Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Goodbye to a friend
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

Said goodbye to a friend today. It was a 1963 beetle needing some love. I knew right away when the people arrived they were right for the car. I sent them home with several VW keychains and John Muir’s book which was a surprise, this is good and how Lifetime memories are made. Win win and for me it’s an unfinished project now gone. Gives me energy because I’m downsizing before retirement Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Up up and away
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

That's a nice looking Beetle. I would have a tough time watching it leave!! Crying or Very sad

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

They come and they go I’ve been fortunate to have owned many during my lifetime when they were common and affordable but now it’s time to let go. The car had languished in a shed locked up not used not even visible. VWs need to be seen and used and enjoyed, I’ve set this one free. I could see the new owners falling in love with this car as they poked and prodded the nooks and crannies but more importantly it created good karma for us all. Sometimes people make a bond with things and that’s what was happening today. Very Happy
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

It was bittersweet when I let a few of my vehicles go over the years. But each one I ever really had an affinity for have gone to amazing "next custodians." My '60 Rock Grey vert is living happily in Florida with a gal whose husband told me not long ago she LOVES the car and won't even let HIM drive it Laughing . My '79 Super vert is living the PNW with a retired fire fighter who is smitten with it and shows it off at events and loves to cruise back roads with his wife; just communicated with him two months ago. My former '59 Westy moved to its new custodian a few years ago, but it's just down the street. He has done far more for the bus than I ever could.

So when they go to good folks, you know it. And it's a good bit of consolation Smile

-Kent

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

It’s great when you find those people and know that it won’t show up on the classifieds at 2x the sale price.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

When you stop and think about it the buying and selling of VWs could be an entire thread by itself. It may already exist under VW stories in the General forum.
I’m sure we’ve all got stories good and hopefully not too many bad doing this. If you can make it a positive and possibly influence a young person coming into the hobby it’s a good thing. Remember what it felt like to get your first car? My first car was a 74 VW bug and I loved it Very Happy

I gave the new owners a few of these keychains to get em started😀
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Said goodbye to a friend today.

It looks a lot happier in the sunlight than it did stuffed away in storage. Very Happy
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

I like that you're thinning your hoard. It's also nice to let bug get out of storage and be utilized again. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

Hard to let go. So glad u found the right folks and it went to a good home.

My sister recently converted some OLD 8mm films my dad took to digital video files.
Here is a screenshot of me at approx 1 yr old (in the red) with our 69 bug behind me

It's like a member of the family. If I ever had to sell it I think I would break down.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor

Last edited by sb001 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Awesome key chain tag.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Hard to let go. So glad u found the right folks and it went to a good home.

My sister recently converted some OLD 8mm films my dad took to digital video files.
Here is a screenshot of me at approx 1 yr old (in the red) with our 69 bug behind me

It's like a member of the family. If I ever had to sell it I think I would break down.

Listen! Your first word was,..

“ autostick!”
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ixdPnLFVIo

Terry Jacks, Seasons in the Sun
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

Great story! And a nice turn on to new VW enthusiasts. You're a good guy Jim.

I too, said goodbye to an (relatively) old friend last Sunday. I traded my 09 Pontiac G8 GT Sport. A friend (member here) "cashed" named the "Blue Rocket." It was a great car and extremely fast for a production car.

I'll miss that car. But it didn't fit my current life style. So it was time to say goodbye.

The replacement is a 20 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO. In ARMY Green. This is more fitting to my life style of late. Very Happy We are a family of cattle ranchers. And I drive about 5 miles of gravel roads. To get to the ranch. The tundra handles the roads very well.

I picked the top of the line offering. That way in 5 years I'll get a good resale value out of it.

Carry on. Sorry for the small thread hijack.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

SORRY you had to to let go that beauty of a bug. Looks like all she needs is some wash and wax. You don't find them like that anymore. good job keeping it intact over the years.

I have only let go 1 crewcab and 2 bugs in my lifetime. I used all mine till the wrecking yard claimed them. I gave away two bugs on top of that. my brother and a friend.

One day I will drive one again. But I have to find the urge -

I may do a Thing or another bus in the future. If I stop doing engines maybe I will have time to finish another car.

stay safe all.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

With every goodbye, there is a new hello.

A tip of the hat from one of the generation of 'new custodians' to you, sir. We need good bugs to be let loose to keep the 'drive' for ACVWs alive. If all that's offered for sale is rusty junk- no newbies will join the ACVW community.

Here's the day I picked mine up from a great gentleman who realized he was not giving the 'ol girl the proper attention and passed the keys to me Very Happy

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

We did the exact same thing with the exact same Uhaul rig 2 weeks ago. Did you find the ramps a tad narrow? LOL
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Goodbye to a friend Reply with quote

I had a similar story on my Squareback, but the other way around. I too believe these old VW’s are meant to be driven. I bought my 70 squareback from a fellow VW enthusiast in late December 2019 for $500. He had bought it the year prior from the original owners family. It had sat since March 1976. He had it for a year and realized he wasn’t going to get to it and didn’t want it to just sit and keep rotting away and continuing to be a mouse castle. So he decided to sell it and I saw a good deal on it on Craigslist, I bought it and gave it the proper job, rebuild the engine, new brakes, etc. I got a good price on it since he wanted to pass it onto the next generation, like me. Now I’ve already put 3,000+ miles on it since finishing it up. Before and after

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: