Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Hi, my '79 fuel injected Super Beetle starts and dies. I cannot accelerate it to keep it alive. It dies, but it starts right up every time. The injectors are less than a year old and so is the fuel filter and the block sensor. Last year I was having issues with it stalling after it warmed up or dying after starting when I tried to accelerate. The issue was resolved with the block sensor. After that I also had an issue in which the Beetle labored a bit to restart after it is warm (like when I took a short trip to the store). When it is cold, it started right up, after it warmed up it took a little cranking to get it started. I was told that the vent in the air filter housing might be sticking. . . I bring it up because it might be related, but back to the the stalling out. . .
. . .I just replaced the floor pans and the wiring on the floor was messed with (I don't believe I screwed anything up). Under the rear seat there is a relay that looked to be disabled. There is a hole in it and the wire with a fuse might have been disconnected, not 100% certain. In any case, the inside of the fuse housing was supper corroded and I don't think the fuse was doing anything. Is that relay related to the injection or fuel pump? Or does it go to the starter? When I got under the car I believe that the starter relay was moved down there because it looks added, it's rigged with a zip tie.
I checked all the air hoses well. All the injection components had been gone over and the bug was working pretty well four weeks ago before I redid the pans, now the stalling. I have a notion that it is electrical in nature and that the mysterious relay under the back seat might have something to do with it. . .or not??
ideas??
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

How long does it run before it dies?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

I can't think of a FI related relay under the back seat, but if the little brown ground wire for the double relay behind the back seat isn't attached to the negative battery post it'll act like you describe.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

zoti wrote:
How long does it run before it dies?

one or two seconds. Then I can start it right up. No problem. I was thinking maybe something going on in the fuel pump and the ignition switch. The fuel pump getting a full 12 V during ignition and then not once it starts.

Last edited by Lepersrepel on Thu May 28, 2020 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I can't think of a FI related relay under the back seat, but if the little brown ground wire for the double relay behind the back seat isn't attached to the negative battery post it'll act like you describe.

Hmmm, there are two brown wires. The one under the back seat in the passenger side, which is connected and the one under the rear seat in the drivers side which was connected to the disabled relay. I have concluded that the relay was the starter relay which was repositioned next to the starter. It definitely doesn't look stock. The rest of the car pretty much does. Can anyone confirm that the really under the rear seat (driver side) is the starter relay?
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Lepersrepel wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Hmmm, there are two brown wires. The one under the back seat in the passenger side, which is connected and the one under the rear seat in the drivers side which was connected to the disabled relay. I have concluded that the relay was the starter relay which was repositioned next to the starter. It definitely doesn't look stock. The rest of the car pretty much does. Can anyone confirm that the relay under the rear seat (driver side) is the starter relay?
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

The brown wires at the battery are for the fuel pump double relay ,check the wire diagram.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

There is a contact set in the AFM that senses more or less any air flow through the box and signals the double relay system to keep the fuel pump on. It sounds like the starter motor signal is telling the double relay to turn the fuel pump on while cranking but the air flow meter switch is not telling the pump to run after it starts. I got rid of my L-jetronic stuff after selling my late convertible so I don't have the terminal numbers available. I must say, a good running L-jet Bug is a really nice ride. Smooth operation at any rpm and smooth power with any change in throttle position.
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
There is a contact set in the AFM that senses more or less any air flow through the box and signals the double relay system to keep the fuel pump on. It sounds like the starter motor signal is telling the double relay to turn the fuel pump on while cranking but the air flow meter switch is not telling the pump to run after it starts. I got rid of my L-jetronic stuff after selling my late convertible so I don't have the terminal numbers available. I must say, a good running L-jet Bug is a really nice ride. Smooth operation at any rpm and smooth power with any change in throttle position.

Do you think the AFC contacts are fouled or damaged? I will check but can't see it being the issue. Could I have screwed a wire or connection while replacing the pans? Any wires coming in from the engine to the battery area related to the the FI or fuel pump? The previous post thinks the brown wire connected to the battery negative terminal goes to the fuel pump and could have been damaged. I have to check the wiring diagram.
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

vwoldbug wrote:
The brown wires at the battery are for the fuel pump double relay ,check the wire diagram.

Will check and get back to you, thanks.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Sometimes they don't make contact after years of service or the contacts just get dirty. Other times the plug fails to make good contact, at either end. Most of these cars have not seen a good contact cleaning and are now over 40 years old. It is an analog fuel injection system so questionable connections cause real problems. I remember that after chasing electrical demons my '79 drove like a dream. I was inside the AFM at one point but I never had a problem with those contacts.

Watch those plugs closely. They have a lot of years of service in a hot engine compartment and typically getting a bit fragile.
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Sometimes they don't make contact after years of service or the contacts just get dirty. Other times the plug fails to make good contact, at either end. Most of these cars have not seen a good contact cleaning and are now over 40 years old. It is an analog fuel injection system so questionable connections cause real problems. I remember that after chasing electrical demons my '79 drove like a dream. I was inside the AFM at one point but I never had a problem with those contacts.

Watch those plugs closely. They have a lot of years of service in a hot engine compartment and typically getting a bit fragile.

Groovy, I will give it is shot tomorrow. First, I have to find it then I will put a brush to it. Thanks. I will let you know how it goes.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

My 76 came to me with the fuel pump wired keyed hot from the fuse block. I can't remember which fuse under the hood right now. A inline fuse was wired in as well.

Try that to get it running. It's a temp fix at best for safety reasons.

I'm in Linden NJ, if you get it running that way PM me.

Jeff
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Quote:
Beetle labored a bit to restart after it is warm (like when I took a short trip to the store).

I'm chasing down the same thing on my FI. It's intermittent. The injectors don't leak and my fuel pressure good.

I think the Temp Sensor II is either calling for too much or too little gas when head still hot and trying to start.
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

PuddleRainbow wrote:
My 76 came to me with the fuel pump wired keyed hot from the fuse block. I can't remember which fuse under the hood right now. A inline fuse was wired in as well.

Try that to get it running. It's a temp fix at best for safety reasons.

I'm in Linden NJ, if you get it running that way PM me.

Jeff

Thanks, I will give it a shot. I was going to work on it today but life got in the way. I hope to hit it on Sunday.
Lepersrepel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

PuddleRainbow wrote:
Quote:
Beetle labored a bit to restart after it is warm (like when I took a short trip to the store).

I'm chasing down the same thing on my FI. It's intermittent. The injectors don't leak and my fuel pressure good.

I think the Temp Sensor II is either calling for too much or too little gas when head still hot and trying to start.

When I replaced the head temp sensor, it ran great.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Lepersrepel,
The relay and fuse holder you found is for the rear window defogger. Your fuel injected computer needs at least 9 to 9.5 volts to operate. There is a 12 wire white or clear connector that runs to the computer. It is located in the same area as the other wires you speak of under the rear seat. Since you just worked on floor pans maybe you jiggled some wires loose. This wire connector is also very prone to corrosion. I solved my running problem by cleaning all these wires of corrosion. Like magic I got 12 volts to the computer. Corrosion is a huge issue here and can cause all sorts of intermittent running problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Sounds like a vacuum leak. Might want to do a Busdaddy smoke test!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
zoti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

Check the Air Flow meter to see that it is working correctly. If it isn't, the car will die after a few seconds as the computer is looking for a signal from the air flow meter to tell it that the engine is running (sucking air) and that it needs to give signal to the fuel pump to deliver fuel.

It's a safety feature.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 79 fuel injected starts but dies. . .arrgggg Reply with quote

whew... ok just some basics here....the dual relay (pump/computer) is not under the seat...the relay under the seat on the drivers side is the rear defogger...the dual relay is mounted next to the computer in the right rear corner of the package area behind the rear seat...under the corner of the rear window...they were originally mounted "upside down" (wires coming out of the top) and leaking rear window rubbers can cause them to fill with water...the bentley book has an easy to follow procedure just using a test light to check the function of the relay...it gets its power directly from the battery so follow its harness down under the carpet to the battery...there is a hot lead and ground attached to the battery terminals that are easily knocked off say if you hook up jumper cables.. since its a dual relay yes it is possible for only one half of it to fail so the pump and cold start could work but power to the computer itself might not....what you're experiencing is the cold start valve is working so the car initially fires up, but the rest of the system is not working.... most likely is a big vacuum leak somewhere...hose blew off, crack in the intake boot back where you cant see it etc...the flap in the afm controls the fuel pump contact so if air enters the system from somewhere else it wont open the flap far enough to engage the pump...other stuff could be a bent or jammed afm flap from a backfire (but these usually cause the pump to run continuously so listen for it)....theres a white wire that hooks to the points side of the coil...its what triggers the injectors to fire...if it fell off car wont run...if wire to head temp sensor disconnected or ohm reading of sensor bad car wont run....so theres a couple places to look but usually vacuum leaks are the #1 problem with injected bugs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: