Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Band style hose clamps provide even pressure 360* and with rolled edges they do not cut the hose.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Open barrel crimped terminals are what the factor used.

And as stated, a threaded brass fitting with a barbed end will prevent the hose from coming off.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-HOSE-BARB-X-1-16-MALE...1461491648

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

FYI-
Joe at https://cycleterminal.com is a good guy with high quality terminals and connectors of all types.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

This is indeed awful, but your alive and it looks very rebuild-able, after all it's a hobby, give you someTHING to do during lockdown.
I have Hagerty as well but have not needed to filed a claim yet. My question is doesn't the insurance adjuster
have to examine the remains before you clean/remove evidence? Any body experience this?
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp, I believe the above photos will pretty much suffice for evidence of the damage.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Hot Rod Harp wrote:
This is indeed awful, but your alive and it looks very rebuild-able, after all it's a hobby, give you someTHING to do during lockdown.
I have Hagerty as well but have not needed to filed a claim yet. My question is doesn't the insurance adjuster
have to examine the remains before you clean/remove evidence? Any body experience this?

Adjuster came by and made his assessment before I did anything except battery and fuel removal. Handed him a list of parts, part numbers, and prices from 2 different sources. List was probably 90% complete. I'm sure I forgot nickle dime stuff.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Semper_Dad. I had a car fire in the late 70s in Fiat 124 Spyder on 42St and 2nd Ave in NYC during Friday afternoon rush hour, same thing carb fuel inlet pulled out, even tho I had a big fire extinguisher fuel was pouring out gravity fed. FDNY put out the fire and I rebuilt it. This past winter I sent my 34PICT Solex to Volkzbitz for throttle shaft bushings, a threaded in barbed inlet, and re-plating.
And I also use the band clamps that Glenn mentioned everywhere.

It's the small things that add up. Best wishes in putting it back together,
now you can make any changes you may have been entertaining.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
FYI-
Joe at https://cycleterminal.com is a good guy with high quality terminals and connectors of all types.

I've used the open barrel terminals from Joe before. They work great.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread hijack but do any of you have recommendations for individual pieces of replacement wiring? I have a few cracked wires in the engine compartment that are concerning but not enough to warrant a full harness replacement. I'd really just like to replace 2 or 3 with the stock, color-matched version
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Maybe ask Mike Basso at thingparts.com or 518 630 0173

Gene Kisner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Had our fire three years ago returning home from KTE at Tipp City, Ohio. We drove 1000 miles that week to and from KTE along with sightseeing. Then twenty-three miles from home the pressed in factory carb fitting pulled out of the carb body. I had the fire out within fifteen seconds, thanks to a foam extinguisher. Do not ever even attempt to use a dry powder extinguisher, they are worthless and create a large mess. Always carry two foam extinguishers, one in the driver's door compartment and one in the passenger's door. When needed you do not need to lose time hunting for the thing. The foam extinguishers look like a can of wasp spray and are available at Walmart or Amazon. Absolutely no residual mess to clean up. Good for A B & C fires. I prefer the one with a trigger rather than a top push button. My 74-year-old fingers find them much easier to operate.
I love the picture in the classified ads with the extinguisher neatly mounted in the engine compartment left side on the air cleaner bracket. Wonder who is going to reach through the flames to grab it.
As for Haggerty, they were more than fair with me, they even left the claim open in case I encountered additional cost. Fortunately, I did not.
I have since installed a six-foot Blaze Cut on the top of the engine compartment over the engine. Flame propagation is up and out the side vents. Great peace of mind.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Still waiting for Hagerty to come up with a number. Guessing it will be somewhere near 6-7K. Sad

In the meantime, taking things down to its basic element.

Confirmed that distributor, fuel pump, carburetor and generator are toast. Holding off on any purchases until I get some sort of number from Hagerty.

Got the engine ready to pull by disconnecting heater cables/hoses and the 2 lower engine bolts. BTW, where is the upper driver's side enging bolt? Can someone give me a landmark? The manual says it is accessed from the transmission side.

Passenger Upper engine bolt visible through fan shroud. Still looking for the driver's upper one.

Some changes being considered:

Change over to alternator
Changer over to electronic distributor
Color change on body - dark silver grey with black accents?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I usually remove the left rear tire, then you can see it through the wheel opening without getting under the car. Ratchet with an extension will do it. There is no loose nut in the engine compartment like the passenger side, it threads into a bung in the engine case.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Some changes being considered:

Change over to alternator
Changer over to electronic distributor
Color change on body - dark silver grey with black accents?

Personally, yes on all three. I especially like the silver grey idea.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

On the driver's side upper engine bolt, it's right behind the clutch lever.
I switched to an M10 stud in that location, and use a JIS flange nut on that stud.
JIS nuts (for M10) have a 15mm hex (instead of 17mm), and access is much easier with a flex socket and a long extension.
Yes for alternator.
I use a CD ignition, so I prefer to trigger it with standard points.
For color, I always liked the factory colors Blizzard White and Avocado Green.
For non factory, for some reason, I am partial to the Chrysler Jeep color "Anvil", a non-metallic gray.
Check the body for any distortion caused by the weight of the spare tire mount.
Now would be a good time to reinforce the area, or delete the thing.

Good luck with the repair!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

So Hagerty called and they want to total out the car. I insured it with an agreed value of 12.5K. Minus the salvage value, their offer is $11,309 and I keep the car. Only issue is it will be regarded a salvage vehicle. Is this a problem in Indiana?
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I don't know much about it, I don't think it's much of a problem here in Illinois, I know that doesn't really help. What I read in a 5 minute Google search looks like not too big a deal in Indiana. Regarding the future value of your car I suspect it matters less and less the older the car is. Here's another random thought, don't take it too seriously. Insurance companies are "thrifty" I always wondered what if one were to counter offer "just pay me $9000 and don't mess with my title". Not making a suggestion or anything, random thought.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
Only issue is it will be regarded a salvage vehicle. Is this a problem in Indiana?

Do you plan on keeping it?

I would document EVERYTHING when you repair it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I'm a bit still on the fence about what to do. The way I look at it there are 3 options.

1) Accept the $11,300 and car. Restore it and deal with the "rebuilt" process. [Currently the preferred option]

2) Accept 12,500 and they come and pickup the car

3) Accept the $11,300 and car. Part out the car. They estimate the salvage value at $1,200. The fenders alone are worth that.
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
I'm a bit still on the fence about what to do. The way I look at it there are 3 options.

1) Accept the $11,300 and car. Restore it and deal with the "rebuilt" process. [Currently the preferred option]

2) Accept 12,500 and they come and pickup the car

3) Accept the $11,300 and car. Part out the car. They estimate the salvage value at $1,200. The fenders alone are worth that.

You're right about the value of the fenders etc. You could go ahead and keep the car and settle up with insurance,with the idea you can still think about weather to fix or not. One thing at a time. Having said that I'm personally glad to hear #1 is currently preferred. Smile
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Semper-
Nobody knows whether the car is worth saving better than you do.
Consider the condition of the car that was not effected by the fire; stuff like ball joints, brakes, steering, interior, etc.; the work you have already done that was not ruined, and whatever work you know it needed before the fire.
You probably have a good idea about what $12,500 buys in a Thing, and what a Thing at that price will need in parts and effort to get it where you want it.
After all, even a 30 grand Thing will need something.
It seems to me that the least expensive way to remain in the Thingdom (if that's what you want to do) would be to repair yours yourself.
If you spend 2/3 of your settlement on a top, side curtains and an engine, that leaves money to put toward body & paint.

Very sorry this happened to you; I hope whatever you decide works out for you.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I think my first course of action will be to get the engine pulled and inspected. I don't think it ingested any water or burnt bits. I can turn the main pulley by hand. Worse case scenario, I'll need a rebuild from the cylinders up. Compression numbers were OK last time I checked. I figure at least $1,000 to replace all the burnt bits.

Alternator Conversion Kit - $200
New Carb (Volksbitz) - $300
Distributor - $50
Coil - $60
Fuel Pump - $50
Air Cleaner elbow - $30
Various hoses - $100
Tin repair/replace -???

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: