Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Don't bother processing it through AAA. Since it's a rebodied VW I will assume that there is only one VIN, and it's on the pan. I had my VW VIN inspected by AAA when I moved back to CA after being gone for a year. Although they did the inspection, and issued me plates, I soon got a letter from the DMV stating my plates have been suspended until I have the DMV do a VIN inspection. My car has been rebodied and has no VIN plate under the hood. According to CA DMV, AAA needs to verify the VIN in at least two locations for their inspection to be valid.

Kicker was when I went to the DMV and told them I only had the VIN on the pan, they just unblocked my plates in the computer without even looking at the car.
The op is bringing in a vehicle with S. Carolina title. California DMV requires a vin verification inspection on out of state title transfers EVERY TIME. Speak to the hand
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:
Don't bother processing it through AAA. Since it's a rebodied VW I will assume that there is only one VIN, and it's on the pan. I had my VW VIN inspected by AAA when I moved back to CA after being gone for a year. Although they did the inspection, and issued me plates, I soon got a letter from the DMV stating my plates have been suspended until I have the DMV do a VIN inspection. My car has been rebodied and has no VIN plate under the hood. According to CA DMV, AAA needs to verify the VIN in at least two locations for their inspection to be valid.

Kicker was when I went to the DMV and told them I only had the VIN on the pan, they just unblocked my plates in the computer without even looking at the car.
The op is bringing in a vehicle with S. Carolina title. California DMV requires a vin verification inspection on out of state title transfers EVERY TIME. Speak to the hand

Yes I know. I've moved in and out of CA twice in 8 years. Normally AAA can do it no problem. But my registration was blocked for the bug after the fact because AAA listed on the verification form only one VIN number was present for verification. The other cars went through no problem.
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Hi All

Every place I've lived in had it's own set of DMV stories, challenges and horrors. Currently living in Maryland, where I dread every trip to the DMV, with it's impossible lines, officious staff, and lack of rational rules. Enough said, everyone has stories, and no one feels better after a misery contest.

I'm reminded of a side story of a novel that perfectly describes any department of motor vehicles. (Read Every Demon Has His Day, by Cara Lockwood) The story about a wife getting help for her husbands murder, finds a "detective" who determines a demon did it. He teaches the lady to see demons in disguise by by taking her to the local DVM. After looking carefully at the clerical staff she suddenly sees them for what they are... Demons in plain sight torturing the common folk.

The rest of the book is not quite as clever...but it's caused endless amusement while sitting in line at the DMV

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

In the past 10 years NY DMV has reinvented itself and is really fantastic. All renewals online, and no more four station stops in person.

One ore- check where you get the right forms, a ticket number , then you sit in a waiting area and wait 15-20 max to get called.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

54bug wrote:
. . . Read Every Demon Has His Day, by Cara Lockwood . . .

I read the blurb & the plot is amazingly similar to another story I read 50 years ago, probably from Analog magazine or one of the other SF periodicals. It did not involve the DMV but was definitely Kafkaesque.

54bug wrote:
. . . no one feels better after a misery contest. . . .

Thank you for that. I would definitely wallow in that chit.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
In the past 10 years NY DMV has reinvented itself and is really fantastic. . . .

Ours has improved much in the digital age. I do nearly everything online.

Even though my house is just 1 block from the DMV, I have only been inside twice. Every 10 years (?) they check your eyesight at DL renewal. I think more frequently as you age.

AAA is only two blocks from me Wink so it's not like I must travel from Mongolia, but I do all AAA online as well.

I was really hoping that the current business would allow me to skate thru the actual physical DMV visit. I did a Skype with AAA. I showed them the car, zoomed in on the VIN, and they didn't think more would/should be required.

Meanwhile, COVID has spiked 100% here in the past 60 days. The DMV is remodeling our recently remodeled office, for health safety. It'll probably be like visiting a prison with Lexan everywhere.

So I wait for processing, or Deus ex machina, either of which seems equally likely at this juncture.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

It can also just depend on who helps you. Unfortunately you don`t have a choice. There was a guy at the Fresno Blackstone one that had a well deserved reputation for being an asshole. He`s the guy that screwed me on my current project. And then another guy there who is totally cool, and helpful.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

I am pretty certain that after living in California since 1975 I have not seen any DMV employee more than once.

I’ve never run into a DMV employee that I thought was a problem. It’s just that the whole system was a bit slow and dreary. I never had any difficulties doing business. But I don’t make my living by dealing in cars either.

Also I have not dealt with special construction or Kit cars in California under the current rules. In the old days it was a bit more like the wild west.
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

not knowing if the covid thing has made it not available or if they changed the laws, but I remember being able to go to the CHP office in Lancaster to get a vin inspection, they would sign off and off to the DMV i'd go. and as much as I hate Lancaster (Palmdale is a better city if only marginally) their DMV was always easier to get in to .

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

I checked their website yesterday and there are still no new appointments available for people who need services. There is also no estimate of when this might possibly change. I guess if they want my money they will eventually get around to it.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Further research indicates that I am pretty well screwed here, and may just sell this car off to get rid of it.

Cal CHP has put in a zillion manhours overtime because of the riots. They're not taking appointments for inspection business yet. The DMV will only allow CHP to do my verification.

Evidently this is true of any car without the stock windshield sticker, from 1970 on. Verification services say they cannot touch post '69 kit cars, and they must go thru CHP for safety checks.

I'm certainly not going to pass the bumper standards.
Not sure what else will come to light, but I'm expecting that the seatbelts won't pass. Lights won't meet 1970 standards either. Crash test? Phooo.

I see ways around this but they all skirt the law.

Anyhow I never thought a vehicle this old would be a headache. It's just not old enough...still, between the riots and the virus nobody will GAF about my situation.

I expect the social situation to deteriorate further, between now and November 3rd. My automotive future is looking more like Mad Max to me and less like the retirement I expected.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Would it be possible to license in another state? Not all are as zealous. Here I bought a junk roller no title out of state and applied for new title no inspection required with help from a retired license tag agent. She did all the leg work for me. Very Happy
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Would it be possible to license in another state? Not all are as zealous. Here I bought a junk roller no title out of state and applied for new title no inspection required with help from a retired license tag agent. She did all the leg work for me. Very Happy

It was licensed in So Carolina.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

My compliments to the mods.
Nobody enjoys being trolled.

Meanwhile it appears the DMV is no longer the real hurdle. I have to visit the CHP . . . someday. Can't get in yet.

Nobody's gonna believe me when I tell you I did the structural plans for the new CHP HQ too. The one kitty-korner from the old Orange Ave Dump south of Fresno. Anyhow I've never been inside since it was furnished and occupied.

And I mean occupied. Just the radio rooms are impressive as heck. The garages are pretty cool too, with a dedicated tire room. Computer room and remote stations.

Maybe I'll eventually get to see them. I'm trying to keep the faith here.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

California actively looks for instate residents with out of state plates to prevent people from skirting smog.

That being said, I bet the aren’t looking to actively right now.

Anyone who has worked in government service knows the pain of working with a public where everyone is a special snowflake.

“ I know my father is dead but I just signed the title for him”
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Anyone who has worked in government service knows the pain of working with a public where everyone is a special snowflake.

Hah!

When I got back from Brasil after being out of the States for about ten years, one of the first things I did was go to the DMV to renew my license. They told me I had to re-take the test since my old license had been expired for so many years (they actually passed it around for all the clerks to see because none of them had seen one that old before). That meant taking the actual driving test with an instructor in the car, but due to recent budget cuts, the DMV no longer provided a vehicle for this test.

"No problem," I said, "I have a classic '74 Beetle we can use!"

The only requirement was that the car be legally registered and insured, which it wasn't since the plates had also been expired for about ten years.

"No problem," I said. "That's the second reason I came here today, to get new plates for my car."

Unfortunately, some ass-hat (probably the same one who had signed off on the budget cuts) had passed a law prohibiting anyone without a valid driver's license from registering their vehicle in my state. So I asked the nice lady which one I was supposed to do first, register my vehicle or get a driver's license, since apparently I couldn't get the one unless I already had the other, and I didn't have either.

"I don't know," she said, "we've never had anyone in here like you before."

That's me, the snowflake!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

That's a catch-22 of the first order.

So did you have to borrow a car? I can't imagine renting a car without a license.... Confused
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
. . . Anyone who has worked in government service knows the pain of working with a public where everyone is a special snowflake. . .

I know we're waaay OT here but I gotta tell ya . . . People are always people, and private industry is not too different, except the government has even more rules.

I was in the commercial engineering & construction business 45 years and it's amazing how every client's self-inflicted problems are more important than the schedule of every other job in line.

It's not just some lone rangers. Every client will screw up their own job (usually due to insufficient planning) at some point. Then they raise a stink because their project is always the world's most critical and it needs revision NOW! Rolling Eyes

And the government clients were no better or worse in general. I did Military, state, federal, and local govt projects mostly. A number of big churches too. Corp offices & hgh-rise penthouses from San Diego to Seattle.

Everybody misses something, and when it is discovered a global crisis ensues.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
That's a catch-22 of the first order.

So did you have to borrow a car? I can't imagine renting a car without a license.... Confused

Actually, I just went across the street to the Walmart there and stole a car from the parking lot. But I returned it after the test.

Just kidding.

I ended up borrowing a car from someone in my family.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

July brings no change to the availability of appointments.

I'm running out of minor projects to work on, and I'll have to start working on this car again. I feel like it's not mine yet.

I do feel lucky though, in spite of title limbo.

Imagine some guy whose only car was this jalopy, he'd spent his last dime on it, and now he was screwed. My biggest problem is deciding which car to play with.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: