Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

got an 81 that ive got up on a rack for the next 30 days.

I had planned on sanding, de-rusting, powdercoating the rims and running the junk for a future wc conversion.

anything else i should be doing while its up? shift linkage, steering column?
ive got access to a powder coating room and a full metal shop- doing a services trade and theyre cool with helping with whatever.

thoughts?
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: up on a lift for 30 days, what should i do? Reply with quote

Depending on just how deep into the rabbit hole you want to go, there's all sorts of stuff, like the 2 or 3 rubber and cord couplers (I don't know how many there are in the different years) that like to slowly break apart.
And if you do it's probably best to use ones that have cordage internally, not the ones used in a ghia (I think) that do not.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Or the litany (depending on how religious you are) of bushings throughout like these in the steering column.

And there's the delrin tabs, or whatever it is, that's attached to the 2 ears on the front of the shifter ears that, if they've never been replaced, must surely (Shirley?) be worn enough to negatively effect shift action.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

Is it me, or did that area of the van take a hit? I’ve replaced the dampener rings under the van, but the one above after 35 plus years looks new. I’m wondering about it’s working angle.

To the poster, 30 days on a lift will go by quickly. Between ordering parts and discovering more parts as you go, don’t tackle too much that will leave the van immobile if you need to go.

Make your realistic project list and expect to only get a 1/3rd of it done. Good luck.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
To the poster, 30 days on a lift will go by quickly. Between ordering parts and discovering more parts as you go, don’t tackle too much that will leave the van immobile if you need to go.

Make your realistic project list and expect to only get a 1/3rd of it done. Good luck.

Wise words here, especially the immobile part. As someone who has to schedule time in my own garage for Westy work, unless you expect to be at it 24/7 that month will fly by before you know it.
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

yeah, i dont want to take off more than necessary. I know the shop owner, so I could get back up if needed. He uses it about once a month.

So it sounds like im in the right direction with:

electrical cleanup
steering column bushings and such
shifting linkage bushings and such
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

Fuel lines ? (just in case)
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

ill add fuel lines to my list. good call
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

With out knowing your van and assuming it doesn’t need a engine or transmission. I would replace all the suspension bushings if they haven’t been done before. I would also check the brakes and replace as necessary and maybe repack the wheel bearings and cv joints. Take a good look at the metal brake lines as well. That would take me a month if I was not working on it full time. Those are all jobs that are hard to do on the ground and looks really good if you paint or powder coat. You must have some ideas if you schedule this time? Let us know your plans. John
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

i just had the CV, all bushings, brake lines, and shocks replaced recently. Noticed that one of the rear rubber housings connecting the wheel shaft to the transaxle had split apart (though new), so ill replace that.
some of the housings are worn.. i.e. the brake line run to the back and the gas pedal line are exposed, so im gonna tube those and spray some of my motorcycle cable lube all over the place.

Nobody has done anything to the shifter or the steering column, there is some surface rust, so ill probably hit those.

its looking pretty good underneath from a rust perspective.

Someone at some point had sprayed a thick rubber underlayment beneath most the frame, so in the really common areas there is some rust, but its mostly frame/body is in great shape.

Ive been peeling off the rubber underlayment with a chisel (its all cracked and old) and then ill sand/wheel everything and por15, and then 3m rubberized undercoat to everything.
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

Reseal the fuel tank. Shifter bushings. Run a couple extra wires. They will be needed when you convert to WC and want coolant temp gauges and a CEL.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

Rust would next on my list an fuel lines and tank problems. Most everything else can be accessed from the top. It sounds like you have done a lot of work already. John
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

Plus - add a kill switch to the fuel pump ground while you can access the area easily. Wink
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Up on a lift for 30 days; what should I do? Reply with quote

If it were me, I would be looking at the fuel tank, fill hoses, & overfill / expansion system.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9367835&highlight=#9367835

What the inside of a 30+ year old tank looks like

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630469&highlight=gas

It seems like you can get a new tank for a good price.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2245830
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: