Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

This is some kind of DMV Limbo . . .

I bought a fiberglass bodied VW at auction in March, and it is now June.
The DMV has partly reopened for some things, like commercial licenses, & they insist I need a VIN inspection.

BUT, Sorry, No available appointments at the DMV until further notice.

I am hoping this doesn't turn into some DMV horror story. Currently, they don't respond to emails past their initial reply to tell me that they can't tell me anything..

I'm hoping nobody torched a DMV last week. This doesn't need to get any slower.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

AAA can do vin inspections, if you are a member.
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

There are plenty of private parties that can do VIN verifications, check craigslist believe it or not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

For in office appts i dont see how they will ever catch up. They were always swamped before shutting down from the virus
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

If you live in a shitty area, you will have a shitty DMV.
Sounds terrible, but it's true.
Try DMV's in more affluent area’s DMV for better service.
Also know exactly what you want, make an appointment,
and don’t be a dick to the DMV employees.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

This car came from a car dealer in so Carolina. It's titled there.

It's already insured with AAA, but DMV just isn't available for this title transaction. No new appointments for this until further notice.

Since the governor has declared temporary amnesty for these issues, I will probably just put it together and drive it.

If I get hassled I would be amazed. The car will attract attention, but I generally drive like an old man in town.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
If you live in a shitty area, you will have a shitty DMV.
Sounds terrible, but it's true.
Try DMV's in more affluent area’s DMV for better service.
Also know exactly what you want, make an appointment,
and don’t be a dick to the DMV employees.

Thanks. The new Clovis DMV is nice, but it is busy when it's open. I can actually see it from the roof of my house. It has only been open short hours, and to complete transactions previously processed. My paperwork didn't make it in time for that.

I would actually like to go to the new Fresno DMV. It's pretty nice, and I did the structural drawings for it before I retired. I've never gone inside since it was finished, but you've seen pix of the interior on the internet, probably without realizing what it was. They use one of the interior shots in advertising campaigns.

But no appointments there yet either. Maybe next week they'll start scheduling again.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
AAA can do vin inspections, if you are a member.

Done deal. DMV could care less. They won't process.
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

So AAA handled it? Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

No, he is still stuck

We have suspended inspections and expired stickers here in ny for anyone due after March 30.

I suspect if you are driving like an adult, the police have zero interest in enforcement.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I suspect if you are driving like an adult, the police have zero interest in enforcement.

What if you're driving like Kyle Busch? Oh, I forgot, he's a punk. Razz
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
So AAA handled it? Very Happy

Oh sorry no joy...

AAA did check the Vin number and they issued insurance to me but they were not able to submit any paperwork to the DMV.

Anyhow I have submitted everything and it’s just up to them to process it, Unless they decide that my car needs some other inspections, since it is from out of state.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

One of my favorite things about Vermont. I can walk into my local DMV location and walk out in 5 minutes, or less, with my new registration.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

I`m dealing with the DMV in Fresno/Clovis right now too. Or at least trying to. And I have a really good VIN guy in Fresno. If you need his info, message me.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

The DMV might require this if they can't do the very basics. Perhaps they can't and must rely on outside contractors.

I expect that they will announce on the DMV site when the regular appointments start again.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

They’re only honoring previous appointments right now. Will take new ones once they’re caught up. And as of two days ago, the Clovis one was not taking walk ins. But I think the Olive one is. HUGE line though. And I’m not sure what’s happening at the Blackstone one.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Thanks Bryan,
Blackstone was always jammed the few times I had to go there.
I'm 65 with sore knees. I won't be standing in those lines.

I took my DL test and my MC test at the Olive DMV in 1975, when I first moved to California.

When the new one was almost erected, they tore the old one out, and built the final corner of the new building, which overlapped. I'll bet it was a madhouse. I never had to go to the jobsite during construction. I hated the design of the exterior. It reminds me of a little poultry plant that was outside Phoenix in the 60's.

The big "silo" over the front doors and the corrugated ag-looking structure makes the building look like a barn. Also the big Loonytoons DMV logo signage is impossible to read quickly unless you are far away. It looked maybe kinda stylish on the architectural docs, but in the real world the graphics suck bad.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Don't bother processing it through AAA. Since it's a rebodied VW I will assume that there is only one VIN, and it's on the pan. I had my VW VIN inspected by AAA when I moved back to CA after being gone for a year. Although they did the inspection, and issued me plates, I soon got a letter from the DMV stating my plates have been suspended until I have the DMV do a VIN inspection. My car has been rebodied and has no VIN plate under the hood. According to CA DMV, AAA needs to verify the VIN in at least two locations for their inspection to be valid.

Kicker was when I went to the DMV and told them I only had the VIN on the pan, they just unblocked my plates in the computer without even looking at the car.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

The SS body has no number on it. I suspect DMV must confirm that physically, as a legal formality.

I submitted jpeg copies of everything in April, including my new AAA cards with the VIN.

I am hoping the recovery situation will be more virtual and less physical, but judging by world events, any crazy thing could happen. If Sacto goes CHAZ, DMV could be AWOL a long time.

If the Covid mostly dies off, DMV might respawn this Fall. Like the virus, it's all up in the air.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

You can buy blank VIN body plates on here. Just stamp your number in and rivet it to the body
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: