Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to buy an older Tacoma
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Good morning, Hope this is the best place to post this. My son (16) and I are driving to the CO/WY area next week for about a month. Will be in the mountain west from roughly Denver to Jackson, WY and would love to find a Tacoma in the 2002-2006 range to buy for his first vehicle- hopefully from someone who has cared for it well - which is what Samba people do. We have seen plenty for sale online but of course knowing at least a little background is nice and finding a good seller can make all the difference. If you have one or know a lead on a good one, I would greatly appreciate it. Being from the northeast, rust is our biggest concern. He would prefer a standard but it's not a deal breaker. 4x4 with a 6 foot bed. Thanks for any thoughts. Bob
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

I believe that Tacomas up to 2003 are the nice sized ones, that later ones are physically larger.

Myself: I have two Frontiers, 1998 (260K miles) and 2004 (105K), both 4-cylinders with timing chain and 5-speeds, great AC too. Both very reliable, nice trucks. It appears more of the 4-cylinder models are manual transmissions than the V6 models.

In 2005 Frontiers got big too.

Tacoma will generally run a couple of thousand $$$ more than a Frontier.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

be careful

https://carfromjapan.com/article/industry-knowledge/the-history-of-toyota-tacoma-frame-recall/

I have heard issues that some shops have reported the replacement frames have begun to rust.

I try to buy one from Arizona with no paint left and cooked plastic before I would consider one from the northern states

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I have actually had 4 different Toyota trucks, including a 92 4x2 that I drove all through Mexico and a 98 that was recalled - they bought it back from me for $12,500 after I had 150,000 miles on it. Currently have a 2007 Tundra with a recalled/replaced frame - we'll see how it holds up. I am not averse to driving farther south. Guess I thought that CO in general was not considered to be the rust belt. Obviously it depends on what they are spreading on the road these days. Also have always had an appreciation for Frontiers, but it's not for me. Once a 16 gets his mind set on something.......If you see something, please give me a shout!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

i see some nice ones that pop up on BAT every now and then that are in great shape

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-toyota-tacoma-sr5-4x4-4/
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

I’ve had a bunch of them and currently own 3 2006 Tacoma’s. Why? Because I know them and what goes wrong with them. Frame rust is a concern yes buy from a southern or southwest location. Also be aware 05 and early 06 has head gasket issues. Go over to Tacoma world forums for information on that and everything else.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

https://www.tacomaworld.com/
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips but just to clarify, I'm wondering if any Samba folks have one for sale, or know of anyone who does. Have a great summer all.
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Try your local Offer Up site.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

CO, WY, and neighboring states, though often snowbound, don't generally salt their highways. Even in winter, humidity is pretty low overall (that 's what makes the skiing so good) Some local municipalities might salt their streets. AZ and NM cars may be very dry, but CO and WY should present well, and not have the burnt paint and interior issues common with high heat/sun exposure.

Wish I had a lead for you here in the Northwest. I know many people with those trucks, but none for sale right now. I'll keep and eye out though.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Thanks cdennisg - I appreciate you keeping your eyes out. I'd love a reason to drive up your way. Have had some amazing trips to your area. Bob
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

I know it is just a craigslist ad, and I do not know the guy, but stuff like this is out there. The Spokane and Coeur d Alene area are pretty dry overall, especially Eastern WA and areas South and West of there. Same goes for Southern and Southeast Idaho

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/four-lakes-2002-toyota-tacoma/7126408540.html
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
I know it is just a craigslist ad, and I do not know the guy, but stuff like this is out there. The Spokane and Coeur d Alene area are pretty dry overall, especially Eastern WA and areas South and West of there. Same goes for Southern and Southeast Idaho

https://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/d/four-lakes-2002-toyota-tacoma/7126408540.html

Lots of miles on that one !
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Lots of miles on that one !

Yep. Probably used to commute along I-90 between Cheney (West of Spokane) and CdA. Lots of dry, high mileage vehicles in this region that have done exactly that.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

bobhill8 wrote:
Thanks for all the tips but just to clarify, I'm wondering if any Samba folks have one for sale, or know of anyone who does. Have a great summer all.

I am a samba folk and I happen to have a Tacoma for sale. It’s a 2006 XRunner w/145k miles carefully maintained by myself. I’m forth owner but can trace it back to new. Spent most of its life in Northwest Texas so no rust issues. Do some googling on x runner and see why it’s different than standard Tacoma. Six speed manual transmission, lowered, handles like a sports car but has a truck bed. Comes in access cab configuration only. It’s going up on autotrader.com next week. I ended up with more than I can say grace over. I got an 06 long wheel base SR5 for my dad and then he didn’t want. I keep the other 06 short wheel base Sport at my other home in St. Louis. The x will go, this one has been sorted out.
PM me if you are interested.
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

I had a 2002 v6 4x4. Terrible gas mileage. I’d of rather had a full-size if I was gonna burn all that gas anyway.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
bobhill8 wrote:

I am a samba folk and I happen to have a Tacoma for sale. It’s a 2006 XRunner w/145k miles carefully maintained by myself. I’m forth owner but can trace it back to new. Spent most of its life in Northwest Texas so no rust issues. Do some googling on x runner and see why it’s different than standard Tacoma. Six speed manual transmission, lowered, handles like a sports car but has a truck bed. Comes in access cab configuration only. It’s going up on autotrader.com next week. I ended up with more than I can say grace over. I got an 06 long wheel base SR5 for my dad and then he didn’t want. I keep the other 06 short wheel base Sport at my other home in St. Louis. The x will go, this one has been sorted out.
PM me if you are interested.

Did they make those in 4wd? OP is looking for 4wd.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

I admire the vision but how are you going to move it across the country to MA?
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Hey Abscate - a valid question. We are driving a beat up Corolla out west that owes me nothing. IF I find the magic vehicle, I will either sell the Corolla for short dough on FB Marketplace near whatever town I am in, or donate it to some local charity (NOT Kars for Kids!). If we don't find a truck, we just drive home.
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to buy an older Tacoma Reply with quote

Thanks Zund - I had a similar 98 to what you are selling. Nice truck, but not what my son is looking for. Def wants the 4x4. Best of luck with the sale.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: