Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

I was tired of looking at the unsightly shrunken T-Molding around my cabinets and tables. I thought about replacing it with NOS if I could find it at a reasonable cost. No luck there. Another option was to replace it with grey aftermarket molding so I ordered some. The color isn't quite right and just barely covers the edges of the melamine so I wasn't too happy. I decided to try and repair the original molding the best I could and "live with it". I used a heat gun on the low setting to remove the molding from the cabinets. This made it very pliable and as I was removing it I noticed it was stretching! After removing and cleaning it I decided to crank the heat gun on high and go at it while pulling tension on it. this worked great! I kept the heat on the back side to keep from burning the exposed side. Hanging the molding from a clothes line with weight at the bottom kept it straight and manageable. Left them to cool and removed the weight. I left them overnight to do any shrinking they might do. I went to re-install them and found they had grown a couple of inches. Trimmed the extra and re-installed them.. They look like new and it didn't cost anything. Now what to do about the yellow staining on the headliner...
Pics to follow...
Tyler

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Moulding over the stove re-installed..Looks great! Smile Happy Camper
Cloud9Alpine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wink I have been lurking around here long enough and thought I would become a member and give back a little.
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passenger Front Curtain Rail Before and After.

vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

65Tops wrote:
....Left them to cool and removed the weight. I left them overnight to do any shrinking they might do. I went to re-install them and found they had grown a couple of inches. Trimmed the extra and re-installed them..

something to consider is to stretch them only as much as you need.

I propose that 'over' stretching them and then cutting the extra will leave you shorter in a shorter amount of time as they re-shrink over the long term.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
65Tops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only needed to cut off about half of an inch on the longest one. I also used gorilla glue on the ends where they fit into the grove. Hopefully that will keep them from moving again if they decide to shrink.
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip - so nice and simple. Thanks for this one.
HoustonPhotog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks!
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

65Tops wrote:
Now what to do about the yellow staining on the headliner...

Learn to live with it.... nothing short of replacing all the interior and headliner material will change the fade.
Kathy Marlow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tip here. After a few hours with the heat guy, every cabinet in the Westy is now t-trim happy.
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

nice, it's on my list of to-do
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dyldebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

Sweet! Finally, I don't have to open my wallet!
johnt55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

BRILLIANT!

Give this guy an Oscar. And a cold beer.
coqcitywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

From my vintage trailer days and facing the identical issue and in the absence of a heat gun, the remedy was dropping the edging into a pot of boiling water for a a couple of seconds which produced the identical results. I have yet to try this method on my Westy materials as yet, but shrinkage is definitely is an issue here too.....
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

coqwesty wrote:
From my vintage trailer days and facing the identical issue and in the absence of a heat gun, the remedy was dropping the edging into a pot of boiling water for a a couple of seconds which produced the identical results. I have yet to try this method on my Westy materials as yet, but shrinkage is definitely is an issue here too.....

Agreed. I've done this a few times with a Vanagon and a Bay, and it works like a charm. I boiled it for a few minutes and then pulled by hand to gain a bit of length back. The only thing to note is what Vanis13 suggested a few posts up. Only stretch as much as needed. It might take a couple tries to get it the right length. But if you over-stretch, you have to trim the excess and it will cause issues later on when it shrinks again. It doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, and I think it becomes something you'll end up having to redo every few years, but it's really not that big of a job and beats forking out coin for all new moulding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

I find that if I use 5 minute epoxy in the channel at each end it helps lock it in place better against future shrinkage.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

This must be the season. I did my front table a few weeks ago. I used some construction cement to secure the trim. I'll report back in a few years on how it holds up.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

I may just dust mine with sildenafil citrate every now and then.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

A few weeks back I did the same thing using the heat gun. I left one end in place and stretched it to length on the cabinet. At each end a used a hot glue gun to hold it in place.

Bus2

Last edited by bus2 on Tue May 19, 2020 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cabinet T-Moulding "Shrinkage" Repair Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
I may just dust mine with sildenafil citrate every now and then.

Noooo! You do not want to do that as it just gets hard and looks old.

Instead, be gentle with the trim, warm as necessary, stretch, and then insert in the slot.

This will have to be repeated from time to time as others have noted above, but perfectionists may decide to stop the shrinkage by daily stretching.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: