thanks for your input.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck, seized, rusted radius rod... Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Kinda stuck here.

Let me pinch hit for Ricardo/Terry Kay.

What you need is a real oxy-acetylene torch. Make that sucker cherry red all the way through and it will spin off there nicely!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: