Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement...
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

We have now TWICE been sold or traded out from under us despite saying we'd like to give a deposit. They say, naw, I'll give you a fair look (gentleman's agreement). This second one comes from a long time Samba member in the classifieds and we were arranged to have a friend meet him and then we'd travel to meet him...

We said 4-5 times we'd like to give you a deposit and he said, no worries, you'll get a chance to look at it. Unreal.......

How can we for SURE place a hold so we don't get shafted a THIRD time.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Get there first with money in hand?

I'm curious if you would have expected to get the deposit back if you had decided not to purchase the vehicle?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

On the bright side, if someone isn’t being scrupulously fair and honest with you, and it results it you not buying their van, you may be coming out ahead.
Some people call him Maurice...
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

I'm curious if you would have expected to get the deposit back if you had decided not to purchase the vehicle?

Often times, yes a deposit is a refundable transaction.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
On the bright side, if someone isn’t being scrupulously fair and honest with you, and it results it you not buying their van, you may be coming out ahead.

Agreed, that's the silver lining I'm trying to seek. Thought maybe sellers had a little more class. :/
gumbajv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Someone contacted me last week about buying my Doka. Wanted to give me a deposit, I declined because if he backed out, which he did, he would expect it back. This is about the 4th or 5th time this has happened.
If I take a deposit, I would make sure the potential buyer knows, it’s not refundable. I’m taking my truck off the market, and could lose a sale to someone else while the guy/gal decides if they want it, or actually have the money.
As someone mentioned, whoever shows up with the money first gets it.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

That's the issue right there. If I were buying and I put a deposit down, that is intent to buy and my loss if I walk away. If you expect the deposit back, you have no skin in the game and if they refuse a buyer with actual money in hand, they could have just lost a sale.

There are a lot of phrases that apply to this scenario. "money talks, bs walks." or "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush." or "first come, first serve." etc.
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

I guess I don’t understand putting down a deposit. Why not just pay and take it home immediately?
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Let's say you're 6 states away and you really want a vehicle. It's in the middle of the week, you can't get there until Saturday. You paypal the seller a non refundable deposit of $500 with the agreement that he holds the vehicle until you can come look at it. The paypal message would say something like, "here's the $500 non refundable deposit per our agreement in our email conversation to hold the 1986 vanagon until saturday when I will come buy it."
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

ProspectiveOwnergon wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

If you expected to get the deposit back if you decided not to buy the van, then the seller was in the right to sell to the person who handed him REAL money first. What possible point would there be in the seller accepting a deposit under those conditions?? Maybe they could get 0.00001 cents in interest in the time they held the money and miss out on actually selling their van to an actual buyer... and you're claiming frustration with sellers. Yipes...
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

I just lost out on the opportunity to buy a really nice lathe I wanted badly. Turns out I was third in line to have access to the unit. Even though I wanted to plead my case and work out a side deal, I respect the first come, first serve rule. I lost out on the buy, and I'm bummed, but it's fair.

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes it eats you. That's life.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

It all depends on how you write up the transaction. This is no time for a "gentlemen's agreement".

When I've wanted someone to hold a vehicle for me to come look at (or I'm selling) I put it all down in writing. And that includes a signature.

If it's a refundable deposit, it's in writing, if not then I expect to lose the deposit if I don't buy.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
ProspectiveOwnergon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Wow! I totally realize I misread that...yes non-refundable, no, not refundable. Otherwise correct...no skin in the game. Today's been a crazy day is SoCal. My city was set ablaze all over. Plus this...
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
Let's say you're 6 states away and you really want a vehicle. It's in the middle of the week, you can't get there until Saturday. You paypal the seller a non refundable deposit of $500 with the agreement that he holds the vehicle until you can come look at it. The paypal message would say something like, "here's the $500 non refundable deposit per our agreement in our email conversation to hold the 1986 vanagon until saturday when I will come buy it."

This makes sense. I understand.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Just wait until you buy one and actual problems come up...
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Someone coming from six states away has plenty of skin in the game. It’s not off the market while a deposit holds it for a look, it’s deal pending. Tell prospective buyers they can have an appointment after the first prospect. Don’t take a second deposit if you have taken a first.

A deposit can be either refundable or non-refundable, put it all in writing.

How this should play out..

Monday

Buyer : can I come on Saturday to look,at 0900?
Seller: I’ll hold it till then ( with or without deposit)

Thursday
Samba Vulture: can I come on Friday?
Seller: you can but I won’t be able to sell it to you until Monday

It’s perfectly ok to change the price inSatirday if Vulture offered more
AZ Landshaper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

so many people will come see the van. Sit in it, talk about it, leave a deposit, decide against it. Screw the deposit. 1st comes w cash is the buyer. If you want a hot item get on it. Im waiting for no one. Have you tried to sell one of these things? Its not that fun. Its time consuming. There are a lot of folks who look at this as an op to see a VW VAN!!!!. Look Honey, Always wanted one of these!!

holy cow this is 35 years old!!! And theres a missing knob from the dash!! All this after an hour trying to locate you and 7 calls and a lot of hemming and hawing. Im partial to those that have owned one. 1st timers are a risk in more ways than I care to discuss.

No one was taking deposits on beanie babies or cabbage patch kids or the Aratri 2600. They waited in line all night long to be first. This is sooo much more than and Atari-2600.

Screw the deposit. Show up w a PPI already scheduled and act on the purchase. I dont care if you work weekdays or weekends or have an aunt who needs you to move a washer today. Im selling now. ASAP. Im done with people wasting my time. Its constant if you allow it.

-------------------------------------------------------
85 Weekender w/ EJ22
Previously
64, 71, 72, 73, 76, 81, 84, 85 & 87 Campmobiles and Westfalias
and a 67 bug.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Both of the last Vanagons I bought were 1600 miles away from me (Denver vs Baltimore). Both times the sellers took a $500 deposit (refundable if the bus was not as advertised, not refundable if I just changed my mind) to hold the bus until I could get a friend or relative in the area to look at it within 24 hours. If it was as advertised I was going to buy it. No PPI. (But I was not buying high dollar busses with rebuilt mechanicals that should have PPIs done before sale. One was $8000 the other $3000)

Both sellers were very honest with me and in both cases had other offers after mine, some for more than asking. They both allowed me the 24 hours we agreed upon and I bought both.

I think one difference is the time you ask a seller to hold the bus. If they have multiple offers they are going to be nervous about waiting several days. You'll have to be ready to pull the trigger quickly if it is a good deal. YYMV.

The right bus and the right seller will be out there for you. Keep looking. Very Happy

(Edit: And I had agreed to pay their price, no dickering.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794

Last edited by dobryan on Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

I don't take a deposit on any Vws I sell. If your 6 states away, you figure it out. Most of the Buses I sell, the 1st to show up usually buys it. The last Split Bus I sold was up for $4500, a non running rusty/crusty Kombi, the guy drove 10 hours to see it, looked it over for an hour while I did yard work, offers me $1500........ nope, I gave him a bottom line price, he wanted to contiue to negotiate, I told him we are done, I have work to do, buy it or leave, he bought it.
Most people that trek all the way up here don't want to go home empty handed. if I take a deposit, the buyer sets a time to come see it, then the Bullshit starts, I can't come until next week, my Aunts Mom will lend me the $$$ when she sells her car. Blah Blah Blah, you want something , go get it, don't waste our time.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Absolutely frustrated at sellers... gentleman's agreement... Reply with quote

Quote:

so many people will come see the van. Sit in it, talk about it, leave a deposit, decide against it. Screw the deposit. 1st comes w cash is the buyer. If you want a hot item get on it. Im waiting for no one. Have you tried to sell one of these things? Its not that fun. Its time consuming. There are a lot of folks who look at this as an op to see a VW VAN!!!!. Look Honey, Always wanted one of these!!

This. The last camper I sold 2 different buyers, showed up, looked the van over, took a road test, put it on the lift and stated they wanted the van, but had to figure out a way to get the money together. Probably 2 hours each of my time.

When the 3 party contacted me, I about jumped down his throat. I asked" you have the money right?" They ended up buying it and I apologized for being so sharp but explained how the two previous buyers were just kicking tires.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: