Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beating the man...mower repair.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

Go gas... end of story
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

Chickensoup wrote:
Go gas... end of story

Huh?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Chickensoup wrote:
Go gas... end of story

Huh?

I think he's referring to that pre mixed canned gas that's about $20 a gallon, it claims to be good for 3-4 years. I'll stick with my 94 octane non ethanol (and for the 2 strokes) high end mix oil myself. I burn better than 50 gallons a year in my lawn equipment.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

we aren't talking about electric mowers? im lost....
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

I’m in my 5th year on the dual battery cordless

No gas, oil, quiet, and no smell.

Never going back to gas mower for my 2 0,75 acre lawns
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

My local lawn and garden equipment peddler tried to talk me into an electric brushcutter last week (makita), I almost bit until the truth came out that unless I had ~10 extra $80ea batteries sitting on $200 per pair chargers waiting to go there's no way I could run it all day. A gallon of gas gets me 4 or 5 instant recharges and a tankfull still lasts longer than a couple batteries. They have their uses and I really considered it, but the tech just isn't quite there yet for my needs, especially since the E version cost the same as gas before batteries and chargers.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
My local lawn and garden equipment peddler tried to talk me into an electric brushcutter last week (makita), I almost bit until the truth came out that unless I had ~10 extra $80ea batteries sitting on $200 per pair chargers waiting to go there's no way I could run it all day. A gallon of gas gets me 4 or 5 instant recharges and a tankfull still lasts longer than a couple batteries. They have their uses and I really considered it, but the tech just isn't quite there yet for my needs, especially since the E version cost the same as gas before batteries and chargers.

A friend of mine recently bought the Makita string trimmer. I plan to buy one soon. Excellent for my needs, and I already have a stack of batteries to fit.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

A friend of mine recently bought the Makita string trimmer. I plan to buy one soon. Excellent for my needs, and I already have a stack of batteries to fit.

Me too, and like I said I was really close to pulling the trigger on it, but it just didn't have the jam to deal with ~5 acres of blackberries and small trees, I'd be asking a little too much of it. For a smaller yard with tamer vegitation I'd be all over it.

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

Quote:
but it just didn't have the jam to deal with ~5 acres of blackberries

Nice, that’s quite a spread, especially if it’s toasty out.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
but it just didn't have the jam to deal with ~5 acres of blackberries

Nice, that’s quite a spread, especially if it’s toasty out.

Builds character, it's like going to the gym but you accomplish something useful and can see the results instantly. We used to run an army of Goats to do it, but nearby housing development has crowded all the Coyotes into our valley and the loss rate was getting too high.

Слава Україні!
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

I'm on a qtr acre and have been using my 40v ryobi mower and string trimmer a year and a half now. so far so good but you do have to keep it mowed, it doesnt like super long or wet grass. I bought more attachments for the trimmer, pole saw is nice, hedge trimmer is super nice. The edger would probably be ok but the jack ass that put in my brick driveway left some longer than others and the grass hides it... Clunk goes the edger wheel as it takes a chunk out of the brick and flings it into my shin Laughing

if you are contemplating electric mowers, look on facebook market place or offerUp. lots of cheap stuff where people bought them just for the batteries and chargers
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

my grass is about 6" now....lots of rain lately as usual and oh so hot...no hoter than that!! Im not sure my mower will go through it all& I doubt I can either... so....when your done beating the man, come and get you some of this!!!!please!!!
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
my grass is about 6" now....lots of rain lately as usual and oh so hot...no hoter than that!! Im not sure my mower will go through it all& I doubt I can either... so....when your done beating the man, come and get you some of this!!!!please!!!

I will never miss that thick Florida grass. Why even bother mowing your lawn in the Florida summer??
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:

Down south we had a wide blade grass called St. Augustine is this what you have? Let it get thick and makes for harder to cut. Up in Midwest mostly Bermuda and some fescue. We are cutting 2+ acres with a Hustler Fastrack. That volume precludes using electric I think. My strategy is start early or near sundown to beat the heat. Very Happy
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

My yard, about 2/3 of an acre, has some St. Augustine and some of whatever comes up when any bare dirt is left alone for a couple of weeks around here. I have to cut every 4 or so days at this time of year or I will be baling hay.

I buy some parts from the very expensive small engine shop down the street, but I do all my own work. I have a 20+ year old craftsman lawn tractor that I manage to keep going ... new tires this year, new spindle bearings and blades every couple of years, complete new deck about 5 years ago. Mowers here rot out long before the engines die.

My push mower (for trimming) has a really nice honda engine, but the deck is falling apart.

I have a battery powered ryobi string trimmer that I like a lot. I see Ryobi now makes a battery powered riding mower. I would like to see one in action.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

Don’t know if this works but it might slow down the rust on deck. It gets good reviews. https://www.amazon.com/Tite-Seal-MDS11-Mower-Protectant-Fluid_Ounces/dp/B01BVA7CWQ
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

I have st augistine,centipead and burmuda...I hate the burmuda. you can mow 10 feet long strip and the mower is full. as augistine you can mow almost10 x as much befor having to empty the bag. it's a lot heaver but you only have to empty it 1 time with st augstine & centerpeed. I mowed about 3/4 of the front yard around 6pm...hot as hell , skin burning, I was wore out and the mower was too..so...somebody gonna have to finish it up tomarow...or sometime. Rolling Eyes if you dont have grass hear you have a sand pit.Im not fond of sand. Shocked unless there are bikini's on it. Wink Im so wore out I cant sleep. and brain wont turn off..... and tomorrow I wont be able to turn it on.....go figure. I spent most of the day making sawdust...probably will tomorow too.
in the sun... and probably finish the grass...or let the wife doo it Popcorn
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

When my gets too long I get Big Duke Onthe horn, he calls in the fast movers and napes it back into the Stone Age...

Leaving a smell like........victory.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Beating the man...mower repair. Reply with quote

gotter done! and more sawdust too!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: