Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

This is a great upgrade. It took me a little to get used to it, but I am liking it more every day. I think it's one of those mods that, at first its so different you think about it a lot, but over time as you get used to it you think about it less and less and you wonder if its good? But thats the thing about great design, if its done properly you will barely think about it at all. I bought this shifter because the stock shift throw consistently annoyed me for 6 months.

The 025 motorsport 711 shift throw is how VW should have designed it from the beginning.
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

It would be great to see a write up, with tons of pictures from anyone that has done the installation.... just saying
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Second the idea of a comprehensive write up.

Shows “out of stock” now btw.....
Confused

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Interested, but will wait until the 2nd Generation unit comes out. I've driven a couple of those Big Shot shifters and I can say I am not impressed.
It feels like the BERG shifter I once had in my bug that I took out and put my Hurst right back in.
This new shifter looks much nicer and more normal.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Gpeck96 wrote:
It would be great to see a write up, with tons of pictures from anyone that has done the installation.... just saying

I can add tons of pictures to my build thread, but I don't think you'll get anymore out of it past the 2 I posted. When installed it doesn't look any different.
Gpeck96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Gpeck96 wrote:

I can add tons of pictures to my build thread, but I don't think you'll get anymore out of it past the 2 I posted. When installed it doesn't look any different.

Yes, that would be appreciated - along with any lessons learned, fitment issues (if any), measurements taken to ensure smooth operation, parts replaced, etc. Basically, anything that can help others with the install.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

anyone know how adaptable this shifter would be to run a modified ball and cup for a Subaru tranny? Has it been done yet?
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

How is the install? Is it already set up so that if your stock shifter is dialed in, this one will be automatically dialed in or is there some fiddling to do in order to get it calibrated properly? Looks like something i might have to put on my list.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
Interested, but will wait until the 2nd Generation unit comes out. I've driven a couple of those Big Shot shifters and I can say I am not impressed.
It feels like the BERG shifter I once had in my bug that I took out and put my Hurst right back in.
This new shifter looks much nicer and more normal.

Stacy

I tried the big shot shifter in my van and took it out after a half hour. Im sure others love it but i really didnt like it at all either. This new shifter looks like its worth exploring though.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
How is the install? Is it already set up so that if your stock shifter is dialed in, this one will be automatically dialed in or is there some fiddling to do in order to get it calibrated properly? Looks like something i might have to put on my list.

If we assume that the rods are aligned where they join and all the components are in good shape (bushings, ball/socket, etc), the only real adjustment if the shifter itself is to fine tune the left/right bias so the shifter slides into gear smoothly when pushed forward or backward (1st gear/2nd gear for a 4 speed and Syncro, 2nd/3rd for a 2wd 5 speed).

If you want to send me an email through the website email (below in my signature), I'd be happy to send you a copy of the installation instructions to review.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I'd like to get a copy of the instructions, BUT with one of these shifters! Christopher, when are they going to finally be back in stock?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Gpeck96 wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
Gpeck96 wrote:

Yes, that would be appreciated - along with any lessons learned, fitment issues (if any), measurements taken to ensure smooth operation, parts replaced, etc. Basically, anything that can help others with the install.

Definitely interested in seeing someone install one of these. I think when they come available again im going to bite and ill post any photos and info that i have learned from the process.

Christopher was nice enough to send me the install directions for the shifter. if anyone wants to pm me with their email address i can forward them along. It looks pretty straight forward but would love to see photos to confirm a couple things.
iliketowalk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I guess I never felt like the stock shifter was really that bad?

A properly adjusted stock shifter in halfway decent shape should work with 2 fingers and no "hunting". Usually the ball and cup at the trans, or the bushings in the middle, or the ears at the front cause most of the slop and this only takes care of 1/3 of those things.

If you're doing a spared no expense build I can see the appeal though, because shiny and made by a craftsperson.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

I'm using stock shifter (with short shift kit) at the moment with 5speedbus hardware under the van. Any chance this would work on a subaru 5 speed transmission on a 2wd? The amount of left right movement in the shifter when I'm in gear has always bothered me. Also very easy to put it in 3rd instead of 1st on startup from a stop.
1988Dokaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Gpeck96 wrote:

I had pics with mine (check out previous page). Chris wondered if I had the quick shift kit on when I did the before pics, but I didn't. I measured from the dash to the knob at the same point for before and after, so it's not horizontal. The 711 recentered the stick closer and tightened shifting compared to the wild stock shifting experience I had before.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Just a quick note to let those who have been waiting that the 711 shifters are back in stock.

http://t3technique.com/drivetrain-parts/479/

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First try at the boot--too short, but if you're going to have a sporty shift lever, why not have a sporty boot? JoAnne Fabric vinyl. Brake boot is real leather. Hate plastic stuff. Next step is to cover the clock heater panel with matching dash crash foam as well.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

We've got one on the famous Polizei 24 hours of lemons race van. I was lucky enough to score one from Christopher earlier this year.

I have to say, it took me about 3 tries to get it dialed. For the race track we do a bunch of 3-4 shifts. Having the shifter favor this gate makes it precise and easy.
When we do have to find 2nd, there's no hunting, and the adjusting the pressure to enter the 1-2 gate is just that, adjustable to your liking.

With multiple drivers during a race, taking the slop out of the shifter prevents a ton of mis-shifts. It does also help to go through your entire shifter bushings and replace with new. Makes for crispy very precise shifting.

We finished our last race with this shifter installed 3rd overall and 2nd in our class. Our saturday times were 2 seconds faster than the previous year. Only changes were 1. Shifter, and 2. a 9" wheel on the fronts vs 7.5"

Two thumbs up on the shifter, and it held up to our abuse. We have another race in December - Sonoma raceway just north of San Francisco.

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

We've got one on the famous Polizei 24 hours of lemons race van. I was lucky enough to score one from Christopher earlier this year.

I have to say, it took me about 3 tries to get it dialed. For the race track we do a bunch of 3-4 shifts. Having the shifter favor this gate makes it precise and easy.
When we do have to find 2nd, there's no hunting, and the adjusting the pressure to enter the 1-2 gate is just that, adjustable to your liking.

With multiple drivers during a race, taking the slop out of the shifter prevents a ton of mis-shifts. It does also help to go through your entire shifter bushings and replace with new. Makes for crispy very precise shifting.

We finished our last race with this shifter installed 3rd overall and 2nd in our class. Our saturday times were 2 seconds faster than the previous year. Only changes were 1. Shifter, and 2. a 9" wheel on the fronts vs 7.5"

Two thumbs up on the shifter, and it held up to our abuse. We have another race in December - Sonoma raceway just north of San Francisco.

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 025 Motorsport 711 Shifter Available at T3 technique... Reply with quote

So I just installed the 711 shifter (sourced through T3 Technique) and man I love this upgrade. The install was very straight forward and took a little over an hour. I had to make a minor adjustment at the spline joint but other than that this was a plug and play upgrade. The shift pattern has been tightened up dramatically. The feeling is very notchy and there is absolutely no slop in the stick shift at all. My stock shifter used to rattle in 4th gear and all gears had a certain amount of slop. For anyone who is considering this upgrade, I highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed. The engineering and fabrication of this shifter is top notch. It’s amazing how much tighter the shift pattern is. The shift pattern at the knob has been reduced to a 3 1/2’ wide x 6 1/2’ high area as measured from the outside of knob (not including reverse.) If measuring the shifting area from the center of the knob, the area is only 2” wide by 5” high. As described in the product description, neutral is centered within this pattern, not biased to the right in line with 3rd and 4th like stock. Great upgrade.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: