Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:52 am    Post subject: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

If this is the wrong Forum for this, I apologize.
I never knew these existed until a year ago and I've never seen one in person, but I like it! Cool car. Built on a Type 3 platform by Karmann in Brazil.

It's so different that it seems like it deserved to have it's own unique name. From what I've read, they never were
offered for sale in the US which is unfortunate. I think they would have done well. This one just came up for auction on BAT Auctions.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

What a coincidence, Marc. I too have just "found" this car today, and had never heard of it before. I lived in Dubai from 74 - 80, and there were a number of Pumas there, which I always considered but (unfortunately) never did commit to. Crying or Very sad
Even travelling around Brasil and South America for 6 months in 2014/15, I never saw a TC. I did see lots of locally built Fiat 500's and 650's in Chile, and toyed with taking one of them home, but again, never quite got a Round Tuit.
So for me to "find" them today, and then see your message, I find to be a big coincidence, and just had to reply !!
I shall learn more, and hopefully see one in the flesh. Maybe I need to go back to Brasil and try to find one !!
I just bought a 1970 Fastback because I thought it was rare enough to be fun. Now I have something else to search for !! Laughing
Giles
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

Personally, I'm not a big fan, you'll occasionally find them here in the Samba Classifieds and not unusual to see them at shows in Europe.

A couple of previous topics on them:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251497
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569622
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
....and not unusual to see them at shows in Europe.

Yep... like the one at the 2017 Hesisch Oldendorf.

Nicholas
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

sputnick60 wrote:

Yep... like the one at the 2017 Hesisch Oldendorf.

Nicholas

This car has wonderful styling, and in this red color, wow, what a beautiful ride. In spite of the Karmann Ghia name, I can't really compare it to the more popular Ghia, simply because styling evolved emensly from the early 50's to the late 60's. It's really from a very different era in car design. I could see one in my garage. Very Happy

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

Off topic but I wonder if you like this VW SP2 as well:

1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!

Last edited by Trylon on Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:24 am; edited 1 time in total
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

I've seen the TCs before. They remind me of a Chevy Vega Neutral

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

A friend of mine has an SP2...vey nice aircooled VW...not a Ghia but also made in the Brasilian Karmann Factory...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
A friend of mine has an SP2...vey nice aircooled VW...not a Ghia but also made in the Brasilian Karmann Factory...

It’s got a very real Porsche feel!
And it’s still aircooled!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

The TC does not interest me, though the only one I ever saw in person was at the VW museum in Wolfsburg in the 1990's. Could not get close to it to view inside. I think it would be a nice car to drive, with the extra interior width of the Type 3 pan and the narrow roof pillars for an "open space" feeling. "Greenhouse" (beltline up) styling reminds me a bit of the Italian design firm Frua, such as on the Glas 1300 GT (later BMW 1600 GT). IMO those skinny VW typical wheels makes the car look slightly "top heavy". A set of Porsche 914 5.5" alloys on some 185/65 tires would go a very long way to make it look more "substantial".
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Off topic but I wonder if you like this VW SP2 as well:

Has more of an exotic look. I like it but how do I put the top down! Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I've seen the TCs before. They remind me of a Chevy Vega Neutral
I too am also reminded of the Chevy Vega whenever I look at a Karmann Ghia TC.

I compared photos of the two cars when this thread was begun earlier this week, and while there is indeed a general similarity between the two there were also many more subtle differences than I had remembered/imagined.

The TC definitely has a more European flair than the Vega, ... but for me it doesn't have any of the appeal that the original Type I Karmann Ghia design has.

I also had the same thought regarding the SP2 - I think that car's design does a much better job of capturing at least the spirit of the original Karmann Ghia, if not any of the actual design details, than does the TC.

... but let's face it, the original Karmann Ghia design is a Very tough act to follow!
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:

... but let's face it, the original Karmann Ghia design is a Very tough act to follow!

Sorta like you KG.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

I always think They have a Ford Pinto / Chevy Vega look.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Not too bad. Looks kinda like an early-ish Mangusta and mid-to-late '60s E-Type coupe' had a kid of stunted growth and, VOILA!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

That Sp2 ain’t bad looking. I’ve always dug the 80’s puma

rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

I remember the Puma's well and wanted one immediately when I saw one. My dad had the opportunity to build and be a distributor of the Puma, but he backed off since we were already building street/dune buggy's and regular VW's. Back then it wasn't so restrictive being considered a manufacturer since we were using stock VW pans and everything else was considered a "kit car".

I so wanted one of those Pumas, and wish to this day I could get one....maybe if I ever get my Ghia finished, that could be my next project to hunt down!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The "Other" Karmann Ghia - Karmann Ghia TC Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:

I so wanted one of those Pumas, and wish to this day I could get one....maybe if I ever get my Ghia finished, that could be my next project to hunt down!
Jeff

https://www.reezocar.com/en/occasion/volkswagen+puma.html Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: