Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coolant junction upgrade
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

hey all, im about to start my watercooled conversion, and studying the coolant diagrams:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

looks like i need to grab a coolant junction for the rear.

should i just get the std plastic one? or are there upgrades or opinions about this?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

I believe both the 1.9 and the 2.1 have choices of standard or Metal Upgrades now. I have the 1.9 and went with the Metal Hose Junctions front and back for my engine. I'm guessing you have the later 2.1 engine?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

Hello there!

Converting from which to what?

I assume you're talking about the coolant tower, or cooling junction:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(source: Van Cafe website)

Van Cafe sells a stainless steel version, which I've seen strongly recommended on the forum:
https://www.vancafe.com/KT-1982103-p/kt-1982103.htm
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

The plastic ones are fine. The SS is nice it just depends on how you are financially.
Buy the plastic one and with the money you save take your computer and have the the Caps key fixed. Caps are used in a sentence so that the reader knows when you begin a new sentence.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

I am converting from nothing to something. Im building the whole cooling system out myself.

So when it comes to this junction, looks like I will only need 1 in (head) and 3 out (thermostat, heater loop, radiator).

Im undecided, but thinking of an EA288 TDI
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
The plastic ones are fine. The SS is nice it just depends on how you are financially.
Buy the plastic one and with the money you save take your computer and have the the Caps key fixed. Caps are used in a sentence so that the reader knows when you begin a new sentence.

Stacy

h8r Wink
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

It has 2 "In" ports, not 1. That junction is only for VW waterboxer engines. The hose to it from the thermostat is really from left side cylinder head, so the junction combines the hot coolant from the 2 heads and sends it to the radiator.

Mark

charleslabri wrote:
I am converting from nothing to something. Im building the whole cooling system out myself.

So when it comes to this junction, looks like I will only need 1 in (head) and 3 out (thermostat, heater loop, radiator).

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:

The “to something” has to be defined to know what you need. For example, I have a in-line 4 (1.8T) which eliminated the plastic coolant tower in the pic above.

Also, from “nothing” should be defined, I’m assuming you are taking air cooled, so there’s no coolant system - is that correct?
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

The top diagram has a pretty big problem.
The purple hose shows an arrow going toward the thermostat housing but that is only when the engine is cold.
Once the thermostat opens the flow reverses had HOT coolant comes from the left head through the purple hose to join the hot coolant from the right head.

If you think about it you should get that both heads get hot and the small hose from the right side head isn't large enough for all of the hot engine coolant to go to the radiator.

Mark
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

ok, so to answer a couple questions:

TO: likely an EA288 TDI, boxeer probably. Greg said that the standard 2 lines running into the bay would work fine for the hookups.

Anyone have a coolant diagram from a stock WBX?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
ok, so to answer a couple questions:

TO: likely an EA288 TDI, boxeer probably. Greg said that the standard 2 lines running into the bay would work fine for the hookups.

Anyone have a coolant diagram from a stock WBX?

https://www.busdepot.com/hosekit7

Edit- better link. https://www.busdepot.com/details/water21/
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
minsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

i actually blew had a plastic junction blow on me. i had other issues..but any hows i only do stainless now...think i got mine from vc...they are prettier too Smile
2009 audi a3

www.sunroofsyncro.com
vanagonmechanic.com

http://facebook.com/pittsburghvanagonclub
https://www.youtube.com/minskmade

my super slow 1987 sunroof syncro rebuild
https://goo.gl/photos/7e9MZhHJxGvvv1Tm7

VANAGON STICKERS
https://www.etsy.com/shop/pigeonink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

anyone have any pics of:

1. where the junction is mounted on the vehicle in the rear
2. where the thermostat is mounted in the rear
3. where the pipes come out into the engine bay for the heater and the rad cooling lines?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

Inline VW engines have different needs than waterboxer engines.
What engine have you decided to use?

Mark
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

boxeer VW EA288 TDI.

Greg specifically said i should bring them back into the compartment just like the WBX, but.. i just dont know where those enter in the WBX setup
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

so.. not many folks out there run stock '87 vanagons that can take a pic of where the coolant lines hit the engine bay and where the coolant junction is mounted?

ok
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

Your proposed engine only has 1 head.
The boxer coolant junction isn't for you.
It is to allow the hot coolant from the left side head to join the hot coolant from the right side head so the joined coolant and go together to the radiator.

Search in the Samba photo gallery for photos of what you want to see.
That is what I do when I need details of things.

Mark
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
so.. not many folks out there run stock '87 vanagons that can take a pic of where the coolant lines hit the engine bay and where the coolant junction is mounted?

ok

Sorry, I'm at work now and actually don't like to be on a screen after I leave. But, I can tell you the coolant junction is mounted to the front of the firewall (on the opposite side of the where the engine is) in the passenger side rear wheel well.

I can't remember where the various hoses enter the engine bay but I'm sure you can google some photos. Maybe try some of the 2WD WBX build threads on this site.
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

Listen to the crazyvwvanman. Take that coolant diagram and ignore literally everything in the engine compartment. Since you are doing an inline conversion, all you will need is the main cooling pipes from the front to the back, and depending on what kind of heater you use, heater hoses to your heater. No coolant towers, no bleeder ring, no separate thermostat housing. No hoses, then, to any of that non existent stuff.
For hoses front to back, I used stainless pipes for my stock 1986. Then, the rest of the cooling system was modeled after the old Tiico conversion that put a 2.0 liter Inline in place of the waterboxer. There should be pictures of Tiico conversions in the gallery. Also, Foreign Auto Supply in Harpswell, Maine is the torchholder for these conversions, look at their website. And look op VanagonNuts posts, iirc, he did an inline conversion using standard hoses and custom fittings so he could find a replacement hose anywhere if he blew one. If no one else posts a picture of the routing of the hoses for a conversion, I can within a couple of weeks, as I am on the road and will not be near my van with the conversion until then. Also, the block you are using may need some different plumbing than mine, Greg at Boxeer can guide you, but either way, all you will need is the hoses going front to back. Nothing else from the waterboxer will help you.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant junction upgrade Reply with quote

cool. thanks all.

I had never thought of looking at the pics in the forum. I always hated the overclassification when uploading pics- now im thankful..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: