Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel AAZ injectors and pump (+ broken crankshaft)?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel AAZ injectors and pump (+ broken crankshaft)? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
we've all been there. personally, i feel diesel ownership is a false economy on anything made past about 1992. i have since flushed anything and everything i knew about vw diesels when i sold my last jetta

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Funniest and silliest thing I've seen posted so far this week on the internet. Good start to the week. Thanks for that.

I think there are plenty of people who probably shouldn't own diesels and even more that shouldn't work on them.

They have been remarkably cost-effective transportation for me for the last 20 years and the 92-03 engines are MORE reliable than the earlier ones.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel AAZ injectors and pump (+ broken crankshaft)? Reply with quote

My wife drove an 82 rabbit diesel 4 door for many years with a decent daily commute. It occurred to me after a few years of her driving it, I never had to work on it. The only time it died was at the front gate when the radiator let go. Great mpg, reliability, and extremely low maintenance in that application.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel AAZ injectors and pump (+ broken crankshaft)? Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Funniest and silliest thing I've seen posted so far this week on the internet. Good start to the week. Thanks for that..

you're welcome.

talk to anyone with DPF issues, SCR, EGR, EGR cooler issues.... bet most of them wished they own a gasser. and yea, i know theses can be deleted/tuned out....so do the feds who have cracked down on tuners and owners alike

i've been maintaining diesels for years...Cat, Perkins, Continental etc.

anyway i will agree with there is a lot of people that shouldn't touch them, let alone modify/mix/match parts.

his broken crank is probably due to fueling/timing issues or perhaps even over revving and balance issues.

never a good idea to shovel a crank into a block without measuring every last thing...who knows the mains could have been pounded and the block could have needed a bore to true up the saddles....that goes for gas and diesel.

when he said it sounded "off" that was a red flag imho... i can hear a poorly timed/fueled diesel from a mile away.

sad that he's got to live this nightmare all over again.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Diesel AAZ injectors and pump (+ broken crankshaft)? Reply with quote

No DPF or SCR on any of the mk3 or Mk4 TDI's. EGR issues? You mean cleaning the intake once every 200,000 miles if you don't bother to legally turn down the EGR in vag-com or install a provent? I've never had any EGR cooler issues.

As far as the OP, they are either the unluckiest person around or they make their issues. What they describe are flukes and have nothing to do with 99.9999% of diesel owners.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel AAZ injectors and pump (+ broken crankshaft)? Reply with quote

[speculation]I'd be curious to see what #1 cylinder, rod and piston looked like after all this mayhem. The only way I can imagine this happening is the rod bending and wedging the piston in the cylinder bore. I suppose over-revving and poor timing might lead to this type of event, but I've just never seen nor heard of such a thing happening on a VAG diesel before.[/speculation]

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: