Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
itsawesty wrote:
The gauges were sent off to Reap Automotive Design in the UK for refurbishment, custom guage faces and modification (4 cyl tach, convert the oil level to CHT). Gauge faces were then painted in the contrasting colour I'd chosen for the wheels
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

itsawesty wrote:
whats better than a pair of IDA's? detailed IDA's!

Man, I love the level of your attention to detail!

Can't wait to see the entire package once it's been "completed", ...

... although I'm guessing you may be the type of person that never actually considers their projects to be 100% "complete" because there's always one small detail or another that you feel needs tweeking to make it better. Smile

I sincerely hope that you actually get some serious time behind the wheel driving that beautiful Karmann Ghia, and that you enjoy the ride as much as you appear to be enjoying the build.

Thanks for taking the time to share your progress.

thanks mate. Yeah this build has been an interesting journey of ups and downs, and absolutely they've never 'done' its continuous improvment. This post is largely retrospective - the car is 95% done, some final fit and teaks of the interior and it will be time to drive. First engine start and cam burn was yesterday Cool
2003 911
www.hertfordshirevehiclestorage.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Tunnel mods?

taking huge inspiration from Danny Gabbard Gab-Fab, the next step was cutting the spine out of the floor pan /chassis. Danny had shared some great detail on this and we stole with pride.

There were a couple of reasons for doing this. Primarily it allowed me to mount the electronic fuel pump /filter inside the tunnel, and remove all the original narrow and likely clogged with old petrol tar shit fuel lines. Along the way we also welded an8 boss to the fuel tank, made the required mods for an bulkhead fuel fittings, and cleaned all the shit out of the tunnel. Fuel supply will be an8 to the pump, an6 on to the carbs via a malpassi regulator, all with aeroquip push on hose. Cry once they say Very Happy

Yeah, secondly gaining access to the inside of the tunnel also allowed us to media plast/powder coat inside (removing decades of grime, wasp nests, rodent shit, and some seriously stinky fuel pipes). It also meant i could run the rear brake pipe in an3 teflon through the tunnel. The spine is secured with floating anchor nuts, welded to the main floor.

while we were focussed on the floorpan, the required mods to the handbrake mount were made to accept the 'porsche 550' style handbrake.

2003 911
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

I'm a huge Le Mans fan, and have been fortunate enough to experience the main event and classic le mans. The coolest race car ever is easilly the Porsche 917 (in my opinion of course) so when it came to choose wheels, where else to go for inspiration than those gorgeous thick 5 spoke porsche 917 wheels.

I came across Augment Wheels https://www.augmentwheels.com/ who could custom build pretty much any design i cared for. I asked for a Porsche 917 inspired wheel, and they delivered!!

these are 3 piece, 16" x 5 front 16" x 6 rear in a custom offset to maximise arch fill and consider the Airkewld wilwood disc brake setup (which adds a few mm )
I'm absolutley loving how these came out. Painted Porsche Crayon

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

a great day today, collected my Porsche 911 gauges from Reap Automotive design http://www.reapautomotivedesign.com/. These are original Porsche 911 gauges, rebuilt, modified (4 cyl tach, CHT replace oil level) with the central tachometer in Porsche Crayon with Karmann Ghia logo.

Steering wheel is a momo heritage california. I'm really happy with how this all came out, time to get these gauges wired up.

The mods to the dash allowed some creativity with ign switch, and the placement of the light/wiper switch.
The ignition switch is a new Bosch Porsche 356 ignition switch. This is a simple screw clamp type mounting with big beefy period style screw terminals. It has been mounted under the dash on the left

lights/wiper switch are again mounted under the dash.

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Seat Day!

I'd spotted a nice Porsche 914 at a local show a few years back and was drawn to the seats. I knew they were what i wanted for the lowlight ghia.

These don't come up for sale as a pair in the UK much, (the passenger side seat on early 914's is 'fixed' to the firewall) but i found a set complete with the frames (which can also be hard to come buy). Even when these seats do come available, they're usually in bad shape.

all finished and 1 mounted in the car today

These have been trimmed in Porsche 718 sportex fabric in the centres with vinyl bolsters/seat backs, and some nice nickel eyelets.

The seats are mounted on the original Porsche 914 seat bases/mounts, which we removed the height adjustment handle from, and welded box section to the bottom (profiled to match the floor) to give me back the height needed to give a good driving position with the steering wheel

Really happy with how this all came out, can't wait to put some miles in these seats
2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

got her out the garage for a quick clean. didnt have time for a full wax or detailed wash but the dust and grime (silicone spray leaves a proper mess) from buildup was annoying me.

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

on the final stretch now.......interior getting close to being done

I do enjoy recycling original parts in a slightly different way. The original hinges for the rear bench came in useful for my rear bench, and gives me access to all the electronics for the air ride/crank trigger.

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

i’ve had the door cards waiting to be installed a while but futzing with the door window glass (what a PITA to get alignment right) had postponed getting them on. Really happy with how these came out, intention was to mirror the original style with my choice of fabrics. I used some neat little black anodised cup washers to secure these to the door, with rubber rivnuts.

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

some more random shots. excuse the dust shes badly needing a clean!

2003 911
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

Very Sharp work!

However, I would ask if you had considered door card trim washers that are a bit larger in diameter?

https://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/mediumlarge/BSP-100-078A_ml.jpg

bryan
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

"I used some neat little black anodised cup washers to secure these to the door, with rubber rivnuts."

I like what I see and would appreciate more details abut the washers and rivnuts you used. Would you mind?
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

I think I said it before, I am more an original/oldspeed Fan but your attention to details, the special parts,..makes it a really cool build!!
Thanks for sharing!
Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

So why did you leave the hump on the back of the 914 headrests on when you recovered the seats?
I bet they would look better if the square block was shaved off on the back?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

The Ghia (or me) got an early xmas present.......

Treated her to a repro Judson scoop.
Yes, I know its the wrong way round.
No, I don't have a Judson supercharger.

But, I do have a 2276 and some big IDA's so anything to help airflow for the engine and cooling I'll take.
Plus its cool Very Happy

got a little bit of trimming the seal/fit and it'll be ready for paint.

2003 911
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

itsawesty wrote:
The Ghia (or me) got an early xmas present.......

Treated her to a repro Judson scoop.
Yes, I know its the wrong way round.
No, I don't have a Judson supercharger.

But, I do have a 2276 and some big IDA's so anything to help airflow for the engine and cooling I'll take.
Plus its cool Very Happy

Ah who's to say it's the wrong way round. Smile

I've seen quite a few Judson Scoops fitted that way...one in my Gallery pictures was fitted to Brent Carter's '66. He drove the Ghia across the States and shipped across The Atlantic to visit the Hessisch Oldendorf Show in 2005:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Ah who's to say it's the wrong way round. Smile

I've seen quite a few Judson Scoops fitted that way...one in my Gallery pictures was fitted to Brent Carter's '66. He drove the Ghia across the States and shipped across The Atlantic to visit the Hessisch Oldendorf Show in 2005:

Cheers John, I saw those pics and your comments convinced me to go for it. I think it looks better this way round and has to be good for airflow.

I only drilled the 6 holes required for mounting, the vent grills are intact. (but the brave pill was required anyway)
2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

The last piece of the gauges wiring puzzle got solved.
I'm running original Porsche 911 gauges and the speedometer is electronic, driven off a sensor in the 911 gearbox. My preference was to try and drive this off a GPS speed transmitter and the 911 speedo is looking for 6400 pulses per mile. Most GPS speed sensors output much more than this -10000-20000 pulses. I found a few threads on pelican forums discussing gearbox/speedo conversions referencing this-
https://www.autometer.com/universal-gps-speedometer-interface-module.html

infinitely configurable, easy to wire in and setup and a quick test drive confirmed its accuracy. Not cheap but it works and was pretty easy to wire in and setup

2003 911
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

itsawesty wrote:

Cheers John, I saw those pics and your comments convinced me to go for it. I think it looks better this way round and has to be good for airflow.

I only drilled the 6 holes required for mounting, the vent grills are intact. (but the brave pill was required anyway)

Yep Brent said his Judson ran a lot cooler that way round. At least you didn't have to cut the vents to fit a Judson Aircleaner. Smile

You can also experiment by switching it around in the winter for a quicker warm up. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

sun has started to shine, the ghia came out to play and have a clean.

2003 911
itsawesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: kennys san diego lowlight resto modified build Reply with quote

took a bit longer than expected but i got my judson scoop painted the roof colour and got it back on

hooked up the innovate lm2 wideband and made progress jetting the IDA’s

for anyone interested, I’ve landed with 60 idle 120idle air 150main f11 200 air. i’m getting .8-.9 lambda wide open, and about the same cruising at 65-70 mph. i tried going leaner on the idles but she protested with a lot of farting and bucking.

2003 911
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: