Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon EJ22 kill switch
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sikamore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

I live in Portland and a kill switch is mandatory if you want to keep possession of your van. My van has a Subaru EJ engine and Subaru pump relays. My first idea is to add a switch to lift the ground but can only find the ground on the pump itself. I want to keep my wiring inside the van and I think I have found the power to fuel pump ( see pic ) and am thinking of adding a switch to power supply. My questions are

1. Is this the power supply to the fuel pump?
2. Are there special considerations to adding a switch to power as opposed to ground?
3. Any advice to adding a kill switch on the fuel pump for a van with an EJ conversion?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

It’s better practice to not run elec load through a switch. Most switches aren’t rated for continuous load amp draw.

Edit: I see you decided to stick with a toggle switch on the fuel pump ground. Pump can draw up to 7amps. Purchase a good quality switch that is rated for that load. When relays aren’t used, I prefer a DPST or double pole single throw switch. They have 2 sets of contacts so you can share the load.

Your switch needs to be where it can be easily bypassed if it fails to avoid getting stranded. Hope that helps.

Last edited by MarkWard on Sun May 21, 2023 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
sikamore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Adding a relay and switch to my ECU sounds daunting .. Maybe the simplest is to pick up the ground at the pump and add a couple feet of wire to bring switch into the cab ?
BrownLoaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

sikamore wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Adding a relay and switch to my ECU sounds daunting .. Maybe the simplest is to pick up the ground at the pump and add a couple feet of wire to bring switch into the cab ?

My father did this to my van about 15 years ago and it is still functioning as my kill switch today. There are more sophisticated solutions and I am waiting for the day when I need to make a roadside repair and return it to "factory" by bypassing the added wiring and switch. You can run the wires up near the parking brake and hide the switch under the parking brake boot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

l wouldn't touch the engines harness, you could cut the fuel pump, you could also cut the switched power to the ecu.
ie, the black wire from the ignition key, that would have gone to the coil, on the stock van.

what ever you decide to do, l would NOT broadcast it on the internets

619 201 0310
sikamore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

Thanks, I will probably use the ground on the pump. It’s not an elegant solution but it is simple . It’s open season on Vans and I have been relying on my steering wheel club .
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

I recently learned that the ignition wire coming from the VW (D15 in the front fuse panel) to the Subaru side is a quite effective kill switch. Problem for me was the van created this on its own 6 hours after we bought it! That circuit is known to burn out from carrying too much current, so as Mark said I would want to have a substantial switch on that wire to use it as a kill switch.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon EJ22 kill switch Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
I recently learned that the ignition wire coming from the VW (D15 in the front fuse panel) to the Subaru side is a quite effective kill switch. Problem for me was the van created this on its own 6 hours after we bought it! That circuit is known to burn out from carrying too much current, so as Mark said I would want to have a substantial switch on that wire to use it as a kill switch.
Use a relay!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: