Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Cheap Harbor Fright tools aren’t calibrated all that well. I suppose it would be ok to use when removing wheel bolts but when tightening the threads in the bolt bottoms out and all the torque goes to the head. Should use a torque wrench for the final tightening anyway.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Those M12 lug bolts can be a little delicate, as are the threads in the drums.

On my '74, when I installed the CSP disc brake kit (that came with M14 lugs), I re-threaded my rear drums M14 and used thread-in lug studs (just like the fronts). M14 "ball style" lug nuts work just fine with the stock steel wheels.

Even our modern VW's still use lug bolts; they're a pain in the neck.
I have come to prefer lug studs and nuts, so I don't need to do a balancing act when installing a wheel.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SilverThing Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

My heart sank when I saw you had a fire and I am very glad that you have gotten your rig back together so nicely!

On the lug bolt: I take my rims off the rig to get new tires installed to try and avoid impact wrench damage. Now that being said, the last time I got new tires I stripped one of the drum threads myself while tightening up one of the lugs with a torque wrench. I like to think it was cumulative wear and probably abuse from previous tire shops using impact wrenches, but I could have also been getting a much deserved lesson on humility. I admit I was feeling pretty smug about my avoiding the kind of damage just moments before one of the lugs stripped the drum…

Bummer on the gas cap! I’ll have to be careful with mine!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Even our modern VW's still use lug bolts; they're a pain in the neck. I have come to prefer lug studs and nuts, so I don't need to do a balancing act when installing a wheel.

I use these “wheel hanger studs” when installing or removing wheels. Allows you to “hang” the wheel while placing the wheel bolts. Once you have 4 bolts in, you remove it and put the 5th bolt in.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Found them on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MWAQ9MO?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

My 1973 Saab 96

came with those hanger studs as part of the factory tool kit.

Coolest car I've ever owned.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Finally got my accelerator cable tube and a replacement lug bolt in the mail. There just aren't anymore brick and mortar VW parts stores nearby anymore.

While installing the tube I discovered that my old cable was literally hanging on by a thread. Two strands to be exact. Luckily I had a spare cable.

Finally buttoned everything up and did a test run up and down the driveway. First time moving under its own power in 2 years. This was followed by a short run to the park (5 blocks), downtown (5 blocks the other way) and then back home.

Link

Felt a bit strange after not being able to drive it for the past 2 years. The road test after the driveway trip revealed the following.

Motor idle speed WAY to high. Need to tweek it down.
Shifting plate needs a bit of adjustment. Too easy to hit reverse instead of 3rd
Generator and brake light came on toward the end of the drive. Will check connections, brushes, and go from there. Generator may need to be re-polarized.
Clutch feels totally different with new disk, plate and throwout bearing.

Going to do a few more road evals before doing a final adjustment on the brakes. Need to knock off some dust and rust and get the suspension limber again.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Trying some bigger steps.

Took her out on the freeway today. She's happiest at 55-60. Speedometter was off by 10 MPH according to my Iphone GPS. Temps were in the 90s and humidity was quite moist. Got about 20 miles down the road when the engine started sputtering and finally gave out. Luckily, no sudden kabooms. Oil temp had been steadily climbing and I was just about to pull over anyway but the engine beat me to it.

Initially I thought it was some sort of heat exhaustion. Took a quick look at the thermostat and it just didn't look right. Surely it should have been fully expanded and redirecting the louvers to full cool.

I also popped off the hose leading into the carburetor. It was dry. no fuel. Looked at both fuel filters and they appeared to be OK. Sucked on the hose and got to taste some unleaded.

Called Hagerty roadside to get a tow back home. They had problems with finding a service provider for my location. Finally they located one but it took forever to respond. In fact, I never did connect with the provider.

Enough time had passed and things had cooled down a bit. I reattempted a startup and to my surprise, the engine lit off. Turned a 180 and headed home. Oil temps were rock steady at 220 all the way home.

I think I was a victim of the vapor lock monster.

Oh, the generator issue seems to be an problem with the brushes not smoothly making contact with the commutator. A slight push on the brush more or less fixed it. Also, the lamp socket for the gen light is a bit sketchy. Sometimes it lights, sometimes it doesn't. I need to replace at least three of those lamp holders now. One illumination, high beam, and now generator.

Oh, and damn it. lost one of my powder coated hubcaps. Evil or Very Mad
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Could have been lack of venting to the gas tank as well since I am sure you replaced all of the hoses.

If it happens again just remove the gas cap and see if it starts, but if you got gas through the gas line then maybe not.

Maybe the fuel pump?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Here's an old post about vapor lock problems and an electric fuel pump:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757944
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Here's an old post about vapor lock problems and an electric fuel pump:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=757944

Wow, not sure how I missed that thread. I love the fuel filter design. Would love to get away from the plastic filters. I currently have 2 of them; 1 under the tank, the other on a bracket near the transmission. Both a PITA to change out. but at least I got it out of the engine bay.

Fuel pump setup is equally ingenious. You should have been a VW engineer.

Thanks

On a separate note, got the oil pressure and temp gauges working. My engine guy put the oil temp sensor in the wrong bypass plug. He put it on the forward instead of the rear. CHT still is a no go. May try reversing the leads. Tach is working,....I think,...seems to be reading a bit high using my calibrated ear tachometer. Not sure whether I have the coding (dip switches) correct.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Yes. Those canister style fuel filters are nice because 99% of the debris settles to the bottom of the can, and the element stays clean for many years. I think I installed that filter (as a "pre-pump"filter) in 1998 when I installed CIS fuel injection on my old Thing. Now, it is my one-and-only fuel filter (although the heater has its own plastic filter).

Good luck with your project.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Yes. Those canister style fuel filters are nice because 99% of the debris settles to the bottom of the can, and the element stays clean for many years. I think I installed that filter (as a "pre-pump"filter) in 1998 when I installed CIS fuel injection on my old Thing. Now, it is my one-and-only fuel filter (although the heater has its own plastic filter).

Good luck with your project.

Do you recall the brand/model of the filter holder? Source?
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

That's a Fram HPG1.

Here's a link to a "knockoff" from Jeg's that looks identical:
https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/15170/10002/-1

Or look for a used one; the filter elements I have come with new seals, so there is nothing that "wears out". The filter in/out threads are 3/8 NPT.
Mine is fed through a -8 hose from the tank because my fuel tank is from my old Thing with CIS fuel injection. I have a shutoff valve before the filter inlet to make it easy to change the element, but as I mentioned before, the element lasts for a very long time.

Good luck, Mondshine
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Despite still having a number of items to finish on the punch list. I thought I would give a overall debrief of this project.

Cause of the fire was most likely the inlet barb popping out of the carburetor body. Non functional fire extinguisher onboard but useless. Fire department responded quickly. Damage was isolated to rear of car and engine bay.

From the time of the engine fire till present a little over 2 years has elapsed. Most of the time lag was due difficulty finding a body and paint person. If I had all my ducks in a row I figure this project could be done in 6 months or less. Not only were my ducks NOT in a row, sometimes I felt that I was at the wrong pond.

At this point in time I figure I have about 18K into this rebuild/rehab
12K was insurance, 6K out of pocket. Hagerty happily took me back. Car is now insured for 25K (previously 12K).

Body, paint, and powder coating came out to approximately $8500
$700 for the media blast
$1000 for Powder coating
$500 for initial epoxy primer
$5500 for bodywork, epoxy primer/filler, final coat, Raptor lining
$800 for unwise expenditures

Parts came out about $7000
Tools and miscellaneous supplies $2600

Engine was stripped down to long block. Cleaned up and then re-assembled by me. Luckily it had not ingested any crunchy bits. Damaged parts replaced with new or rebuilt ones. All engine tin was powder coated with hi temp coating. Supposed to be good to 1200 degrees. Once reassembled, I had the engine checked out by someone. He discovered that the heat risers had some cracks in them. He welded up the cracks and aligned the flanges to fit better with the Thing Shop’s (Gen2) Stainless steel. He also installed some engine monitoring sensors.

Replacement rebuilt carburetor provided by Tim’s Volkbits. There's no one better

My original AM distributor rebuilt by Sparkwerks. Absolutely a miraculous resurrection in my opinion

New fuel pump. Brazilian (Brosol) but still OK by ThingParts.com

New Bosch generator by ThingParts.com

All new plugs, points, cap, rotor, coil, and wires

All new hoses, paper, aluminum, and rubber

Transmission remained in place during rehab. No work done on it other than new throw out bearing.

Really didn’t do much with the suspension as it was in very good condition. May replace shocks in near future.

The body was disassembled but not removed from the chassis. All parts were media blasted. Dustless blasting is not dustless. Took forever to clean up the mess. Everything with exception of the main body was given a Zinc powder coating. Mostly all new hardware used on re-assembly

Front and rear brakes and bearings were cleaned. bled and adjusted, especially after media blasting. That stuff got into everything.

Painter welded in new battery tray as well as repaired hidden damage to left front fender revealed by media blasting. Some rust pinholes and PO holes welded up. I could have done better in the paint and body department. Bought some stuff that I didn't use but sold to recover some loss. Figure 1K of mis-spent funds.

All the electrical harnesses were replaced. World of difference. Any additional wiring was with Marine grade wiring and connectors.

Most rubber seals and plastic items replaced. Those not replaced were in new or very good condition.

Front seats received new OEM style black covers (Thing Shop). Hated the blue ones

I pretty much did all the disassembly and reassembly of the body myself. Removed and installed motor by myself. A motorcycle/ATV floor jack is a Godsaver. The wife supported me by bringing me lots sweet tea and aspirin on a regular basis. Oh,…and she held the starter “D” bolt in place as I threaded the nut.

Lots of new general and VW specific tools acquired. ATV jack, Engine stand with VW motor yoke, VW special tools. electrical crimpers, dial indicator, compression tools. creeper. I now have a respectable supply of, nuts, bolts, washers, grommet, marine wire, connectors, and heat shrink for future repairs.

Still looking to getting a new frame/top and matching curtains before fall. That should bleed out another 3K.

Going to install a relay box in the frunk. Will move the dimmer relay there. Will be the future home of a washer, fog light, and SU circuit relays as well.

Leftover Items that may be available in the near future.
OEM top frame. Good working order. Complete with header and retaining strip. Going with a Thing Shop Top on Frame with matching curtains.
Set of White window curtains in good condition.
OEM air cleaner. Scorched but rebuildable
Blue mesh front seat covers
Lot of burnt bits and pieces. I haven't thrown anything non-salvageable away yet

Thanks goes out to:
Eclipse Body and Paint of Vincennes, IN
H & T Coatings of Francisco, IN - Powder coating
Thing Shop of AZ – Mostly new 181 parts and hardware
ThingParts.com of New York – New and used Thing parts
Jonny Walker of Booneville, IN – Engine Rehab
Tim's Volzbit of Yelm, Washington
Sparx Werks of Arizona
Harbor Freight - Mostly tools and shop equipment
Amazon – Various tools and supplies, Marine grade wire and connectors
theSamba.com classifieds – Various bits, pieces, and tools
Gary Mondshine – CSP pipes and words of encouragement
Domeck Brothers for inspiration
Thing/Type 181 folks for advice and encouragement

Thanks again you all.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Congratulations on the "completion" of your project!
Although (to me, at least) a Thing project never really ends.

Best of luck and safe travels,
Mondshine
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Despite my best efforts to clean out and remove the blasting media, it continues to haunt me. Laughing

On a nicer note….
Went to my first event since completion. VW FunFest in Effingham, IL. Hosted by Mid America Motorworks. Met up with Kames and his lovely wife. His 181 is absolutely awesome. Nice custom touches and upgrades. There were 3 181s in attendance.

Had a few issues on the 100 mile trip. Main one being the generator. I’d drive 20 miles down the road and the generator AND brake warning light would come on. Isolated the issue to the lower brush. The brush would “snag” in the carrier and eventually lose contact with the armature. Spring appeared to be strong enough to do it’s job but was pushing more sideways than down. May be due to this being a new generator and the brushes were standing pretty tall in their carriers. Tapping or pushing on the brush usually corrected the issue. I believe they finally seated as I didn’t have any issues on the drive back.

Not a particular fan of EMPI products but I had to pick this up.

What a difference! Very happy with it.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

3 weeks left to accumulate the confidence to make it down to Kubel Treffen in mid-July.

Hope to meet you there!

Safe travels, Mondshine
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

I had that shifter in a super beetle I used to have. It always worked well, I liked it too.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
I had that shifter in a super beetle I used to have. It always worked well, I liked it too.

I believe the shifter is longer and the throw is shorter. The trigger reverse lockout is a dream.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Installed "Off-Road" mirrors by Curtis Christianson (AKA Thingy100). He fabricates these in small batches. Worth the price? I lack any fabrication skills and tools so I suppose the answer is yeah.

Pretty straight install with general hand tools. My car (1974) has plugged mirror holes and I was using mirror mount door hinges. Luckily, I had retained my original OEM hinges (painted the new color no less). I did place a thin rubber gasket underneath the hinge in an effort to reduce scratching paint when tightening down.

I didn't want to "subdue" the OEM mirrors. They went into the "back to OEM" box just in case.

As far as function, these mirrors are not any better than the OEM. Main reason for changeout was strictly aesthetics.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: