Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90 Camper with AC rear speaker question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

My original rear speakers are not like the ones in my 82. These are Blaupunkt speakers that are retained through the grill with 4 screws from the outside of the cabinet. OE part number still on the speaker. 251035411C

Speaker must be removable from outside the cabinet. You need the access to connect and disconnect the AC drain tubes. I searched and lots of threads about putting in bigger speakers. Thats not what I intend to do.

Speaker cutout is just over 3 1/2 inches. Most aftermarket 4 inch speakers are too large for that cutout.

Here is my question. Has anyone found a drop in speaker that fits the stock mounting holes and the cutout? Ideally it would include a grill. The non grill speakers are not my taste. Thank you.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:

Here is my question. Has anyone found a drop in speaker that fits the stock mounting holes and the cutout? Ideally it would include a grill. The non grill speakers are not my taste. Thank you.

the problem is needing to find someone with currently available speakers. that market changes designs every year.

i have a pair of kenwood 4" speakers from about 8 years ago that fit, but... a newer model may not. a spacer might be the best option for you to bring the speaker housing proud of the opening to gain frame clearance.

BiWerks Design, LLC
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

Mark,

Sorry, I have standard speakers, not the high end ones you are talking about. However, you are mentioning needing to remove speakers to deal with the drains. Is this also a question? I got sick of that problem, and cut slots in the cabinet sides so as to hook up the drains prior to cabinet install.

Also, I am seeking different speakers, here is why. Not real sure about how to deal with this new cover:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

The 90 camper has the AC blowers mounted against the cabinet face. The only access is through the speakers even to access the speak wiring. I'm considering notching for the AC drain hoses, but don't want to give up the speaker access.

These old speakers don't appear to be fancy. I listen to NPR mostly. So don't need anything fancy. I noticed some Pioneer 4 inch on Amazon that fit a 3.5" cutout. No grills. I may get them and see if I can make them work with the old grills. Thank you.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

Pioneer 4" speakers fit just fine. Don't know if they're still available.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Kam, I don't suppose you have a part number? Anyhow, I can see the recess for the original duct work in the cabinet face. Did you toss the duct work and come up with a something more basic? Looks like I can see plastic caps where the original center vent support attached to the ceiling. Also, did you add 2 support brackets? I see 4 bolts on the face. Interesting mod. I'm assuming it cools better? Or was yours falling apart? Thanks. Mark
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

Mark:

Those are the speakers GoWesty used to sell. The part number is here:

https://www.gowesty.com/quickview.php?v=&id=23319

You can reuse your speaker grills over them or use the Pioneer grills provided.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

termuehlen wrote:
Mark:

Those are the speakers GoWesty used to sell. The part number is here:

https://www.gowesty.com/quickview.php?v=&id=23319

You can reuse your speaker grills over them or use the Pioneer grills provided.

That answers the question. What's weird is I looked at GW's website and searched Speaker and nothing came up yesterday. Thank you.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

Kam, I don't suppose you have a part number? Anyhow, I can see the recess for the original duct work in the cabinet face. Did you toss the duct work and come up with a something more basic? Looks like I can see plastic caps where the original center vent support attached to the ceiling. Also, did you add 2 support brackets? I see 4 bolts on the face. Interesting mod. I'm assuming it cools better? Or was yours falling apart? Thanks. Mark

Yeah, GW sold/sells those speakers, but I bought 'em elsewhere. Put Rockford-Fosgate 4"ers up front in the doors due to dash clearance.

That photo is one I just took and is as the van currently sits. I performed the popular "plenumectomy": https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=424773 . Short version: http://oldbluesblog.com/files/RemovingthePlenum.pdf .

Did nothing but add two dummy bolts into the cabinet face for aesthetics, rerouted the speaker wires, made a grille for the fan opening, and put the rubber plenum trim back in the groove. Instead of looking at ceiling holes, I put the plenum screws and caps back in place.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

Kam, what are your initial impressions? Do they align with the linked thread? My plastic center supports need to be reinforced. They were all broken where the screws attached.

It looks a little unfinished as did the early ones, but if it blows the AC forward better, seems like a no brainer. Thank you.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Kam, what are your initial impressions? Do they align with the linked thread? My plastic center supports need to be reinforced. They were all broken where the screws attached.

It looks a little unfinished as did the early ones, but if it blows the AC forward better, seems like a no brainer. Thank you.

The PDF I made/linked pretty much says it all. Wink

Airflow nearly doubles with the plenum/duct removed. I haven't used fan speed 4 since removing it.

Rhino Designs sells a custom grille you can install so that you're not looking at an ugly gaping hole.
2016 Golf GTI S
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

Just reading the other thread now. My brain hurts. I understand both sides of the argument. Would certainly save some time. This project has already morphed into way more time than I planned. Thanks.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Rhino Designs sells a custom grille you can install so that you're not looking at an ugly gaping hole.

That is the one I show sitting on the chair. From discussion with Jimf909, they apparently wouldn't sell him just the plastic part. I didn't ask, I just liked it, and bought it. I am pondering taking the cabinet back apart, and attaching the new face in its place. But, as is, it is intended to just be a cover. Not sure how to get it flush, as the carrier bolts stick slightly out. Plus the need to cut holes for whatever speakers I decide on. Yet another decision I am putting off until I get furloughed.. ugh.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

Looks like I have the same Pioneer 4" speakers in back as what kamz has. I believe they are Pioneer 2 way, # TS-D1002R D series.

Craig
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 90 Camper with AC rear speaker question Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:

That is the one I show sitting on the chair. From discussion with Jimf909, they apparently wouldn't sell him just the plastic part.

Really? They used to sell just the grille. That's odd...

https://uniwerksdesign.com could whip one up though. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: