Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

strange steering feel after new coupler
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

As suggested use a medium strength thread lock product on the threads before you install and tighten the nut. You need to clean the threads on the shaft and nut well with brake cleaner before applying the thread lock.

I would use a 40cm long breaker bar to tighten the nut if you don't have a torque wrench available.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

last time I am going to tell you this. In 1973 VW leased rights to make gearboxes designed and built by an American company named Gemmer. Some of the early 1973 buses used the Gemmer gearboxes made by their factory in France because VW did not have a factory in Germany tooled for them yet. Later boxes starting in 1973 were made under license of Gemmer by ZF in Germany for VW. If you have a 1973 Gemmer gearbox, which you might based on the year of your bus, it originally had a plastic ring that sat between the arm and the gearbox covering that exposed area. It also used a different size nut than the ZF made boxes so when the nut gets lost you won't easily find another. As a result people use whatever nut they can that fits. The original nut was thinner than the nut you have on it, and they did use a folding washer to lock it. You can see the black plastic ring (cover) on the 1973 box on the left. If yours is a 1973 Gemmer box then it is missing on yours and that is what makes the big gap where the splines show. You also have a non standard nut so I am guessing you have a 1973 Gemmer box where someone lost the black ring and the nut. You have a 1973 Westy. To be a 1973 Westy the actual bus had to be made before it was converted. That means your bus is likely an early 1973 bus. Some Westy buses are actually the prior year bus because of the delay making the bus and converting them. Since 1972 is a completely different bus than the 1973 it makes sense that your Westy was made in early 1973. Therefore it likely would have a Gemmer box. If you want it original look at every 1973 parts bus you can find for one that has the black ring, correct nut and folding washer. See first photo. Otherwise use a folding washer off a later bus, and medium (blue) loctite on the nut after cleaning it. If it is a Gemmer box it will say so on it. Look. There is a rectangular box on the cover. It will either say ZF or Gemmer on it and a date of manufacturer. See second photo for that.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

The OP's steering box looks like cast iron. I am pretty sure you can see the casting parting line in a couple of his photos. If I am seeing what I think I am seeing it means OP steering box is a TRW aftermarket unit not on OE unit.
badufay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

Not to highjack the thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the info here. Did my steering coupler this morning on my 76 Bay and this thread helped a bunch. New German one installed, seems to work great now!

Ben
Previous: 2015 Golf S TDI, 6 spd man; 2015 Jetta SE TDI, 6 spd man; 12 Jetta 2.5L, 04 Jetta 2.0L, 02 Golf 2.0L, 98 Jetta 2.0L, 98 Golf 2.0L, 98 Cabrio 2.0L, 95 Golf 2.0L, 87 golf GTI 16 valve 1.8L, 86 Cabriolet 1.6L, 80 Audi 4000 1.6L, 76 Audi Fox 1.6L, 76 VW Beetle 1.6L, 74 Audi Fox 1.5L, 69 VW Beetle 1.5L
Fairmounter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the help and advice. I am glad there does not seem to be an issue with the drop arm connection, just looks strange that there is a castle nut without a cotter pin. I cleaned up the threads and reinstalled with locktite.

I looked underneath while someone else moved the steering wheel. The play appears to be at the pivot of the swing lever. Now i don't think there is a difference between turning left or right, it just seemed to show up when turning right due to the steering wheel position. Which part wears where the swing arm pivots? Does the arm itself wear out? In the diagram I also see two bushes and a lever shaft.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

Fairmounter wrote:
Thanks for all of the help and advice. I am glad there does not seem to be an issue with the drop arm connection, just looks strange that there is a castle nut without a cotter pin. I cleaned up the threads and reinstalled with locktite.

I looked underneath while someone else moved the steering wheel. The play appears to be at the pivot of the swing lever. Now i don't think there is a difference between turning left or right, it just seemed to show up when turning right due to the steering wheel position. Which part wears where the swing arm pivots? Does the arm itself wear out? In the diagram I also see two bushes and a lever shaft.

make sure that the parts are loose from being rusted.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: strange steering feel after new coupler Reply with quote

Fairmounter wrote:

The kit includes all you need, but may not tighten the joint as much as you want, instead living a little slop. Crying or Very sad

I want to get custom bushings made for my Bay and then ream them to size. I have heard that you can use the bushings from a Split Window and ream them but having tried it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: