Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back again!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Back again! Reply with quote

Been gone from the bus forum since we sold our 78 Westy at the end of the year in 2013. I had a disc “ explode “ in my lower back, and the doc said” no more VW stuff for you!” . We had just completed what was to be the best Westy we had ever built! I could not stand just looking at it in the garage day after day, and sold it. To make a very long story short .... I proved the doc wrong. Took a while, but restored our two verts starting in 2015. But, life is just not “right” for us without a bus. Just does not feel right. So, starting at the beginning ... all over again! Will update the build as we progress.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Looks like your Bus took you out there..... Wink Wink
Anyway, congratulations on coming back to the fold.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Thanks, looking forward to getting back in touch with old friends. Amazing how many of the same folks are still on this forum! Stay safe , and thanks again, Bob
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

welcome back
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

keep on Busin (Truckin)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting at the beginning .... again. Reply with quote

This is going to be a long story, so will start at the beginning. It is good to be on the Samba again, seeing the posts of guys and Gals that we followed back when we restored our 78 Westy. That was supposed to be the “best of the best “. No expense spared, every little detail as good as I could do. Also a show winner in Phoenix at her first show. Then all of the great “ shake down drives” around town to make sure she was ready for the camping season the next spring.
Then, on Christmas Day ( 2013) I was vacuuming the living room, all of a sudden I had this incredible “ knife like “ pain in my lower back, and I fell down .... and could not get up. Dragged myself into the bathroom, grabbed the box of Epsom Salt, ran the water as hot as I could take it .... and somehow got into the tub. Two hours later , I was lucky enough to stand up. Then the doctor visits, xrays , tests, you know the drill. Then the bad news “ sorry Bob , but you might as well sell that camper , as you won’t be able to work on it anymore ... or push up the pop top” .... sorry, but at least you will be able to drive, but not stick. So, after walking by the bus in my garage for a couple of months , we sold the bus. Yes, I got better, found a Chiropracter who guided me back ..... and after whining and pining away.... finally bought another bus last month. This was supposed to be a “ light restoration “. The seller was VERY convincing that all was good, no rust, good motor , good transmission, good steering , had spent lots of money on the resto; most of the interior from NLA, new canvas pop top from Bus Depot, new paint ( windows out).... and supporting photos. And we asked many, many questions. But.... BUT... I committed the cardinal mistake I promised myself I would never make ... didn’t fly back east to see it in the flesh. The virus you know.... but it seemed to be exactly what we had been looking for.
But.... it turned out to be , well not what we expected . So this is the beginning of “ bringing “ the “Pooh bus” ( her new name) back. Kind of like the “Eche bus”, kind of. Pics to follow.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Where did you ever find that sign? Wild things; you used to know me by my “other “ name: Ashley1. We decided to go back to our “ original “ VW Ranch, which I believe we used not long after Everett started the Samba. I know everybody wants to see pics! Didn’t take as many “ before” pics as I should have, but I spent the first month with the bus .,.. underneath it !!!!!!
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Our previous 78 Westy, Ashley1

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
Where did you ever find that sign? Wild things; you used to know me by my “other “ name: Ashley1. We decided to go back to our “ original “ VW Ranch, which I believe we used not long after Everett started the Samba. I know everybody wants to see pics! Didn’t take as many “ before” pics as I should have, but I spent the first month with the bus .,.. underneath it !!!!!!

Sagebrush country of Oregon, just happened upon it a decade back. No VW's to be seen from the road..
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Sorry , but have to put this on “hold” for a while. The “Bush Fire” is about 26 miles south of our house, and getting things ready to leave if we have to . Rather be safe than sorry. The bus is 78 miles away in Mesa, while engine and transmission being rebuilt. The bad thing is our 2 verts are in their own special Tuff sheds behind our house. 🙏 We and the dogs will go in our Odyssey, and maybe take Carolyn’s daily driver, and will move the verts to the garage. Have good homeowners insurance , and verts are agreed value insured. But as we all know ..... they really can’t be replaced . Just do the best we can. You all stay safe. We will “ be back” . Best Wishes, Bob
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Be safe!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Yeah, fires are no fun, so do be careful.

Over the last dozen or so years, we have had four within 5 miles of our house, one having been started by careless target shooters only a half mile away. I saw the smoke from about 15 miles off and headed home, by the time I got there my wife had set a dozen sprinklers and was pumping 50 gallons a minute wetting the area around our house. We spent the evening hours listening to noise of the impact sprinklers while we sat on our deck drinking wine as aerial tankers made pass after pass over our house swooping low to dump their loads between us and the fire.

The prediction for the next day was for 25 mph winds from the south, which would have taken the fire right over us in minutes and likely taken out dozens of homes, so the fire fighters spared no effort in getting the fire contained quickly. The next morning the entire hillside to the south of us was red with retardant.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

any updates or pics bump?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

I have been doing my “ updates” under the subject of the “petrol” smell thread to keep the subject of that thread going... as the raw gas smell was driving me crazy, and when my problem got solved , it would add to the specific information on file. As soon as this problem gets solved, back on to this restoration thread. Thanks for following along!
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Yeah, fires are no fun, so do be careful.

Over the last dozen or so years, we have had four within 5 miles of our house, one having been started by careless target shooters only a half mile away. I saw the smoke from about 15 miles off and headed home, by the time I got there my wife had set a dozen sprinklers and was pumping 50 gallons a minute wetting the area around our house. We spent the evening hours listening to noise of the impact sprinklers while we sat on our deck drinking wine as aerial tankers made pass after pass over our house swooping low to dump their loads between us and the fire.

The prediction for the next day was for 25 mph winds from the south, which would have taken the fire right over us in minutes and likely taken out dozens of homes, so the fire fighters spared no effort in getting the fire contained quickly. The next morning the entire hillside to the south of us was red with retardant.
Two days before Robbie came through my home town, there was a wildfire 3 miles from my home and the temperature was 97 degrees. By the time he came through he was camping in 23 degree weather and there was 10 inches of snow on the ground and all of the trees ( except evergreens) were broken down because they hadn’t lost their leaves yet and couldn’t support the weight of the snow. It was back up in the high eighties today. We’re praying for California and the PNW.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Well, after 6 months .... the bus is getting towed back home. Motor was in and out 5 times at the shop where the work was being done..... and still has a sizeable oil leak! Motor pulled, and my buddy Frenchy DeHoux will take it apart , find out what is going on.... and no doubts here....FIX it! This has been a sad adventure so far, but we will move forward from here. So.... the build will progress from here. I will update as I start on her again !
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Ok, Winnie the bus is back home .... minus the motor. Poking around, I think I may have found another unabated reason for gas fumes ( other than the bad tank replace ...on another thread). I believe I am missing a metal vapor line that runs from the passengers’s side to the center of the rear of the engine compartment where it “t’s into the one from the driver’s side abs then firearm to the canister ?

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment refresh Reply with quote

Starting here. First pass was with my leaf blower on full blast! Lots of dust from sitting outside for a couple of years. Then fantastic and a scrub brush. Then wire wheeled off surface rust. Had already fixed a small hole on the battery tray, coated with POR15. Next, more cleaning and then POR 15 where needed, Rustoleum primer, sand and paint. Had a bit of paint overspray on the wiring , was able to get it all off.

Note the new gas tank ! And incorrect rubber connectors on vapor lines. These won’t last very long, so will replace with the correct 7mm German braided line. Due to recent history (!) I am double checking all work that was done , and will make sure is correct.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine compartment refresh Reply with quote

The Volkswagen Ranch wrote:
so will replace with the correct 7mm German braided line.

Make sure it's rated for ethanol, most braided line isn't.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: