Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:52 pm    Post subject: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Had a bit of an engine fire last week. Broke just about every rule except I had moved the fuel filter out of the engine bay several months ago.

End of the day and I was moving the car from in front of my house, around the block and into the garage. Made the first left turn about 100 ft and then the engine began sputtering. Conducted a moving restart and the engine came back,... for a about 50 feet. I saw a bit of black smoke coming from the back of the car in my rear view mirror. Pulled over to the curb and jumped out to check on things. When I opened the deck lid there was a small fire near the carburetor. Dropped the lid and went back up front to grab the extinguisher only to discover it was no longer charged. Called 911 and reported the fire. Response was pretty quick, like 10 minutes or less.

Here are the results. No injuries (at least physically). Insurance adjuster (Hagarty) scheduled to assess tomorrow. Top was down and booted so it burnt up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic but I hope to restore. Blazecut system will be installed along with at least 2 portables.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:53 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Very sorry for you.
All of these engine fire reports lately made me nervous enough to order a BlazeCut yesterday.
Good luck with the repair, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Very sorry for you Sad
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Very sorry for you.
All of these engine fire reports lately made me nervous enough to order a BlazeCut yesterday.
Good luck with the repair, Mondshine

Great idea. A blazecut is on my repair list as well. I've seen a blazecut install on a 181 and it was installed on top. Wonder whether it would be better to install on the back of the decklid. In my case, that's where it got hottest first.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I plan to install mine on the top, even though the deck lid is much more accessible.

Check this post from Gene Kisner, an engine fire veteran.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=720857&highlight=blazecut
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I think I would also install a fuel cutoff valve.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Thing68 wrote:

Where?

He had a mechanical pump that stops when the engine stops.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Thing68 wrote:

Where?

Either at the tank or just forward of the engine. The fuel tank is higher then the fuel line so it will continue to drip fuel once the flexible hose burns thru.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Thing68 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Thing68 wrote:

Where?

Either at the tank or just forward of the engine. The fuel tank is higher then the fuel line so it will continue to drip fuel once the flexible hose burns thru.

So during a fire you should reach under the tank and turn a valve?

And by the time the fire burns through the hoses, the vehicle is beyond saving.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Ouch. I inspect my extinguishers as often (not enough) as I can. I'm feeling your pain. I don't have full coverage on mine (yet), give an update on how Haggerty responds?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Man that's terrible. It sure looks repairable though. Maybe it will turn out well in the end. This is where I would be pondering buying a bigger engine than I had or hey, new paint job some such thing. Here's hoping for a positive outcome! We're all going to be buying blazecuts, you're going to save us all.
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Thing68 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Thing68 wrote:

Where?

Actually you wouldn't have to wait for the hose to burn thru because it most likely came loose and is dumping fuel on the engine. Most engine fires in VW are fuel hose related. The shut off could be a DC activated valve.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Thing68 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Thing68 wrote:
Glenn wrote:
Thing68 wrote:

Where?

Actually you wouldn't have to wait for the hose to burn thru because it most likely came loose and is dumping fuel on the engine. Most engine fires in VW are fuel hose related. The shut off could be a DC activated valve.

So you're saying a switch to activate a valve to close off the fuel flow via gravity?

How about just maintaining the car by replacing the hoses every 5 years and use clamps? I've owned the same VW for 46 years and never needed a electric valve.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Thing68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

So you're saying a switch to activate a valve to close off the fuel flow via gravity?

How about just maintaining the car by replacing the hoses every 5 years and use clamps? I've owned the same VW for 46 years and never needed a electric valve.

Yep.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Any idea what did cause the fire? Crying or Very sad
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Any idea what did cause the fire? Crying or Very sad

Found the carburetor brass inlet tube sitting beween the air shroud and intake manifold. At this point I assume it separated from the carb, spill some gas, and then caught fire. Suspect ignition source came from electrical contact with cutoff valve or electric choke. Engine hadn't had time to get warm.

The inlet pipe is just peened into the carb. There's a couple of options to prevent the pipe from popping out. 1 is to machine a threaded connection. The other is to safety wire the clame to the carb.

From the gallery

Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Simper—dad... sorry you had this happen...looks like you did get lucky in that the fire didn’t total your Thing. Hope you get a fair settlement from your insurance company!

I haven’t checked my fire extinguisher in ages. On my to do list first thing tomorrow!

Also: please keep us updated!
1971 Super Beetle
1974 Thing

"A lot of people never use their initiative because no one told them to."
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Still waiting for damage assessment from Hagerty but started cleanup and disassembly.

Removed: Top and frame, rear bumper and tire carrier, carburetor. Vacuumed up the crispy chunks

Going to need a bit more than a rebuild kit

Next on the list is air muff and rear fender removal, then engine drop.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Semper-
There are a couple of details in that gallery photo that give me the creeps.
The worm drive hose clamp is the worst choice for a hose clamp.
The "safety wire rig" does absolutely nothing to guarantee a seal between the brass tube and the carburetor top.
Those "Home Depot" red/blue/yellow crimp terminals are a dead giveaway of a half assed job.

The best option for the carburetor fuel inlet is a 1/16 NPT x 1/4" hose barb fitting. The carburetor inlet is very soft material, and is easily threaded for 1/16 NPT with no drilling. The fittings and tap are available from Amazon, among other places.

Use open barrel crimp terminals for your electrical connections like VW did.
They can be insulated with heat shrink tubing, or better yet, with purpose made insulators.

Best of luck with your project, Mondshine
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Fully agree on all points. Consider the wiring option simply a bandaid fix. Correct permanent fix is a threaded fitting.

I use the crimp on hose clamps whenever possible.

Yes again for the electrical. Open barrel connectors with additional shrink tube insulation is the way to go. I'm glad I have a proper pair of crimpers with the amount of electrical work I'm going to have to do.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: