Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back again!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

If you have followed any of my posts, you may remember several months ago I had a problem with my hazard switch..... which the shop that earlier worked on the bus said needed to be replaced. And we were all in question as to whether it even was the correct switch! Actually the problem ended up being a bad flasher relay. Bob
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Removed the yellow (+) wire from the Hazard switch, new connection to fuse box on # 9 fuse (accessory fuse). The other wire actually is so it can be switched on/ off with ignition. “While I was there”.... removed dash bezel , cleaned EVERYTHING including terminals where needed and instrument lighting tiny bulbs/sockets. There were 3 bulbs not functioning.... after the cleaning all three worked! Inside glass on speedometer and warning lights was really dusty/ dirty. Lots of paper towels and Windex did the job. The colored knobs for the heater/fan / defroster vent were all sanded with 2000 grit, then buffed with Meguire’s “X” swirl remover. They turned from near black to the bright colors you see!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Found the dash clips ! Reinstalled the cleaned up dash bezel. I will be either finding a replacement top dash pad, or will figure out how to fix the cracks in mine after I get the bus put back together again.

I didn’t take photos ( guess I should have) of the mess the PO created when he installed the radio cage. After a monumental delicate and nerve wracking several hours, it came out . From there I modified a Super Beetle radio surround to fill the opening.... but beware ! These are longer than the radio opening on the bus dash , and you must shorten them removing about 3/16” using a fine tooth saw. I then modified the bezel that fit around the radio to make it all come together. Lots of filing, dremel cut off wheel modifications! Don’t ask me how long it took. I know it is not perfect, but a few more details to work out and it looks MUCH better that it was. Oh.... I also removed the antenna from the dash and put on a WW antenna .

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Now Winnie has an “outdoor “ antenna .

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Next was to replace the warped and cracked kick panels. Someone had replaced them at some point in the past, but both cracked when removed. You can buy new abs or TMI panels , but these are not hard to do; the 1/8” 2’x4’ pressboard
Panels are only around $6.00 each at Home Depot. The old panels serve as a BASIC template to start, but you will need to fine tune the fit .

Clamp them down and trace. I used my jig saw with a scrolling blade. after cutting you will need to use sandpaper to smooth the edges. Take your time!

Then paint several coats of flat black ( I used Krylon)

The hole for the screw retainer is a little challenge ; pick a point on the louder
As a reference , then measure down and duplicate these measurements on the pressboard and drill a 1/8” hole.
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Now that kick panels had been replaced and front floor really cleaned off , time to move on to the seat pedestals. I was really not looking forward to this, as the PO had NOT really prepped the pedestals properly by cleaning inside them , removing old glue and surface rust , and then replacing the covers. I was not able to find a pictorial in the gallery, so did the best I could to give you some guidelines. I did not have to replace the under seat mats ( with the foam) but the side panels , so if you need to do all remember to clean, clean, and clean more before you glue!

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

I cleaned out the “compartments” under each of the pedestals , sanded off the light surface rust , added metal ready and then POR15.

Since I was not having to remove the under seat mats, masking took quite a while. I also removed and treated lots of little surface rust spots. Primed chipped
Paint above mats ( where they are tucked into the groove) on both pedestals. Used 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover to loosen the old glue(s) and then sanded with medium grit sandpaper to clean off , followed by scrubbing with soapy water and Fantastic.

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Next step is to install the mats. I used WW mats as they have the upper mat for the taller 1976 (and up) year Westfalia. I was able to find old mat pieces to do my ‘78…. But that was 12 years ago…. No such luck this time , but glad that WW is making the mats now that have the correct height. I decided to use Weldwood Contact Cement to install the mats. Make sure you open the top “ groove” that holds the weight of the mat when you install, take a piece of wood ( paint stirring stick works great) and tap the seam shut as you insert the rubber. Glue a straight line just under the groove, and on all uprights as well as at the base of the pedestal as well as on the outside edge and front of each pedestal; that way the front maintains the “ shape” of the front of the mat, you can still open it, and also makes it easy to tuck the edge of the front under the existing foam backed mat. The passenger’s pedestal takes a bit of creative geometry to mate the new mat with the old . You can see in the pics below that I cut and trimmed the old mat to be able to accept the new mat. The small pieces that I had to cut and insert to cover the left rear corner won’t really be visible.

The plastic “corner “ I used I believe is from a deluxe bus. It covers the cuts in the mat that you have to make to fit the mat properly..

On to the driver’s side tomorrow afternoon.
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Fantastic work! Thanks for documenting it.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment! I didn’t see anywhere that a detailed pedestal mat replacement was documented. Not an easy task, takes lots of time ( like everything else) to do it “ right”, but worth it in the end. I am going to finish the
Passenger side hopefully today, and see if “maybe” get the driver’s side done, it is already cut to shape. Then install the new retractable seatbelts. Pics to follow. And then on to the “ galley” cabinets, carpet, bed , etc. working my way from front to back. Of course the slider needs an overhaul ….. and I have a surprise for the slider interior panel replacement, and the deck lid interior panel.
NO NLA expensive warping panels for me! Bob
The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

I am sitting on the sofa with an ice pack on my jaw, recent Oxy pain meds, and antibiotics. Just had a 27 year old crown pop off a wisdom tooth…and as a result the remains of the tooth were “ extracted” about 2 hours ago. So time to catch up on the seat pedestal pics. Lots of weird angles , so lots of strange champ configurations , tape, pieces of wood , etc to make sure there was good pressure on the contact cement overnight.

But the results came out pretty good … what do you think?

The Volkswagen Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Back again! Reply with quote

Installed the retractable seatbelts from BD, and finally finished the details on the front floor; WW patches around the pedals, repaired the frayed plastic sheath with shrink wrap around the wiring to the sink faucet. Cut out a piece of the old pedestal mat to place as a gasket around the parking brake on the floor ( eche_bus), cut out another square piece to glue on the hole in the floor to the left of the shifter ( I know it takes a plug… but could not find one to fit) and wrestled the heavy new WW floor mat into place. Just for grins put the new correct green carpet between the seats ( from Bus Depot). That green is realiy nice! Next will be on to complete tear down and restore both driver’s and passenger’s doors. Then on to the galley. Those doors just have to be done next!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: