Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9 D 1Y or TD AAZ timing cover conversion adaptation in MK1
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: 1.9 D 1Y or TD AAZ timing cover conversion adaptation in MK1 Reply with quote

Hey folks!

I wanted to share this mod for posterity to help engine swappers with their timing belt cover on their AAZ or 1Y engine or whatever other engine with similar layout like the Tdi AHU , 1Z, AFN you name it.
I couldn’t find anything done similar online when I was looking for ideas of how to make the timing belt cover work in a MK1 swap.

The engine mount is in the way of the timing belt cover. The early 1.5 - 1.6 Diesel engines had a metallic timing belt cover with a specific shape to account for the engine mount.

I didn’t have a gasoline engine engine mount so I cut the diesel one to end up with the same type as a gasser mount. Found a NOS VW rubber bushing for Diesel to press in.

Trimming process

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I drilled bigger holes to not have to find an exact spot for the tapped holes in the block since the backing plate for the timing cover can move a bit to be adjusted, it would never be a perfect fit. That stamped hollow post would match the block tapped hole behind but is in the way for the upper engine mount bolt.

I’ve installed a stud for the plastic cover and a washer the same thickness as the metal backing plate to compensate for the big hole lack of material.

Then the idea is to also compensate behind the engine mount for lack of material since the backing plate fills the gap only partially. Here’s a homemade aluminum spacer the same thickness as the backing plate so the engine mount will sit flat onto the block.

Onto the stud for the plastic timing cover I installed a spacer and a M8 threaded coupling. That provides support to avoid crushing down the plastic cover upon tightening while having the engine mount hardware tight.

I hope that can help somebody !

Aloha!

Alika
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: