Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

So I'm trying to sort out the vacuum lines and the more I research, the more confused I get.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What we have here is a mostly stock 1600 AM dual port engine with a DVDA distributor and 34 PICT 3 carb. I'm going to go ahead and delete the EGR valve. I'll make up and install blanking plate. Keeping the oil bath air cleaner with all its plumbing (thermostat and vacuum valve).

There are three ports:
1) Carburetor driver's side
2) Carburetor rear
3) Intake manifold

There are three destinations:
1) Distributor Advance
2) Distributor Retard
3) Air Cleaner Vacuum (Thermo switch)
4) EGR Valve (removed)

Currently I have it hooked up this way
Carburetor driver's side to Distributor Advance via shepherd's hook
Carburetor rear to Distributor Retard
Intake Manifold to Air Cleaner (Thermo Switch)

Is this correct? what did the EGR valve hook up to? Am I missing another port that needs to be plugged?

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kenj06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Sorry for the loss but looks like you are making them best of it. Thank you for sharing the story as I decided to replace my worn out carb and made sure I bought one with screwed in inlet fitting.
The one I bought has a vacuum port on the rear right side near the base of the carb and from pictures I've been looking at, I believe that is where the EGR vacuum comes from.

https://kubeltreffen181.com/gallery/vw-things-and-transmissions/#gallery_fancybox-57
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1689016.jpg
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=686016

You have the rest of the connections correct from my perspective.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

The saga continues:

Still looking for a paint and body person. Most (if not all) professional places don't want to take on something like this. They would rather take the quick and easy cash and work collisions and insurance. Some don't understand that I'm not looking for a concours level of work. I like seeing my spotwelds and low gloss paint. A single stage enamel is fine for me. Wet sanding? Clear coat?,...come on guys,....It's a utility vehicle.

Been thinking about using Raptor Bedliner in the front trunk and rear deck area. I'm a bit concerned about using it in the engine bay. I'm afraid it might be harder to keep clean due to the texture. Anybody have any experience with the stuff. Looks to be DIY friendly.

That being said,.. I started some of the gruntwork myself. Hope I'm not exacerbating my issues any further. Took a leap at the engine bay, air-boxes, and rear of the car. De-greased, power-washed, and then sanded down as best as I could with a palm sander. Figure this was mostly fire and smoke damaged areas so it had to come off anyway. Accomplished all this in about 4 hours. There has got to be a better way. Anybody have any luck with any type of media blasting?

Under the "While you are at it" category I removed an aluminum patch under the battery tray. It was there when I bought the car some 10 years ago. Cut back the rust cancer to solid metal. Waiting for the replacement panel before doing the final fit and trim.

Don't worry, pan will be getting a coat of POR, Master Series or Rust Bullet

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Have you considered one of those mobile soda blasting services?
It might be a quick way to get the body & chassis clean so that you can plan the next step.

The "cargo area" behind my back seat was painted with a textured material before the final paint. I think it was made for rocker panels, etc. It was a Sikkens product; my car was painted at a VW dealership (in 1983), and their body shop used all Sikkens stuff.
Anyway, once the textured stuff is overpainted, it is no harder to clean than the smooth areas (what few smooth areas remain after ~40 years).
Good luck, Mondshine

Link
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Just_Me
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

I had the same experience trying to get any regular body shop to do my body work (this was with the body completely stripped, and detached from the pan).

Nobody would touch it, apparently the body shop guys work on a form of commission, and they want easy in and out work, no restorations. One guy quoted me $50,000. (The car has just a spot of rust, and no damage). I just walked out, if he cant give me the courtesy of just saying "no" then I wont bother saying goodbye as I walked out.

I eventually found a small bodyshop guy to do the bodywork and paint, But its been stuck with him for a year, and there is always an excuse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Have you considered one of those mobile soda blasting services?
It might be a quick way to get the body & chassis clean so that you can plan the next step.

Good luck, Mondshine

I have seriously considered this option. Problem is I still need someone to shoot a primer relatively soon after to avoid rust flash.

Just_Me wrote:

I eventually found a small bodyshop guy to do the bodywork and paint, But its been stuck with him for a year, and there is always an excuse.

I'm now trying to concentrate my efforts with the smaller shops and or hobby painters
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Mine was painted by my next door neighbor, who works in a body shop for a living. It's the same story at his shop, they mostly do insurance work. Because of that though the owner doesn't mind employees doing their own side projects. He did a lot of the work including painting the inside with single stage in his garage next door. Then on a weekend we trailered the car in to use the paint booth, Saturday afternoon and many of the other employees were there working on their own side projects. Skilled people are out there, maybe one of the shops can direct you to someone. I did paint a car myself once, mixed results, I didn't totally embarrass myself. Rolling Eyes
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

It seems to me that, once your car is put back together, a nice "shakedown" drive to Kubel Treffen East 2021 would be in order.
Always nice to meet Samba comrades in person.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
It seems to me that, once your car is put back together, a nice "shakedown" drive to Kubel Treffen East 2021 would be in order.
Always nice to meet Samba comrades in person.

Totally agree, although I'd say 500 miles is a bit more than a "shakedown". Kubel Treffen East 2021 is a good goal.
BJT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

How far are you from Chicagoland? There are a couple of metal shop / body shops that work on classic VWs.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

BJT wrote:
How far are you from Chicagoland? There are a couple of metal shop / body shops that work on classic VWs.

I'm a good 5 hours south of Chicago. I've made contact with a local media blaster. They have assured me that they could strip the paint without warpage. I gave them my decklid and a seatback as a test. They're the same people that are doing all my powder coat. I have reasonable confidence that they can do it.

I've also found a dustless blaster in the area. Going to get an estimate.

One open is to have one shop do all the fenders, hood, seatbacks and air-boxes, then have the dustless guy do the car. This way I can avoid towing.

Will still need to find a top coater either way.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Semper, were in IN are you? My son lives in Indy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
Semper, were in IN are you? My son lives in Indy

Washington, Indiana. About 100 miles southwest of Indy. Only about 100 miles northwest of you.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Walkure SitRep

First thing today I fabricated an EGR blanking plate out of some thick aluminum. Made a template using the paper doll and rub method. I didn't have a jigsaw so I hand cut it with my hacksaw then cleaned it up on the bench grinder. Drilled a couple of oversized holes and BAM!, EGR Blank off plate!

Continued the deconstruction process by getting the doors all naked. Outside and inside handles, door stops and striker plates all removed. All of these parts will get a good de-greasing and relub before re-installation. Missing some door handle seals so those were ordered. Tore some of the door seals during removal but I think they are repairable with a little rubber cement.

So here's the shocker, Started removing and protecting items in prep for blasting. After seeing what condition the wiring was in, decieded it would be better to replace the wiper, and instrumentation harnesses. Too many cracks and bare wires. Main harness was already on the replace list. Brake harness and front lighting harness looked good.

Dash pods and associated wiring pulled. Tore 2 of those $4 dash panel hinge bushings during removal Mad .

Glove boxs door, upper dash pad, and defrost ducts removed without loss of blood (but my vocabulary is getting more diverse).

Steering column also removed. Note to self: Do not reinstall column until AFTER electrical install has been done.

Still to do:
Remove speedo cable
Remove pedal cluster
Remove washer nozzle and tubing
Wrap exposed harnesses in protective cover in prep for blasting

Blaster guy came over for dustless blast estimate. Took a lot of photos. Will get back to me shortly. Actually I think he went to make a steak and lobster dinner reservation in anticipation of my business. One of his concerns was blasting the windshield frame with the glass still installed. Informed him that me breaking the glass while removing it has about the same odds as him blasting the frame. I opted to hand sand windshield frame with my orbital. Not done, just a couple of test passes with the orbital.

Still need to:
Remove front bumper
Remove headlights and turn signals
Protect wiring from blaster

Carry on,......
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Hey Semper, nice work. I replaced the glass in mine and found it to be pretty simple except for the one rust frozen screw.
Just thinking that everything you are about to do might be easier with the glass out.

What color are you going with?
72 Baja
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:

What color are you going with?

Going with Coyote Brown with black trim. The car is going to end up with my son who is a former Marine. He has a affection for the color. I never liked Sunshine Yellow. Thought about doing the Harlequin theme.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Reply with quote

Coyote Brown and black, should look great on a Thing.

I think the yellow looks too washed out for my taste, luckily somewhere along mine got painted canary yellow, Rust-oleum apparently Embarassed .
72 Baja
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Short of removing body from chassis, you can't any more naked than this (But that's still an option).

Fenders removed. Hood removed

Sent a couple of panels to the powder coats for a test. Have to say I was very pleased with the result. Not a topcoat but a zinc primer powdercoat. Supposed to be able to throw a topcoat over it.

The decklid is the original fire damaged decklid. You can see signs of warpage along the top. May do some experimentation with some powder coat friendly filler.

jakokombi wrote:
I replaced the glass in mine and found it to be pretty simple except for the one rust frozen screw. Just thinking that everything you are about to do might be easier with the glass out.

Decided to take your advice and take the windshield frame apart. Did have use an impact driver, proper size bit, and regular hammer. To my surprise, No broken bolts, screws, or glass. Just a bit of surface rust. Inside of frame looked as pristine as a nun on Easter Sunday.

Frame will be headed to powdercoaters for blasting and zinc primer coating. Glass in good condition. New seal ordered.

Received most of the removables back from the powder coaters. This is not the finish color but a zinc primer coat. One stage semi-gloss goes over this. Overall very pleased with results. Forgot to remove plastic plugs from hinges. Will have to deal cleaning that up. One rust hole discovered on a door. Area will need some rework before applying topcoat.

Windshield frame and front fenders still being worked on.

NOTE: What appears to be warpage on the hood is in fact reflection from the trees.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

It seems to me that I remember a warning about the front beam being sensitive to the heat required for powder coating. Whether it was internal bushings being wrecked, or what... I can't remember.
Hopefully others will comment on this before you bake the body.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Thing Engine Fire, Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

If it has roller bearings it's OK, but if it has poly bushings, they need to be removed.

It truly is a "bucket" car Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: