Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 Safare Custom Camper Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Hello All!

I decided to start a build thread so that I could document everything that I do to this bus. I plan on posting the cost of everything as well because to me that is an important factor and I generally like to see cost in build threads.

First cost, we picked up the bus for $3000 (a pretty good deal in my opinion). Although it was not running and driving when we got it.

Some background, my wife and I have been looking for a camper bus off and on for 3 years. On a whim I got the OK from the wife to start looking again. This bus had been posted on craigslist for only 45 minutes when I started looking. I sent it to my wife and we knew it was the one so we grabbed a trailer, drove up past Seattle, bought the bus, and brought her home that same day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was also given a lot of extra parts. Fuel pumps, ignition coils, distributor cap, accelerator and clutch cables, and a radiator for a subaru engine swap to name just a small portion of the extra's I was given. But most importantly I was given these books.

One of my favorite parts of the bus was the look of the heater that was in it. But alas, my wife wants to use that space to return to the original layout by putting a fridge and gas grill there. I'm not too bummed about it though because those are necessities that I wanted as well. Here's some pictures of the layout for the furnace.

In this first photo you can kind of see the original set-up for the Safare Custom Camper. There's a large propane tank (looks old and original, definitely going to be replaced) that was not used for the furnace. But I like the layout and using the space under the bus so I don't have to take up interior space.

Because we are removing the furnace I am going to have to patch that hole that was cut in the roof. I may soon have the furnace on the classifieds or if anyone reading this wants it you can PM me. It's a Dickinson Newport P9000.

You may have also been able to tell by the picture of the propane tank that we started removing the interior. My wife plans on turning this into a pintrest bus which I am alright with because she has some pretty good interior ideas. My job is to make sure everything is as functional as it can be so that we can use the space wisely.
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

So onto the interior being ripped out portion. We tore all the "custom" plywood built interior out and threw it to the side because we won't be using it. We did store all the Westfalia specific interior stuff like the Z Bed which will also be going up for sale soon (or you can PM me). Then we were left with aluminum tape covering the floor with tar under the aluminum tape. I'm thinking this was used as insulation? or sound deadening? or both? Who knows, but it was a pain to peel off. 3 hours of peeling and we only got about a square foot done. Then I remembered dry ice works wonders. Here's some pictures of that.

It only took us an hour to do that! As you can see there's a little bit of tar left, but dang these floors are in good condition! One thing I didn't think of though is that the dry ice also gets rid of the under coating... So now I need to break off what is delaminated down there and redo that.

This is as far as we are now, I am actually going to the store right after this post to get more dry ice to get the rest of that tar off and then we will try to completely clean the rest of it so that we can respray the interior after we pull the furnace and the front interior out.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Looking good! And from the pics, it looks like you did score a good deal on it. Dancing

Keep up the good work, and keep us updated. These are my favorite types of Samba threads.

(I wonder if mcdonaldneal knows about the dry ice trick.
He's been scraping the underside of his van/bus for weeks now. Shocked )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

KentPS thanks for the support! Definitely tell mcdonaldneal about using dry ice if he is working with a cleared out interior. After a minute with the ice on the floor you will hear cracking, that's the undercoating delaminating, and it will come off in sheets (WAY easier than scraping).

I also forgot to mention that the previous owner also gave me an under dash AC unit. Just with the couple hours I have spent in the sun in the bus I can tell that I will want AC and this is definitely a topic I have been struggling with for the past few days. Here are some pictures of the DPD AC unit.

I have a box and a large plastic container full of parts from the previous owner that I haven't dived into yet. I am hoping to find more components so I can install this under dash AC so I don't have to buy a compressor and all other components that are needed. I also am planning on building a custom AC unit for the bus. This is where I have been struggling. I was considering just getting a rooftop AC unit like the Coleman Mach 8 (because it has a super low profile) but it weighs 90lb and I don't know how I feel about putting 90lb on top of my already top heavy bus... So my new thought process is to build a unit that vents from under the bench seats with the major components being secured under the bus. This way I am lowering the center of gravity and it won't look as bad as putting a rooftop unit on a hightop. Thoughts? Concerns? Has anyone else done it? I saw a thread on samba of someone talking about it but it looked like it never happened.

I know a major concern will be power. I'm going to have to figure out the power issue once I figure out all the components I need and can determine how many watts I will be pulling just to run the unit. But I know if I'm camping somewhere where I can use shore power I'll just plug in and use that instead of just battery power.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Following along if for no other reason than I really think the high top Buses are pretty cool!

There is a thread or two about using those under dash air conditioner units, along with modernizing basically the rest of the system, including the compressor.

I think those that have done this, are happy they did!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Nice camper. We are over near Duvall, WA and recently bought a '76 tintop. Perhaps we will bump into each other some time Smile
Don't throw anything away, even if it looks like junk. We got a box of "stuff" with our '76 and still realizing "wait, I think I have that missing part in my junk box" Smile
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
There is a thread or two about using those under dash air conditioner units, along with modernizing basically the rest of the system, including the compressor.

I think those that have done this, are happy they did!

Thanks I'll definitely check that out! I guess I probably would be better off just having the unit and upgrading the rest to make sure I pull the least amount of power out of the engine because I know I'm going to need every hp I can get.

wagohn wrote:
Nice camper. We are over near Duvall, WA and recently bought a '76 tintop. Perhaps we will bump into each other some time Smile
Don't throw anything away, even if it looks like junk. We got a box of "stuff" with our '76 and still realizing "wait, I think I have that missing part in my junk box" Smile

Awesome! You guys aren't too far away. I would like to go to a meet-up sometime so if you attend those then maybe I'll see you there or maybe out camping! I have yet to truly look into the boxes yet but I'm certain I will have the same reactions. I've been so busy ripping interior out, getting the tar off, and most importantly to me getting the bus running and driving. Which leads me on to an update!

Background on the engine side of things. When the vehicle was posted the previous owner said that he had driven it to work one day and then when we went out to it it would not start. It then sat for a year until he posted it for sale and sold to me that day. To me this sounded like a simple enough issue but boy was I wrong... Let me start with the wiring.

Loose. Wires. Everywhere.

This one had a tag that said "Dizzy" on it but I still don't know what it was for... It definitely didn't connect to the distributor...

Un-capped wires that I had no clue what they were for were all over the engine bay. So my first task was, for safety, to cap everything. I don't care if it's live or not, if there's wire showing it needs to be capped.

Next I checked if there was spark in the spark plugs. No spark. So then I checked the Ignition Coil. No Spark. So I thought to myself, "Perfect! I found the issue. It just needs a new ignition coil." So I went to O'Reillys and bought an ignition coil (not knowing that I had 2 more ignition coils sitting in the bus. I'm still need to test them to see if either works so I can keep one as a spare or both if they both work.) I put the new ignition coil in and still didn't get spark. So I traced the wiring all the way back to the battery to see if anything extra was drawing power from the coil.

The only thing in between the battery and the coil is a fuel pump relay. Which wasn't anywhere in the wiring diagram because it originally came with a mechanical fuel pump. So then I put in one of the extra fuel pumps that the bus came with and I had spark again (the extra fuel pump has a crack in it so fuel was spewing everywhere... definitely not keeping it.)

Once again, I thought I was done. I now had spark and I even got the engine to start for the first time once I got a new fuel pump and plugged everything back in! But sure enough the engine wouldn't run for very long without stumbling and really struggling to stay alive... So I got a fuel pressure gauge to see if fuel was going into the carb and I was getting too much pressure. So I got a pressure regulator to get 3.5 psi into the Progressive 32/36F carb that came with the bus. This didn't fix the issue but it definitely helped the bus to run better. I also pulled the carb, cleaned every orifice, set the float height, and reset the idle and mixture. This got the engine to run on it's own which got my wife and I excited. We were able to take our first test drive.

I also changed the oil, filter, cleaned the strainer, changed the plugs, added fuel to the tank. The general maintenance stuff.

We were able to get down my steep driveway, start down the road and man was it struggling... I could get the bus up to 14mph barely, couldn't quickly press the gas or it would die, and definitely took 5 tries to get back up my steep driveway. Once I figure out how to upload videos I'll upload the first drive and attempt to get up the driveway, it's pretty funny.

After all this I still had a lot of work to do on the engine to get it running right. But this post is already super long so I'll go on to the next post for that update.
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Second update on the engine. I was told to check for vacuum leaks. I had a vacuum advance distributor so I tested to see if it was holding a vacuum and advancing and it still was... I also checked the points and they were good. Either way I wanted to get a mechanical advance distributor and hoped that getting a new distributor would help the problem. I also made sure the spark plugs were still clean and that the gaps were right. I was having a hard time connecting the plug wires to the spark plugs too so I made sure they were clicking in and absolutely secure. I think that was everything that I did...

I had my wife start it up because I wanted to make sure that the timing was right with the new distributor and sure enough the engine started right up (the engine starting was very hit and miss before). Not only was it running, it was running well! I got the timing to where it was supposed to be, got the mixture to a good spot, set the idle, pressed the throttle and wasn't having any more lag problems. The engine was running super smooth. So then my wife and I went on our second test drive. It went so much better! The bus drove like a bus, I was able to get over 14 mph, and I didn't feel like it was going to stall out. I now have a good running and driving bus! It's completely gutted but I am now able to take it places and am so happy!

Tomorrow we are going to clean out the interior a little more by pressure washing it, prep a little more at the surface rust, and then re-spray the interior (probably won't be tomorrow because that would be ambitious). But definitely getting progress!

And once again, am so happy that it runs and drives well now!

Last edited by Cvannoy on Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Great work! Nothing like being able to move your bus around. We bought our bus not running too. We had it a little easier than you, just a vacuum hose "off" issue.
Are you painting yourself? With what?
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Hah, I was hoping it would be that easy. I will be painting it myself. My friend was telling us to use KILZ but I don't think I want to do that considering its a latex paint vs using the typical epoxy paint that automotive uses. So I am currently looking at different primer options for the initial spray. Preferably a white primer because it will make painting the rest of the interior white that much easier. Currently the Rust-Oleum Automotive White Sandable Primer is looking like a good option. Proven rust preventative qualities, sandable so it's somewhat forgivable, and it's white.

I'll make sure to post on here what I end up using. He could have a good reason for thinking to use KILZ, such as paint matching our cabinets to the walls because the paint on the cabinets will be latex I'm assuming... We'll see.
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Wow, so much to do, so little time. My wife would like to go on a road trip in the bus next weekend but first we need to get the interior all cleaned and she would like to get it painted. We will be using KILZ because it'll match better with the cabinets. In the meantime I have been working on getting the fuel gauge working again because I would really like to know how much fuel I have in the tank. The previous owner gave me a new sending unit but I was hoping not to have to replace it considering everything I was reading in the manuals was to pull the engine and then I can pull the tank to replace the unit. I was able to pull the panel off that showed the fuel tank after I removed the carb.

My first goal was to find the brown wire coming from the sending unit and ground it to see if I could get the gauge to read. I found it, grounded it, and got nothing... I then looked at the sending unit and the wire that supplies power was no where to be found... I was able to read the resistance of the sending unit though and considering there was fuel in the tank and I was getting "OL" from my ohm meter I determined that the sending unit was bad anyway and needed replacing.

To my delight, as you can see in the pictures above, I looked at how much space I had and determined I should be able to just shimmy the fuel tank out enough to replace the sending unit without removing the engine. This is all thanks to the access panel they started adding to these buses in my model year.

Pulled the tank out, pulled the sending unit out and tested it while moving the punger up and down and it was definitely bad. Tested the new unit and it was good, put it in, wired up the positive and negative, put the tank back in place, the panel back in (it was actually extremely difficult to do this and took forever...), and then secured everything. My new issue is that I need to find the wire that originally goes from the fuel gauge to the sending unit... I thought I found the wire but when plugged in to my sending unit wire I am still getting nothing... So that will be an adventure for tomorrow I guess.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Cvannoy wrote:
I can install this under dash AC so I don't have to buy a compressor and all other components that are needed. I also am planning on building a custom AC unit for the bus.

don't bother using that dash unit on a high top. it will be like pissing in the wind.

I have done a lot of rehabs on these units. they are *ok* in a passenger bus, *meh* in a westfalia so I can only imagine that it would be not worth the effort in a high top unless you're going to run a cab divider.

your rooftop unit is a WAY better idea imho. 90lbs isn't a lot, really and while you have the bus gutted make some hoops with mount plates to support the weight so the fiberglass doesn't take all the load. that's how I would go about it.

anyone with the dash unit would 99% most likely tell you the same thing

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Another update. I removed the tire from the front. I personally like the look of the bus better without it. I think it's such an iconic look and I feel like the tire on the front just makes it look like it has a clown nose. But these are all just my opinions of course. I also don't believe the tire will do much in helping save my legs in a crash, the sheet metal is just too thin on the front. Maybe someday I'll think of a way to brace the front so that it's stronger and I'll feel a little more safe. But that's a project for another day.

I knew there was a little crunch under where the tire was. I believe the previous owner must have bumped something at a pretty slow speed. It's not too bad and I should be able to fix it. But the crunch on the side of the front will be a little more difficult to straighten out as shown in the last photo.

There also is pretty good discoloration from the tire being there so long. I'm not sure what to do about this other than clean it and hope that it helps. But I know that's not going to do much and I'm going to have a circle mark until I repaint the bus.

Another thing to note is that my wife and I would like to get an awning. Specifically one like this.

It seems that our bus used to have this exact awning set-up as there are plugged holes where the awning would bolt to and where the arms would come down and attach. I like this system because I don't have to tie down the awning to prevent it from blowing away because it is attached to the bus. I have seen a couple names, Insta-awning, trans-awnings 2000, and more modern ones ARB Awning, EZY Awning, and Fiamma. So many choices. I personally like the flat awning the best like the picture I posted and if I can't find a vintage one like that to buy or refurbish then I might need to get a new one and modify it so that it will function like the old one.
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
your rooftop unit is a WAY better idea imho. 90lbs isn't a lot, really and while you have the bus gutted make some hoops with mount plates to support the weight so the fiberglass doesn't take all the load. that's how I would go about it.

Adding supports for the fiberglass is a good idea. I'll definitely have to look into that. I've seen another person around here with a hightop and a rooftop unit. It looks alright but they are also running a generator around in the back of the bus which if I can avoid then I will. I don't know if the generator is specifically for the rooftop unit but that is my assumption.

I would like to put solar panels on the rooftop as well which would help aid the power draw for whatever custom AC system I may come up with and a rooftop unit would take up some of the space for solar panels.

The under dash unit would mainly be just to cool off while driving but I guess that seems like a waste if I have a second AC system that could be running and be more efficient.
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Not a huge update today but exciting to me. We prepped and pressure washed the interior (it looks the same...) so it is seemingly much cleaner and just about ready for paint. And while we were in the cleaning mood (because we had all the supplies out) we cleaned the exterior too. These pictures don't do justice though, it looks SO much better. A lot less grimy now.

60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Do you know the history of this bus? I spy with my little eye a Virginia inspection sticker and either an Arlington or Alexandria tax sticker on the windshield. I’ve lived in the DC/NOVA area since 2012 and I don’t remember seeing that bus around.

My bus is almost the same as yours. See my build thread here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=665257&highlight=

You’ll be driving sooner than you know it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

60vwnewengland wrote:
I spy with my little eye a Virginia inspection sticker

You are correct, it is an Arlington sticker from around the time you started living in the area.

I don’t know much history other than these stickers which place the bus in Virginia and a couple other stickers that place it in Tofino, BC but I’m not sure if it lived there or just visited because they are just surf and coffee company stickers. And it’s also pretty close to the Seattle Area. Other than that, I know the previous owner lived in it for 4 years and he travelled quite a bit in it.

Here are other badges and a sticker I’ve been meaning to include in the post as well. Just for general identification of the bus.

Also 60vwnewengland, I notice you have this same vent as I do. Do you know what the original purpose was for it? I haven’t been able to find it in any documentation. Just curious.

Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

My wife and I took it for it's first drive not around our neighborhood. What a fun adventure we had going to the gas station! The bus was running pretty good, the engine still sounds like it has something going wrong and I have my suspicions. But there were other things more pressing on my mind during the drive.

To start off, I need to go into reverse to get out of it's parking spot. I have the hardest time finding reserve. It's almost like the gear doesn't exist. Even when I get into the gear it doesn't feel like I am in a gear like when I go into 1st-4th. I'll be looking up how to adjust that so I can take less than 20 min next time to get into reverse.

The most notable thing on our trip to the gas station though was the brakes. I have driven around our neighborhood a couple of times now and the brakes have been fine. Not great, but not terrible, definitely felt like they needed to be adjusted. But on this trip the brakes were sometimes non-existent and it would take some frantic pumping to get pressure again in the pedal so I would not hit the mustang in front of me. So that's definitely a top priority to fix before we go anywhere else. I'll open it up, look at the condition of the brakes, potentially (probably) replace them, bleed the system, and make whatever adjustments necessary. In the future I would like to move over to disc brakes but for now I will just fix the drums.

Now onto the engine suspicions, first is the carburetor. When I cleaned the carb I reset all the settings. Then I tried tuning the carb and found that no matter where I put the mixture knob the engine still runs the same. Even if I have it completely shut the engine still runs the same. Not perfect, but not terrible either. So I need to figure out what is going on with that. Any ideas from anyone?

The engine also has issues on start-up, it starts at a really low idle and struggles to start sometimes but then when it warms up the idle goes up to where it's supposed to be. I am attributing this to the carburetor issue as well.

AND the fuel gauge still isn't working... Although I think it may be the voltage regulator because when I check the wire that goes to the fuel gauge it is supposed to be getting 5V and it is getting very little voltage if anything. I still need to check if the input voltage for the voltage regulator is good or not but I was too busy on getting the bus on the road yesterday to check it.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

Well hooray for the first drive around the neighborhood - that's a win in my book!!
Cvannoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 Safare Custom Camper Build Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:
Well hooray for the first drive around the neighborhood - that's a win in my book!!

I agree! It's great to feel like I can somewhat reliably drive somewhere in the bus. Now that it's driving more consistently I need to get insurance for that. Which I have come to realize is a very hot topic... I was planning on getting Classic Car insurance for it but that seems to be very difficult since I plan on camping with it. I have read countless forum topics on thesamba about this. It seems that Progressive and Farmers come up most consistently for being used. I am not seeing the cheap $400/year insurance people are saying (some of the posts are pretty old but even more recent ones sometimes claim these numbers). I can get Progressive for $300/year but it doesn't cover anything... Only bodily injuries of someone I hit and that is not enticing knowing that I could be injured as well as my vehicle would be injured. I am also looking up multiple RV insurance companies and a local PNW insurance company. As all the forums press hard, I will be looking into an insurance that I can get an appraised value for my bus that way I am most covered. The problem is, I don't want to get the bus appraised right now because it is not close to being finished... But I guess I could get it re-appraised later.

Here's a list of difficulties I know I'll run into:
Not garaged: This is a hightop so it won't fit in my garage... but it stays behind a locked gate.
Age: At the time of this post I am 23, so sadly I don't get the benefits a 25+ year old will get.
Use: I am going to go camping and do long road trips so mileage needs to be high-ish and the camping aspect will be hard for insurance companies to get over
Appraisal Value: Need to make sure I get this thing completely covered just in case

And I have multiple vehicles so this definitely won't be a daily driver.

I'll be calling some insurance companies today (state farm, farmers, good sam, etc.) to hear what they all have to say and report back.

What are your thoughts on insurance?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: