Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
daves_ale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Also check and see that both your generator and oil lights are working. Both of these are key. Might be a bulb, might be something needing more attention.
Love the DC, makes me miss the ones I've had.

'66 Euro Beetle 1200A
'71 Single Cab
'78 Westy
'02 Jaguar XK8 convertible
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

daves_ale wrote:
Also check and see that both your generator and oil lights are working. Both of these are key. Might be a bulb, might be something needing more attention.

Thank you. Both lights light up when the key is turned and go out after cranking like they are supposed to so I think they are working. Maybe the generator light was on and I didn't notice it? I'm going to be watching them closely from now on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
daves_ale wrote:

Thank you. Both lights light up when the key is turned and go out after cranking like they are supposed to so I think they are working. Maybe the generator light was on and I didn't notice it? I'm going to be watching them closely from now on.

That would be my guess. Gen light comes on when gen isn't spinning or charging. Easy to test. If the belt came off while driving, that light must have come on immediately.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Time for a little update. I'd like to share a few of my parts scores for the truck. Today I found a better rear bumper with a hitch already attached. Only 15 minutes from my house to boot.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I already got it installed after some minor straightening.

I need to find a 2 inch ball with a small shank to fit this hole.
I don't plan on towing anything more than a small utility trailer or our apache tent trailer.

I also found this little piece of unobtanium. I was thinking of cutting it up to repair my front 2/3 bench, but that almost seems like a crime. What to do...

The pictures I stole from the guy who sold it to me, it's not snowing here! I'll take some of my own soon in some good light with my dirty upholstery and the samples I picked up from tmi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Great score on that bumper! Amazing that it was close by. Talk about unobtanium. Is the hitch arrangement original?

You never know what is around the next corner...

And the blue seat upholstery -- nice piece! Don't cut it up. Keep it. Someone will need exactly that piece some day, just like you needed that bumper.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Yea Buddy !! Great score on the Bumper !!
So how many people stopped to see if you needed a hand when your Belt shreaded ?? I love having that box 'o parts for roadside fixes. Keep up the good work, that truck keeps getting better !

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Great score on that bumper! Amazing that it was close by. Talk about unobtanium. Is the hitch arrangement original?

Thanks! I don't think it's a vw piece, but it is definitely made in a factory. It's pretty well built. This winter I may take it apart to look for markings.

crukab wrote:

Yea Buddy !! Great score on the Bumper !!
So how many people stopped to see if you needed a hand when your Belt shreaded ?? I love having that box 'o parts for roadside fixes. Keep up the good work, that truck keeps getting better !

Thank you! 5 cars drove by and finally a neighbor(who I also happen to work with) stopped and offered a ride. By that time I was already done and picking up my tools.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Nice treasures dude, agreeing with John, let's not cut up the blue vinyl seat cover.

Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

SamboSamba22 wrote:
Nice treasures dude, agreeing with John, let's not cut up the blue vinyl seat cover.

Sam

Probably a good idea. Odds are I'll probably wear out the seat back cover on the driver side some day. I've already got 1000 miles on the truck... do you have any of your original material left Sam? Anybody else have some scraps for the cause? Haha! Help!

cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Another vote to save that seatback material in one piece.

Something will come along.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:
SamboSamba22 wrote:

Sam

Probably a good idea. Odds are I'll probably wear out the seat back cover on the driver side some day. I've already got 1000 miles on the truck... do you have any of your original material left Sam? Anybody else have some scraps for the cause? Haha! Help!

The only original upholstery I have in the double is the rear bench seat. Being Pearl White, it’s the original dark beige leatherette. My understanding the Blue vinyl was only paired with the Neptune Blue buses.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Only the first 6 months of production in 68 did Neptune Blue DC get Blue interior.
After that 6 months and from there on Neptune Blue DC had Beige interior.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
Only the first 6 months of production in 68 did Neptune Blue DC get Blue interior.
After that 6 months and from there on Neptune Blue DC had Beige interior.

That's interesting. How did you determine that?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

When I was researching my DC this is what I found in other threads and pics.

I pretty sure you will find no blue interiors on Neptune buses after Feb/March ish of 1968. Someone who has the parts book could probably look it up and see that blue interior is no longer offered after a certain time. I have an early 68 Neptune DC with blue interior and a late 68 Neptune SC with beige interior.

My theory: VW was always progressively refining their vehicles. If you look at the blue interior panels in back. They get nicked up really easy showing the brownish fiberboard with that dark blue paint on them. I am sure they had many complaints to their dealers from recent customers. Only seems logical for VW to paint the panels a color that matches the underlying fiberboard. (Can't see the nicks/chips). Any case the blue is great. Love the Neptune blue with blue interior.

I had some paint matched to my OG panels that had not seen sunlight for 40 years so I have a good example BUT horribly nicked up.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

type241 wrote:

I pretty sure you will find no blue interiors on Neptune buses after Feb/March ish of 1968. Someone who has the parts book could probably look it up and see that blue interior is no longer offered after a certain time. I have an early 68 Neptune DC with blue interior and a late 68 Neptune SC with beige interior.

My theory: VW was always progressively refining their vehicles. If you look at the blue interior panels in back. They get nicked up really easy showing the brownish fiberboard with that dark blue paint on them. I am sure they had many complaints to their dealers from recent customers. Only seems logical for VW to paint the panels a color that matches the underlying fiberboard. (Can't see the nicks/chips). Any case the blue is great. Love the Neptune blue with blue interior.

I had some paint matched to my OG panels that had not seen sunlight for 40 years so I have a good example BUT horribly nicked up.

That is generally how I have understood it, also. 1968 was a really interesting year for VW buses. Many changes across the board. When I was putting my old lotus white bus back on the road, I found that there were no less than five different flasher boxes used that year.
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

type241 wrote:

That makes a lot of sense... it is really noticeable! I wonder how some black abs panels would hold up if dyed the same blue? What sort of paint did you use and where did you have it matched?

I am a huge fan of the blue interior and I intend to always keep it blue. I'm sort of thinking about re upholstering the front seats and saving the old covers. The back seat looks pretty decent and it's going to have car seats strapped to it for quite some time so I'll just keep a blanket over it...
earlybayjim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

And since we are speaking of blue... I am now obsessed with blue things.

A friend who is a picker sold this to me a few weeks ago. It's in really good shape and rolls soooooo nice and smooth. I don't know much about hazet stuff, but hell I didn't know much about vws once too! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

thefalconer_88 wrote:

I am a huge fan of the blue interior and I intend to always keep it blue. I'm sort of thinking about re upholstering the front seats and saving the old covers. The back seat looks pretty decent and it's going to have car seats strapped to it for quite some time so I'll just keep a blanket over it...

This seems like the correct course of action.
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

Not only are you buying all the good Crew Cab’s I’m losing bids on nice Hazet Assistents too! Laughing

Pretty sure I was after that very cart a few weeks back. Ended up with a 161 from 66-70ish, of course in worse shape than that one lol

Nice pairing if I may add. I tried putting my Craftsman wrench in the top door, the cart spit it back out.

So it’s only getting German made tools in my shop. Sassy, overpriced cart.

Sam

Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Jim's Neptune Blue 68 Doublecab Reply with quote

This thread and that DC rocks! Dancing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: