Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild rotational issues, need isolate the cause
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Rebuild rotational issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

First total rebuild, mostly stock, except 100 cam: No rotation problems after heads installed. Distributor and drive was installed with case split.I have been constantly checking for free rotation at each stage.
Now have installed rockers and fuel pump, progressing to valve adjustment and have hit a rub. Just after tdc, when #3 at top, rotating clockwise , comes up to a spot I will not rotate past. I can rotate counterclockwise with no dragging. Question is how to isolate cause? Seems not dragging when rotate counterclockwise to adjust valves? Loosening the rockers, all valve stems at equal level.
I can of course start by removing pump, check rotation, remove flywheel (@ .0035' end play)rotate, etc.,etc. Im suspicious of the distributor drive gear somehow. How can I best proceed to isolate the cause ,step by step troubleshooting wise?Any ideas appreciated![/img]
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Remove oil pump, remove fuel pump and rod, remove dizzy drive, remove heads, check deck height. Its not a problem unless you have damaged something.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Is flywheel installed yet?

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Take the fuel pump and rod off, if still there take rockers off. Will tell you pretty quick which area to look in. Pretty much what you said. Probably the fuel pump. Not a lot of lift but did you check the heads for clearance?
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Deck height at .058, flywheel is installed, oil pump was clearanced to pulley (double checked), fuel pump rod correct. Will pull pump first.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Pulled pump and rod, no more "drag"! Yay! Note that rod extends 1 mm above flange, on this
alternator style pump.
Question is--- Should I add 3+/- gaskets and proceed, as in is it ok to feel this "drag" a bit?Or is there a problem with the pump rod?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

if you have the dist drive installed, with no distributor, it can ride up and jam up when rotating clockwise.
This can ruin the brass gear.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Crap! Optimism got me. Rotate 720 degrees counterclockwise ,pump removed, not a problem! Rotate Clockwise , definite binds up good just after tdc and when 1+3 at top of cyl. No signs of brass scraping or shine at distributor gear, drive not pulled, yet... for fear of losing washers If not necessary yet. FN-A What next?
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

I'm telling you that the gear is likely riding up when rotating clockwise.
Put a distributor in it and they try again..
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Ohio Tom, -- It has Had the distributor in since I installed it before mating case halves.
Looking down the fuel pump hole, the gear looks ok. Since this is only happening in clockwise rotation with the oil and fuel pump and rockers removed , why is it only affected clockwise ???
What are the remaining possibilities?....What factors into clockwise Only? Rod nut hitting base of case , or at #1 or #3 binding at skirt?, .058 deck is enough to avoid any valve hits? Not worried about tearing back down just wanna logically proceed, apparently More methodically! And pissed it's showing now!
GARRICK.CLARK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Keep stripping it down.Heads off, pistons off.
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

OK, sorry I didn't pick up on that..

So, pump out, still binds...

Pull the rockers next..

If it is valve contact, you will see it when you pull the heads off, there will be small witness "eye brows" in the piston.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

I cant think of anything hitting one way and not the other. Unless the cam is indexed wrong.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Pulled heads,, cyls, pistons. Rod ends strung on rubber bands. Now in my infinite imagination, I figured how to check the rod bolts and nuts, since these are new, aftermarket stock rods. Using black and white grease, I put on top and bottom grease blobs protruding about 1.5 mm out from the bolt ends of rods, Then I rotated 3 full revs counterclockwise. No smears alll ok.
Then when rotating clockwise to tdc on pulley , coming up at tdc is the clunk, a very feelable stoppage. But-- this definitely is a clockwise only problem.What's up with that?!?
I went through every spot with a very bright light repeatedly, but still a mystery.
Next move?
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Someone else asked and I didn't see an answer...is the flywheel installed? Depending on how you are rotating it, if the flywheel is not installed the fore and aft movement of the crankshaft could catch or bind with the distributor drive, etc. I have also seen the brass drive gear have a burr or bad spot from using the wrong puller to remove it from a crank, cause all kinds of issues during clockwise rotation. Just some thoughts
c77owen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Just noticed that your original post mentioned you could remove the flywheel, meaning it must already be installed...sorry
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotatioal issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Possible cam bolt hitting oil pump? You could pull pump to test. You could have too much cam endplay and the helical gears are pushing cam toward pump only when spun clockwise. Just a theory I’ve never experienced it though. Easy to check when you run out of other ideas.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotational issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Oil pump is removed per earlier post.
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotational issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Oil pump is removed per earlier post.

Sorry missed it.
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild rotational issues, need isolate the cause Reply with quote

Long shot. You did fit the spring between the distributor drive and the distributor?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: