Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
I don't know yet. As long as the state thinks they can suck 14 stinking dollars out of me, I'm going to worry. Worthless bastards... Evil or Very Mad
Jon, I wouldn’t worry if all they want is $14, and it makes a problem go away. I’d take that as a gift! You can hardly buy a pastrami sandwich for $14 Boo hoo!
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Jacks wrote:
Yeah, that’s what they told him, until he put away his phone device and went down there the day before and asked someone that actually works at that DMV what to do. Then he did just what they told him, and I reported the result. But what do I care? Do whatever you want. I’m sorry that I tried to help.

Sorry, Jack, I didn't mean to be a jerk. My apologies bud.

You have not seen the line at our DMV. I'd sell the car before I'd stand there all day.

What I found out today is that we have a local third party contractor 3 miles from me that can do the whole thing in minutes. I had him smog my Tacoma today and he's licensed to do the inspection, no appointment req'd.

He got my truck in & out in a jiffy.

I'll have the VW towed there this week, and bada-bing-bada-boom! I got tags!
It’s cool man. I dig the frustration quotient. Good you found an end run. I’ve used the pros services several times over the years. Always worth every penny in those tangled knots. God bless you Very Happy
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

I wasn't considering that route, as the online ads for these 3rd party services claimed I wasn't allowed to use them in my particular case.

But it appears the rules may have changed during the "pandemic" panic.
I will know soon.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Jacks wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:
I don't know yet. As long as the state thinks they can suck 14 stinking dollars out of me, I'm going to worry. Worthless bastards... Evil or Very Mad
Jon, I wouldn’t worry if all they want is $14, and it makes a problem go away. I’d take that as a gift! You can hardly buy a pastrami sandwich for $14 Boo hoo!

I just spent over $300 to reg an 8 year old Tacoma.

It's a racket, without real oversight to contain the bureaucrats.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
Jacks wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

I just spent over $300 to reg an 8 year old Tacoma.

It's a racket, without real oversight to contain the bureaucrats.

Tell me about it. My latest tag ran $131.00-not counting the $14.00. This is for my 60 year old Porsche. I remember my dad paying $6.00 one year--must have been a lot of years ago... Wink
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

New registration are always a nightmare. AAA will do some. I just regilatered my VAn on line and besides the CC service charge it was painless.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

No progress yet. Embarassed

I did look at the SS, but barely touched it. I assembled a KD canopy kit on the patio, and spent the week cleaning up the boatyard and the workshed, working on my crippled motorcycle, and cleaning aquariums. We are keeping 2 dogs, 2 cats, and about 400 fish. It's like I never retired. I just changed jobs and I live at the zoo now.

I only have a couple days of work to get it on the road again and I am clearly putting it off. I guess too I'm reluctant to deal with this, because I bought a drivable and presentable car, which was delivered in a damaged condition and then rejected by the DMV. The experience has has been depressing in the extreme, and I respond by ignoring the problem and playing with my other toys.

Our local DMV parking lot is full every day now, and I'm amazed. A lot of people lost their cars, trucks, and homes in the Big Creek fire above Clovis. Between that and the virus, things are very busy locally. That is setting me off the trail a bit too. This was the biggest single fire recorded in modern California, and it's still only 65% contained.

It hasn't been as bad this week, but there is ash and smoke still here at random times, as the wind shifts.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Maybe instead of whining about this you could run for office and get this problem fixed. Or ? Move to a place where you don’t encounter these indignities.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Maybe instead of whining about this you could run for office and get this problem fixed. Or ? Move to a place where you don’t encounter these indignities.

Those things sound expensive while whining costs nothing.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Went to AAA yesterday morning at 9am opening to pay a trailer registration.
In and out in 10 minutes!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

I lost my ISP service and so I have not been able to post her for a while.

I have also not been to the DMV yet, so I haven’t paid taxes or fees on this car and it has not been inspected.

Anyhow it appears that you can make an appointment at the DMV if you go in person. To do what I need to do it does not appear that you can even make an appointment online, or at least I have not figured out how to do so after digging through their website several times.

It is quite clear how to make appointments for other services, but not in this case. This is at least true as of the last time I checked their website, and it does change continually from my view.

Anyhow I have not been working on this car until the past few days, and it has just been sitting in my garage torn apart for a whole year collecting dust.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

I finally decided to visit the DMV and pay up on my taxes and fees, and they are busy AF.

I came ar 7:30, & other people started lining up at 7am, but the door opens at 9am.

I hope.

It is 8:30 now and no employees have arrived.

I promised myself I wouldn’t start welding until I had a title. In about 2 hrs and $1600 I should have one.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Well I finally found out why I have been having such a problem making an appointment at the DMV. They are only making appointments for two different things and mine is not one of them.

So 3.5 hours and $1486 later, I am officially an applicant.

I still need the numbers inspected, but there were zero legal hassles so far & it doesn’t appear there will be. I just need to drag the car in and have the numbers checked.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Anybody following my SS100 thread will know I got an appointment and a permit, & towed the car to DMV.

They insisted I show them the complete and roadworthy car, to have it titled.

Which I understand, because I want it titled as a roadster. They want to see a roadster. A rolling chassis and photos won't be enough.

So I am feverishly reassembling the car, just to get a title.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Just in case anyone is still following this thread, I did take the SS back to the DMV.

So, they looked at it and recorded the numbers and told me they weren’t really sure what year it was and I had to take it to the highway patrol. Phooie!

So I made an appointment and I will take it there January 5 and we will see what they say. I spoke to the officer who will do the inspection and I think everything is going to be fairly easy.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

What the *^%@# do police know about inspecting a car for roadworthiness? Or is this to see if any part of the car is on a stolen list?
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

It now sounds to me like the police are actually just going to inspect the vehicle to determine the year of manufacture of the chassis. The DMV did the paperwork based on what South Carolina says, but they’re not really willing to trust that Without an inspection.

Meanwhile I have tossed my Chinese voltage regulator and bought what I hope is a good used Bosch electronic regulator. There is only one Volkswagen shop in this town and he has the only Volkswagen junkyard that I know of. It’s not very large either. He had one sitting on the shelf.

My car has an ammeter on the dash.

I don’t have a red gen light or the wire that goes from terminal 61 of the regulator to the dash, and I’m wondering if this circuit is necessary for the charging system to work?

Well I put some gas in the car and I’m gonna go find out now.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Ulu wrote:
I don’t have a red gen light or the wire that goes from terminal 61 of the regulator to the dash, and I’m wondering if this circuit is necessary for the charging system to work?

Not for a generator, alternator yes. But the more important function of the gen light in a VW is letting you know the fan belt has departed, no fan = no fun.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Thank you. I will install a light when I do the wood panel kit.
Ulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: CAL DMV Horrors....Are you Waiting? Reply with quote

Just an update to keep my records straight.

The DMV told me that I would have to have my vin verified by the highway patrol. They told me to call the highway patrol and make an appointment to take it in there which I did.

However when my date rolled around I could not secure a truck to tow the car down there. It’s a show car and I wasn’t willing to drive it through the shitty part of town. I called and explained this to the inspector.

As it turns out, because our DMV doesn’t offer the service, CHP will send someone to me, and he is expected to arrive Monday morning.

So this confirms my earlier experience in a sort of circular fashion. The DMV does not know what the CHP will do and the CHP does not know what the DMV will do.

So will I get a title? Will I get a registration? Will I get a license plate?
I should know in 36 hours.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: