Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

type 4 Compression Ratio calc question
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am shooting for 7.3 CR. To get there I need 0.075" deck height. That is out of spec. My searching here tells me that too much deck height can cause engine problems, poor mileage, etc....

The heads are Camper Specials with a 55.2 total cc. The pistons have a 10 cc dish. 2.0 engine.

As the picture above says: 0.065 deck height would be at the top of optimal range and the CR would be 7.4.

Are all my numbers correct? Any ideas to get me to 7.3 and stay in deck height optimal range??

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CR calc question Reply with quote

You might want this in the Engine forum. If you do, PM me and i'll move it.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: CR calc question Reply with quote

These were an engine I built that runs fine and smogs legal as well.
Cylinder 1 Cylinder 2 Cylinder 3 Cylinder 4

Chamber 49 cc 49 cc 49 cc 49 cc
Piston Dish 11 cc 11 cc 11 cc 11 cc
Deck 0.105 0.105 0.105 0.105
Bore 94 mm 94 mm 94 mm 94 mm
Stroke 71 mm 71 mm 71.mm 71.mm
Calc comp 7.3 7.3 7.3 7.3
Spacer 0.071 0.071 0.071 0.071

who cc'd the heads and was the step part of that measurement?

Are you measuring the pistons at the wrist pin at TDC?

Are the cylinders bolted down with a plate or something like this?

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CR calc question Reply with quote

I am guessing that Hoffman CC'd the heads. Cause someone used a sharpie and wrote on a very special piece of paper in big letters..... 55.2

yes, I bolted the cylinder down. If pictures were not such a bitch to add, i would show you..... I have a magnetic mount just like you, but mine is black.

So let's assume I did it exactly like you would have..... now can you help?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CR calc question Reply with quote

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CR calc question Reply with quote

so your 0.105 deck height vs. my 0.075.... All will be well? Why are you ok going over spec and out of optimal?

I am assuming that you measured the CC's on the dish? Cause the published CC on my pistons is 10. If mine are also 11, I am creaping toward 0.06.... Very Happy
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

double post

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

If you're confident in your measurements, I would run it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
If you're confident in your measurements, I would run it.

what is your thought on deck height on the high side?

The more i putz with calculator, the better everything looks.

the accuracy of the calculator could be fine tuned a few decmial places on all cells. deck at 0.066 = 7.3 0.065 = 7.4
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CR calc question Reply with quote

.075" with a .030" step is the same as a deck of .105" on the smaller combustion chamber number of 50.2cc.

My heads have the step cut out, yours don't. The difference between 7.3CR and 7.4 CR is nothing in the world of power or efficiency. You'll want to choose based on a good steel shim set that is available. I'd run 7.4 if that is what your shims give you.

In other words - if one shim set gives you 7.1, and the next gives you 7.4, and the next gives you 7.8, run with the 7.4 on a 2L. Type one buses I would be comfortable at 8.0:1. Not on a 2L bus. 2L Porsche yes. 411/412 yes, but not on a bus because of the heat at freeway speeds. Around town and up small hills around town, sure. Sustained freeway, especially in the heat of summer - no.

Here is the reason I don't care about performance as one thinks of it in a bus engine. I care more about longevity. It is a different thinking cap. Bus engines get beat to death on long freeway drives.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:15 pm; edited 6 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

I am enjoying .065” on my Type 1 these days.

Realistically, no human being will feel a .2 difference in CR in a stock Volkswagen bus.
Robbie

PS- a bay bus has a lower drag coefficient than a bug Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
I am enjoying .065” on my Type 1 these days.

Realistically, no human being will feel a .2 difference in CR in a stock Volkswagen bus.
Robbie

good to know.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

True - but a bus has more frontal area, thus more drag. Drag coefficient is the ratio of the two. Thus, a bus needs more power to push through the air than a bug, at the same speed.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

True - but a bus has more frontal area, thus more drag. Drag coefficient is the ratio of the two. Thus, a bus needs more power to push through the air than a bug, at the same speed.

hence why my 71 1600 dp bus when it was with a totally stock engine topped out about 75 -76 mph vs my dad's 62 stock Beetle 1200 that topped out about 100 mph - flat and level. Put a bus into a headwind and see what happens to the speed... .
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

OK let's say I am gonna shoot for 0.069 deck height. That is gonna require a shim.

The gasket kit came with what I suppose are sealing rings. They are ~0.008" thick. What is best?

1. Use the sealing ring and a 0.030 barrel shim

2. Don't use the sealing ring and use a 0.040 barrel shim
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

you use 1 shim at the base. They cannot be stacked. No sealing ring at the top. Without knowing what measurement you are getting above the cylinder wrist pins now, it is impossible to know what size to put at the base. What is your measurement with no shim?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

Cylinder lightly wrench tightened, and no shim under the barrel, piston at TDC, I get 0.027”.

Just like Tom Wilson’s book, I slid feeler gauges under a ratchet extension in several places.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

if your goal is .069" then you would need a .042" shim. .027" + .042" = .069". Do the measurement above the wrist pin to prevent the piston from rocking.

But you won't find a .042" shim. Your choices will be .040" or .050". A .040" will give you 7.39:1. A .050" will give you 7.25:1 which when everything tightens will probably be 7.3:1. Either would be fine. The "compressed gasket thickness" below is the step. It is nice to see you so involved in your engine build. In general. I'd say that the average engine build standard here in the Bay forum has greatly improved with engine builds where one pays attention to small details. 10 - 15 years ago many were just buying crate motors from folks who did marginal work.

malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

So what is the deal on not stacking shims?? I have read some posts with folks putting multiple shims. Others say multiple shims can give you another place for a leak. Is that your reasoning?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: type 4 Compression Ratio calc question Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
So what is the deal on not stacking shims?? I have read some posts with folks putting multiple shims. Others say multiple shims can give you another place for a leak. Is that your reasoning?

you do not stack shims. It will compromise the seating of the cylinders. You buy the shim set that you need if you lack the proper ones.

Have you ever read this? I use a steel shim but the factory called for an aluminum shim. http://kentcomputer.com/77VW/techbull.pdf

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: