Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
This seems like the correct course of action.
Thanks for the input!

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Not only are you buying all the good Crew Cab’s I’m losing bids on nice Hazet Assistents too! Laughing

Pretty sure I was after that very cart a few weeks back. Ended up with a 161 from 66-70ish, of course in worse shape than that one lol

Nice pairing if I may add. I tried putting my Craftsman wrench in the top door, the cart spit it back out.

So it’s only getting German made tools in my shop. Sassy, overpriced cart.

Sam

Thanks Sam. This one was a private sale, it never hit Ebay thank god. I wish I never started looking at these and the vintage tools that go with... but into the rabbit hole we go!

Boesen wrote:
This thread and that DC rocks! Dancing

Thanks Shawn! You need to come up and drive this thing!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dubbin68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

What a find!! We have a cabin in Cornucopia, WI and every time we drive through Port Wing I always dream of a barn find like this!

Congrats on the find and bringing it back to life. It looks like a really solid truck.
galencurrington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

i'm always surprised when people find some barns finds and the old people would actually sell it every time i find one they say " well i'm going to fix it one of these days", or " i'm going to give it to my grand kids" and it just sits there and doesn't move for the last 20 years.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Dubbin68 wrote:
What a find!! We have a cabin in Cornucopia, WI and every time we drive through Port Wing I always dream of a barn find like this!

Congrats on the find and bringing it back to life. It looks like a really solid truck.

That is awesome! Thank you

galencurrington wrote:
i'm always surprised when people find some barns finds and the old people would actually sell it every time i find one they say " well i'm going to fix it one of these days", or " i'm going to give it to my grand kids" and it just sits there and doesn't move for the last 20 years.

I get really lucky I guess!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

On the tow ball, you should be able to find a 2 inch in 3/4 shank. There is plenty of enough meat in that metal to support a 3/4 inch hole.

I’m an itinerant tower, but technically a 2 inch on that bar probably violates some regulations somewhere.....ymmv.

A very good friend of mine once towed a 13/4 ball receiver on a 2 inch ball from Saratoga to Albany at 60 mph/ 45 minutes by wrapping it with chain and bolting it firm.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

galencurrington wrote:

Don't ask about it for the first few visits. Let them warm up to you.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
On the tow ball, you should be able to find a 2 inch in 3/4 shank. There is plenty of enough meat in that metal to support a 3/4 inch hole.

I’m an itinerant tower, but technically a 2 inch on that bar probably violates some regulations somewhere.....ymmv.

A very good friend of mine once towed a 13/4 ball receiver on a 2 inch ball from Saratoga to Albany at 60 mph/ 45 minutes by wrapping it with chain and bolting it firm.

I just figured that out a few days ago at the hardware store! I hogged it out with a step bit and a little bit of filing and now it's good to go. I don't plan on towing much besides our apache tent trailer.
AustroBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Man that's a great story! Shocked

This is (another reason) why i love thesamba - because you can just sit there and browse around just to find awesome threads like yours. I'll definitely keep on following this one. Wink

And i really have to mention how jealous i am - a 1968 double cab and a 1971 westy - if i had to choose, these two cars would be in my dream garage for sure Wink

thefalconer_88 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Barndoor Coachbuilder Topics:
"Hans Kohlruss & Co"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

AustroBus wrote:
Man that's a great story! Shocked

This is (another reason) why i love thesamba - because you can just sit there and browse around just to find awesome threads like yours. I'll definitely keep on following this one. Wink

And i really have to mention how jealous i am - a 1968 double cab and a 1971 westy - if i had to choose, these two cars would be in my dream garage for sure Wink

thefalconer_88 wrote:

Thank you for the kind words! I get to have a lot of fun, I'm a really lucky guy!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

It's been a while! I thought I would post a little update on the truck. I've been really busy with life lately and it's hard to find time to post. However I am finding time to drive my truck. I took this picture today, the 28th day in a row daily driving the double cab. My goal was to make it a month so hopefully these 2 or 3 more days will be easy!

So far I've managed without too much trouble.... just a loose belt and a quick flat tow home from my wife's bus.

I've been busy hauling stuff

A load of firewood

A big custom window

Pop cans to recycle

Getting groceries

Burritos

Chilling with friends

I haven't done much work to the truck other than an oil change and valve checks. I was preoccupied with pulling these 4 white buses out of the woods and home to my shrinking driveway.

Things have now slowed down (not really) enough that I found some time to start polishing.

This stuff is great. I plan on hand rubbing the truck with TR3 completely and going from there.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by earlybayjim on Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Pay no attention to the tornado behind the buses. Shocked Laughing

earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Pay no attention to the tornado behind the buses. Shocked Laughing

Yup nothing to see here!
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Day 30 of daily driving went bad. I was almost all the way to work when I heard a lound noise. It kept running but lost about 50% of the power and it got a really loud rattling noise that increased with the rpms... I kept it running until I was able to park. I got some funny looks from how loud it was!

I flat towed it home with the help of a friend.
I thought maybe it was a broken valve spring, but everything looks good under the valve covers. I guess I'll be pulling the engine out this weekend.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Well shit. You hit a month of daily driving bro!
That counts right? The bus looks great, and you're shaking it down. This stuff will happen, just keep swimming.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Well shit. You hit a month of daily driving bro!
That counts right? The bus looks great, and you're shaking it down. This stuff will happen, just keep swimming.

Sam

I feel really dumb and really lucky. I found the plug wire laying where it is in the picture and the plug was not far from that! The threads seem undamaged!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
The threads seem undamaged!

I'll bet five bucks they are not undamaged. Unfortunately.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
thefalconer_88 wrote:
The threads seem undamaged!

I'll bet five bucks they are not undamaged. Unfortunately.

The hole looks clean and the threads look clean. I haven't found any evidence of aluminium shavings and the plug threaded back in like butter. It tightened up fine too.

Who knows!
It could very well be damaged or cracked... but I'm just going to run it and see what happens. I'll be pulling this engine once the salt hits the road and we'll see what it looks like up close.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

I am guessing it backed out most of the way, then pulled the last couple of threads with it.

I hope I am wrong. Looking forward to your results in a few months.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Hello,
Cool, you got lucky on the plug just backing out. Looks good from here. Getting a time-cert in there would be a bitch with the air cleaner stand in the way.... It's less hassle to pull engine for the right-side spark plug hole repair.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Time for an update! I wish I had more time to better my double cab, but I have been busy with my wife's new daily driver... taking it from this:

To this:

She did save me with it once by bringing me a battery after my generator or regulator went out (not sure which yet)

I did drive it until they dropped salt, managing one last trip to the bus stash deep in the woods. My wife followed me with the kids in her 71.

Now I have way too much junk sitting around here...

I did find some time to scrape some bondo off. Heatgun, plastic scraper, and some lacquer thinner. It takes forever, but its working.

Next up is to drop the engine to do some cleaning and maintenance. The battery tray needs replacing while its out.
The wood bed strips also need to be made or acquired. I'm sick of taking on water from the holes. I know some have welded them up, but I don't want to go that route.

Thanks for looking!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: