Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

That is definitely frustrating, especially when the SS trim I bought from them in 2013 fit my Oval perfectly...so they can get it “right” but are choosing to ignore it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
That is definitely frustrating, especially when the SS trim I bought from them in 2013 fit my Oval perfectly...so they can get it “right” but are choosing to ignore it

Exactly my point! I’m just kind of baffled at this point. I understand that companies will sometimes make a mistake. But now that the problem has been brought to their attention, they seem to be fine with the issue. I think better practice would be to accept the issues and refund the customers that have bought from this short batch. Then contact whoever is producing the part and advise of current issues and have it rectified. Order new batches and ship them directly to the customers who already ordered the bad batches.

Seems like common sense, but to just continue to sell a bad 18 month supply to people at full price without a notice that they are short and to expect poor fitment, just does not seem like the correct course of action. We will see what happens. I reached out to jbugs by email to see if they could measure their door pieces for me and if they have the true length I will order the kit from them.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
""So they stated earlier that all their inventory was cut to the same short length. And now they have an 18 month supply that is all cut to this short length. And they are just going to continue to sell this 18 month supply???""

I don't quite understand.
Before offering for sale, the normal course of business for a self-respecting company like WW or others is to return the goods that do not meet the specifications to their supplier.

Regards.

Yahtzee!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

It’s possible that WW gave their supplier the wrong specification Embarassed
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

A little extra info and pictures of the full 7 piece trim from WW. I compared piece by piece to the original aluminum trim and noted the size differences. Some WW pieces are cut short and a few are cut long. The long I can deal with because I can always take a little away if needed. But the short I cannot work with.

So here are my notes of all the pieces:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the hood trim WW on left / Original on right (WW is 10mm short):

Hood trim is stacked WW on top / Original on the bottom:

Door trim WW both cut to two very close but different lengths. One is 6mm short and the other is 7mm short:

Left Front quarter trim: WW on bottom / Original on top (WW is 4 mm longer)

Right front quarter trim: WW on left / Original on the right (WW 4mm longer)

Left rear quarter trim: WW on left / Original on right (WW is 1 mm longer)

Right rear quarter trim: WW on left / Original on right (WW is 2 mm longer)

Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

If you think this sucks, wait till you start using their window seals and felt channels (buy West Coast Metric)

*Apologies to anyone offended by my post or harsh language in advance.*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
If you think this sucks, wait till you start using their window seals and felt channels (buy West Coast Metric)

*Apologies to anyone offended by my post or harsh language in advance.*

Not to get off topic as this isn’t really meant to be a bash on WW. But I did buy all WCM for all the seals and door components.
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

386Kustoms just purchased stainless trim from WW and emailed me his pictures of his mis-cut trim:

I also reached out to WW about the refund they offered me. I responded to them advising that I would like a refund as these are useless to me. I also inquired about if they will be generating a return label and no restocking fee... they did not respond to my email. 386Kustoms stated in his email to me that he sent WW an email with the pictures above and they did not respond to him.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

I only wish Ev. Would come up with a LIKE emotican.
I agree with you all, we cant settle for inferior products, we get enough of that in other parts of our lives. Jobbers just accept the fact its wrong, give refund include all the frustration that goes with it. Tired of shit that dosent work!

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
386kustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

i am also going to add something not to get off topic, but ww has not responded back to me at all, i also buy a lot of parts from cip1 and i had my first issue a few weeks ago with a chrome piece that looked like it had rust under the chrome. i emailed them and they were very quick with responses and he went in the back and personally looked through every part to find the best one to send out and sent it right away, couldn't be happier with them, now there are a few parts i still need to buy to finish this build and some of the parts are a tad more expensive at cip1 compared to ww but guess what, im spending the few extra dollars with them because of cust service.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Just like 386Kustom - WW never responded to my email from Tuesday about how the refund will work, if they will pay and generate a return label and waive the restocking fee. I just logged onto their website and clicked my account and noticed they did put a $69.00 open credit on my account with the following comment-
“comments: Credit Issued for Defective Return Didn't like the doors being short. No restock. Not received 6/9/20 st”

But I hope they don’t think I’m going to pay for shipping again as I already paid to have this defective product sent back to them. If they want it back I will keep an eye out for a usps, ups, or fedex prepaid return label and will gladly send it back. Other than that it will just sit in the corner of the garage. What a hassle over something they could easily just admit they didn’t know there was an issue until now that it’s been pointed out by multiple customers; and could potentially affect the next 18 months of orders. Then they take action to mitigate the issue and let the customers wanting the product know when it’s been fixed and they are ready to ship a good product. Hell if that was the case I would tell them to just hold onto my money and just mail me a new set once they get their hands on them. The current set is worthless.
scotty timmerman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

I have a set of there aluminum trim and it also is just a touch short. Not as bad as that ss trim. I also have an incomplete set of ss trim that was used that came with my oval that is also short and I got that in November 2017. I don’t know if it’s ww though.
73 super beetle
57 oval: build thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8616563#8616563
63 beetle reassembly: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7458619#7458619
2332cc engine build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8608429&highlight=#8608429
84 vanagon westfalia wolfsburg edition
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

scotty timmerman wrote:
I have a set of there aluminum trim and it also is just a touch short. Not as bad as that ss trim. I also have an incomplete set of ss trim that was used that came with my oval that is also short and I got that in November 2017. I don’t know if it’s ww though.

Man it’s such a bummer because it is such an easy fix. Take the difference and add it on to the end cut of the next batch. They already have the equipment obviously to make the form. It just needs 1 cm added. I cannot comprehend why they would be just ok with supplying a substandard part when they try to state that they provide a quality product. I may just go try to hammer out my originals and polish them up. They have quite a bit of dings in them so it will be a fun little chore
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Just a heads up on this. I reached out to cip1 as they just sent me a notice that they just got trim back in stock. They emailed me pictures of all the pieces beside a measuring tape. The ones they have in stock are consistent with the ones WW is selling. So as bad as it is to just settle for something that might be exactly what we have to do. Booooo lol
ernstben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Hi all,

I reached out to Wolfsburg West to see if they'd addressed the length issues and got the following response:

Hello Ben.

The problem is solved.

Thank you.
Sean

I haven't ordered a set yet as my car is still in paint, but when I do, I'll let the hivemind know.

'63 Ghia Coupe Project
'59 Panel Project
'56 Ragtop Project
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Oh perfect, when do you plan to order them. I would love to see them. If they actually fixed them I will be mailing my bad pieces back and snagging a new set.
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Also just as a heads up, I reached out to Sean at WW and he stated that he would mail me 2 of the stainless door trims for just the shipping cost of 10$ and do not bother mailing back the mid-cut pieces. That was very cool of them to do this and I will post piks once they arrive.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Volksvr6gti wrote:
Also just as a heads up, I reached out to Sean at WW and he stated that he would mail me 2 of the stainless door trims for just the shipping cost of 10$ and do not bother mailing back the mid-cut pieces. That was very cool of them to do this and I will post piks once they arrive.

That's great, but they were selling a known defective product. They should send them at no cost to you.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Volksvr6gti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Just providing a new update. I received the “fixed” WW stainless trim for both the drivers and passengers doors and they are much better. Here is a pik of them side by side to original aluminum trim. It is def a better length than the ones they mailed me a year ago Wink

Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Stainless body trim issue - Wolfsburg west Reply with quote

Definite improvement...but still an RCH short, yeah? Think
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: