Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Doing air to water, thought....
why not mount smaller motorcycle rads into the rear air intakes and not have to run the WHOLE system up front.

Thoughts?
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Have you analyzed the capacities of the radiators you are considering and the multitude of connections necessary vs the stock system? I think dual radiators in the D pillars is more complex.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Not with smaller radiators, but with full size rads, yes.

The vanagon radiator is huge, way oversized, but it's in the front for good reason, to get full-on air blasting it.

If you were to put it in the back you'd want to take that into consideration.

Local samba innovator/genius Andrew Flint set up a bay window bus with a 1.8t and the rad towards the back/underneath I think.

You can see it under his bus on page 8 of the following thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Yeah, the bay window has that larger engine box back there. I know a guy who mounted two Honda rads on his bay window suby conv
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

I believe that the volume of direct cooling air of the forward-mounted stock Vanagon radiator arrangement could not be matched by smaller radiators tucked out of the direct air stream in the rear vents.

Especially considering that there has been much debate, and no small amount of lively discussion here, as to whether the Vanagon D pillars serve to EXPEL hot engine-compartment air upward, or to DRAW IN cool exterior air downward.

The subject remains as contentious as the transubstantiation of bread and wine ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Do the simple math. Measure the length and width of the Vanagon radiator.
Are you going to be able to have the same square inches from motorcycle radiators the fit into the rear air intakes?

As for putting a radiator underneath is it going to be laying flat where a rock or stick can put a hole in it?

Is the purpose of doing this to eliminate the long hose runs or do you have something you want to use the space where the radiator fits.
The original location works.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

If you have a tintop, buy a Westy roof. Just lay it on top of your tintop. Modify it so it becomes an air tunnel with the radiator at the back, on the roof above the engine.
Wink
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
Yeah, the bay window has that larger engine box back there. I know a guy who mounted two Honda rads on his bay window suby conv

Busaru.com did it in one of his YouTube videos if I recall correctly. Two Honda rads rings a bell.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

levi wrote:

Local samba innovator/genius Andrew Flint set up a bay window bus with a 1.8t and the rad towards the back/underneath I think.

You can see it under his bus on page 8 of the following thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Well, that was a fascinating distraction. What a great build. Other than Vanagons and classifieds I don't visit much else at the samba so threads like that help me get out of my shell. Neato.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

The very first Vanagon engine conversion I ever heard of was in Australia and it used 2 radiators in the rear pillars.

I’d probably just go with the front because with all factory parts, it would be easier for me with my (lack of) skill set. 😄
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

I remember seeing a Vanagon in Port Townsend a long time ago with a radiator attached to the left rear of the driver's side!! Pretty sure it was one of Scott's early Subaru swaps.

I wouldn't be comfortable having my radiator in such a vulnerable position.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Samba member furrylittleotter did it with his Subaru swap.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558965

I just read thru it again. He got a lot of flak for really no reason. Probably why you don't see some of the true innovators stick around too long.

Too much of this...

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
Samba member furrylittleotter did it with his Subaru swap.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558965

I just read thru it again. He got a lot of flak for really no reason. Probably why you don't see some of the true innovators stick around too long.

I said it in 2017 and I'll say it again, the first post in this thread is easily one of the most interesting posts on the samba I've ever seen...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676164&highlight=

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also really liked his Vanagon proboscus... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

As I understand it, furrylittleotter sold his super-modded Vanagon a few years ago.

He did have a "straightforward" way of interacting on this site which led to interesting exchanges around his unusual ideas as well as mods he didn't like (he had a spirited distaste for everything bostig Very Happy ).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun May 31, 2020 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Hell of a rear heater core.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Neil was VERY abrasive - so much so that even those of us who were open-minded and interested in his ideas found him hard to take.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

As an abrasive sort myself, I can tell you what he lacked in humor, he made up in out of the box thinking. Humor is the key to bludgeoning folks with your aggressive opinions. Someday I'll develop a sense of humor, and I'll rule the world. Until then, I'm stuck here with you idiots. FML

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
Doing air to water, thought....
why not mount smaller motorcycle rads into the rear air intakes and not have to run the WHOLE system up front.

Thoughts?

I guess the main reason not to engineer a new system (when the stock parts are readily available) is that it might not work well. You will also very likely have more time and possibly more expense into getting it to work well.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
As an abrasive sort myself, I can tell you what he lacked in humor, he made up in out of the box thinking. Humor is the key to bludgeoning folks with your aggressive opinions. Someday I'll develop a sense of humor, and I'll rule the world. Until then, I'm stuck here with you idiots. FML

Ok, let’s all settle down.....

Hey Zeitgeist.....go get your Subaru Shine Box...
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever moved the radiator from the front to the air intakes Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2jDwD0QBn0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-SM8kzQe4
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: