Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Aren't the signal lense covers side specific?

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

77kafer wrote:
Aren't the signal lense covers side specific?

Yes, they are. There’s a “blinder” on the inboard side of each cover.
mainstreetprod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Beautiful color! Just a word of warning, in case your painter didn't seal off the gas filler before painting. If the inside is painted (as mine was), the fumes will eventually melt the paint and it will end up in the tank and filter, clogging up the works. I was able to take a rag and remove the residue in mine in a few seconds.

Semper_Dad wrote:
So after waiting over a year for paint and body come to fruition, the deed gets done and the car comes home. Photos taken after two days of reassembly.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

mainstreetprod wrote:
Beautiful color! Just a word of warning, in case your painter didn't seal off the gas filler before painting. If the inside is painted (as mine was), the fumes will eventually melt the paint and it will end up in the tank and filter, clogging up the works. I was able to take a rag and remove the residue in mine in a few seconds.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

looking good, glad it is moving along. Will I see it in Louisville in Sept?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
looking good, glad it is moving along. Will I see it in Louisville in Sept?

That's the plan. Hoping be be doing road trials by Memorial Day.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Replaced almost every wire using The Thing Shop's wiring harnesses. The only one not replaced was the brake harness. If you like playing with puzzles then this is the route you want to go. Thing Shop provided no instructions so the main reference was a 2' x 3' blowup of the wiring diagram in the Technical Section. Found several "extra" wires in the front harness that was addressed earlier. Repurposed one of them for power to the electric windshield washer.

Spent an embarrassing amount of time troubleshooting the horn circuit only to discover a missing "S" wire that should go from the turn signal switch connector to the trunk. The Thing Shop's front harness now relocates the "T1b" connection from the luggage compartment to behind the instrument panel.

Almost completed the OEM part of the electrical. All the lights, wipers, and horn are working as they should. No giant puffs of smoke.

Now into the mods and upgrades portion of the electrical. Installing engine monitoring gauges such as Oil temp and pressure, CHT, Tach, and voltmeter. Added a 8ga hot wire directly off the battery along side the tunnel. That wire is protected by a 30a circuit breaker at the battery.

Deleted the useless swivel eye light which is supposed to illuminate the heater controls. Map light moved to new location under glove compartment and outfitted with red bulb. Making better use of my secondary fuse panel. It will be used to power up the fog lights, electric washer motor, gauges, and whatever additional accessories need power.

Also planning to tap the "SU" connection at the ignition switch (a la Modshine) for different options.

I reworked one of my older mods of removing the water valve and replaced it with a micro switch. This time I think I did a better job. The micro switch can't handle the current the electric wash pump needs very long so it will also get a relay to reduce the current going through it.

There are slots available on the wiper switch so If I can find a source for the male pins on the wiper's connection tray, I can reroute the wires through there and eliminate the GM connector.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Sun May 01, 2022 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Is that all? Kidding, great work. Glad it is coming along. Hope to see you guys in Louisville in Sept.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

What the heck Ron...
I was hoping to see him in Flat Rock in July!

Dad-
My SU wire triggers a standard Bosch relay which powers the radio, the glove box light, the gas heater switch, and a garage door transmitter.
All of that stuff only works with the key in the ignition switch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Project Update:

Reassembly complete for the most part. Still waiting for engine to return for install. Waiting for front passenger seat cover (expected tomorrow) to arrive. Ordering Blazecut shortly.

Bikini Top installed. New top with frame and side curtains expected sometime later. Probably late summer.

Chrome OEM side mirrors are temporary. New ones will be "off-roadish" and flat black.

Wheels are just rattle can painted to match body cover. Powder coat next

Preliminary electrical checks completed. All lights, horn, wipers ect.. functioning. Any additional wire added was marine grade.

In addition to engine install, will need to bleed and adjust brakes.

Chrome Baby moon hubcap temporary. Will be modifying a donor cap into a license plate holder. Powder coat black of course.

Engine bay eagerly waiting. Secondary harness for engine monitoring; Tach, Oil temp and pressure, CHT.

How far we have come

Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

looking great. Very nice detail.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Engine finally in!

Unfortunately, misplaced the accelerator cable tube. No road test today.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Looking very nice! Keep it going!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Put a couple of gallons of gas in the tank. No apparent leaks. What could possibly happen now

Oh SNAP!

Luckily the cap was in unlock mode and could easily be removed. Not sure what I would of done if it had been in locked (spin) mode.

But on a happier note....
First startup in engine bay in 2 years.

Link

germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Engine sounds perfect!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

....and this boys and girls is why you don't use cheap Harbor Fright impact drivers on 48 year old lug bolts.

I'm afraid the heat, humidity, my age (what was I thinking), and deadline getting the better of me. Took the rest of the afternoon off (with pay)

Won't do this again. Back to the breaker bar,
Learning by one's mistakes is good.
Learning by someone else's mistakes,...much better Laughing
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

I do feel that I have learned from your mistake. Wink
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Used a 1/8 reverse twist(left twist) drill bit. Threaded shank popped right out. Didn’t even have to use an easy out.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Glad it came out easy, that kind of thing can ruin an afternoon. I am surprised it broke in the first place.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Cheap Harbor Fright tools aren’t calibrated all that well. I suppose it would be ok to use when removing wheel bolts but when tightening the threads in the bolt bottoms out and all the torque goes to the head. Should use a torque wrench for the final tightening anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: