Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Undecided on disk or no disk
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

1974 sb , replaced rear soft hoses ,wheel cylinders , just got new shoes and drums ,e cables as well, going to slap the shoes and drums on , after that i am moving to the front i got soft lines and cylinders ,wont know about drums and shoes till its apart.

Being that i have driven this car for about ten years I didn’t have a problem with braking till one of my cylinders leaked , i live in So California so not a whole lot of rain and even then brakes worked with some extra caution on keeping shoes dry by applying pressure to pedal after deep puddles .

Now the question do i really want to do a disk conversion ,is it a necessity or a want?? I would like to read some feed back .

Thanks
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

You’ll get various opinions, but I noticed a difference in braking after installing front discs.

I also don’t have to adjust the fronts anymore. Seven years now and no problems.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
You’ll get various opinions, but I noticed a difference in braking after installing front discs.

I also don’t have to adjust the fronts anymore. Seven years now and no problems.

Tim
Yeah that definitely is a plus not worry about adjusting the front . Any modifications that you had to do for the kit?
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

I have both front discs, and rear discs with ebrake. Works great, stops better than drums, especially when heated up from heavy use.

Drums are fine if kept in good order. I went to discs for the lesser maintenance aspect, as well better performance.

Is the cost worth the improvement? Front, definitely. Rear, probably not as much.

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
Is the cost worth the improvement? Front, definitely. Rear, probably not as much.

Whenever I need front drums on my VWs, I will probably convert my front brakes to disc.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

If doing maintenance is a bother you might want to consider a Toyota. My Prius is damn near maintenance free, oh and it has disc brakes. The disk is a farm implement.😀
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Put disk on front of my 69 before I ever drove it and it is night and day different than our 72 sb with drums as far as stopping power goes. The lack of required maintenance is just the gravy on the biscuits. You wont regret it . But it will make your wheels extend past the fenders or my kit did anyway so if that bothers you, you can always narrow the beam its all a snow ball effect. More=more.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

A timely discussion as I've lately been considering converting my Super Beetle front drums to discs. The question I keep coming back to is that when I need replacement pads in the future, where do I get them? Would it be more convenient to use say, Karmann Ghia or Type 3 discs or are the aftermarket conversion parts easily found and readily available?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Bama Dave wrote:

Whenever I need front drums on my VWs, I will probably convert my front brakes to disc.

Gonna agree with Cusser here. If you take your front brakes apart and find that the drums are beyond spec (can no longer be turned and stay within spec stamped into the drums) it means you need to buy new drums. These can be pricey. At this point you should be considering a complete disc brake kit for the front. But until you get there, maintenance of the front drum brakes is much less expensive than a complete disc brake kit.

To answer your question, "is it a necessity"? No, as long as your front brakes are in good condition and your are running a stock Beetle. Will front disc brakes be an improvement over drums?... yes. Are they worth the extra $$?... arguably yes. But they are not a necessity for a stock Beetle.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Beetles from '68 came with VW discs as standard here in Australia. Previously they were drums and in my opinion the discs are substantially better and don't need power assistance like bigger cars.

Drum brakes need proper consistent adjustment to keep the performance up. Most people don't or won't spend the time to do this. Hence discs provide better long term performance.

In particular the discs are significantly better when working the brakes hard e.g. in mountainous areas or where high speed braking is required. They don't fade like drums.

Rear discs however are an overkill.
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:

Tim

Agree 100% I lose track of time but 7 years on mine is about right.

Don't worry about farm implements
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

68, the only mod was installing the kit, itself. I reused my good races and bearings, so that was a little pain in the ass, but no biggie.

The disc kit was a gift from my wife. It was an Empi set up, and was surprisingly well made. The only thing that bugged me was having to bend the included metal brake lines at the calipers. I blew it when bending the first one and had to replace it. Still, no big deal. However, if I had it do do over, I’d get Topline’s flexible stainless braided line with their brackets. No bending, no fuss, great quality. In fact, if doing again, I’d just get the more e pensive Topline Super Beetle kit. It comes with new races, bearing, flex lines, etc.

An idiot can install these kits, and the pads are common Karmann Ghia ones, so no problem getting the replacements. You just want to be sure to torque all the nuts and bolts to spec, etc.

I couldn’t be happier with the quality and stopping power. Although, I did have squealing pads for the first 200 miles, but that was because of soft pads. When I replace them (which seemingly is still a long way off) I’ll get harder pads.

And, Zund, I don’t mind maintenance, but if I can find an improvement which doesn’t detract from my stock appearance, and don’t have the maintenance, I don’t mind a bit.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

That's what I needed to know, Tim. Thanks for the information!
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

First off thank you all for the comments and great info , i will check the front drums to see how they are wearing if they look good ill just wait (taking cussers advice) ..

Tim .i have been checking around for a kit , and the one that caught my attention is the Topline kit's , one you can save some cash with the china calipers the other is exactly the same but with TRW calipers and all the other goodies that comes with it, plug and play pretty much.

bottom line if i need drums ill go wit the cheaper version .if i have life left on drums it will give time to save a little more for the next up kit.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

68IHscout wrote:
First off thank you all for the comments and great info , i will check the front drums to see how they are wearing if they look good ill just wait (taking cussers advice) ..

Tim .i have been checking around for a kit , and the one that caught my attention is the Topline kit's , one you can save some cash with the china calipers the other is exactly the same but with TRW calipers and all the other goodies that comes with it, plug and play pretty much.

bottom line if i need drums ill go wit the cheaper version .if i have life left on drums it will give time to save a little more for the next up kit.

I always change the front drum brakes to disc brakes. Not even a thought. The braking is so much better and predictable. Pedal is always where it should be, so the brakes get applied a few milliseconds sooner. It has made a difference a few times. Without the discs up front, I would not have a 70 Bug anymore. I think the exchange is very cheap insurance. I like to limit my exposure.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

i have no experience with the china calipers...but those TRW vargas have been on the market for like 40 years and have never been a problem
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

I just replaced my front brakes. I wanted disk, but my budget wanted drum.
I got 2 Italian drums delivered for $78. Found German wheel cylinders cheap enough. I got some decent shoes. Also put new bearings in the drums (FAG).

I've owned a lot of bugs, all with drum brakes. It's what I know. I don't mind adjusting them when I change the oil. My engine is stock, I don't drive fast - I feel safe with my drum brakes.

Disk brakes are better, but drums are adequate for a guy like me.
61 BUS Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Last year I replaced the stock drums on my 76 Standard with discs in the front. After doing a bunch of research here, I decided to go with stock late model Ghia spindles, backing plates and calipers and go the full German OEM route and purchased a used set from a vendor here. Big difference, and I like the idea of keeping everything as close to OEM as possible. The aftermarket kits didn't look as well made as the original stuff. I particularly didn't like the idea of a relatively thin bracket to hold the calipers welded on to the spindle. The OEM late model Ghia spindles are cast all as one piece and look a lot more sturdy.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Like most of us, I realize that Empi (although I hear they’ve improved their line recently) is not a company we trust. But in the case of my front disc conversion, I have to admit, they did a great job.

Obviously, my kit was made in China, but, as stated previously, it was well done. The caliper brackets were not thin. They were machined perfectly and were very meaty. Everything lined up perfectly. Seven years—even with Chinese calipers—and I’m still impressed with the quality.

So, this is my experience. Not all Empi stuff is substandard. At least, not their front disc conversions.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
68IHscout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Undecided on disk or no disk Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Like most of us, I realize that Empi (although I hear they’ve improved their line recently) is not a company we trust. But in the case of my front disc conversion, I have to admit, they did a great job.

Obviously, my kit was made in China, but, as stated previously, it was well done. The caliper brackets were not thin. They were machined perfectly and were very meaty. Everything lined up perfectly. Seven years—even with Chinese calipers—and I’m still impressed with the quality.

So, this is my experience. Not all Empi stuff is substandard. At least, not their front disc conversions.

Tim
i think it all depends on who wants it made and wether they want to use quality material at a cheaper labor ,i think most of us think of Made in China as inferior for the most part its true,if you buy a wrench at a dollar store dont expect it to last as long as a say craftsman wrench , matco snap on have go e the Made in China on a lot of their tool but i would think they use better quality material to make them at cheaper labor , so not all stuff is bad even some empi.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: