Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Good info here. I’ve struggled with those red disks too. But less so when I’m using the rotary extension.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dremel-36-in-Rotary-Tool-...n8QAvD_BwE

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Wow--Amzaing how a simple request for information from the OP brought out the Terry Kay in us.

Thanks for the info on the reinforced inexpensive discs. I have the dedicated arbor, but never use it as the discs are so expensive, so thanks for the alternative.

I use only red discs 'cause I was too dumb to know any other choice. Always double them up. Sometimes I have a spinning problem, which I've discovered is mostly due to the threaded hole in the arbor not being deep enough. When the wheels are worn down to small, I use the nub of one of the old ones as a washer and it spaces the screw out far enough so there is never a spinning issue.

Buying some reinforced ones immediately.

Love my Dremel. Been through dozens. Single speed, variable, two speed, they all work. Couldn't live without it. I say to friends, to build a boat you only need a chainsaw and a Dremel. Anything in between is a wast of time.

Duncan
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Forum; I have broken many a red disc in the Dremel also...and being extra careful not to subject the disc to lateral force, only helped by prolonging the point at which they would shatter a little...then, I heard about the "double them up" tip mentioned early in this thread...and since I didn't really need a super thin slot, I tried it...Result: a marked improvement to the point that I now wear the disc(s) out (I most often use it for a specific job, where I must cut pretty hard steel) instead of shattering them...

Abscate; We tried "seeing the sun" yesterday, but it was too freakin' cold outside to do any work (here in CT, so I expect, not much diff from you in upstate), so we adjourned back into the cottage and did some sample rivnut setting (without the tool), to work out the method at the vice, in preparation for installing the Fog Light brackets...those pop rivets seller includes are too small for the holes (as YT "Gotta Split" also found out), so we are going to install 1/4" rivnuts which should hold the brackets well...later this week,its supposed to warm up...then I expect we will get more done outside, and play less "keyboard expert"...

Cheers

Last edited by Ronzo_volvo_guy on Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Duncan;

It's a minor thing, but having the paper washer between the head of securing screw and first disc is pretty important to prevent spinning (and shattering)...mine is still the original, but pretty beat up at this point...I expect I'll replace it with a piece of cardboard along the lines of a matchbook cover (cause that's what the original sure feels like!)

...and BTW...I have just needed to make some "glass interface washers" to allow the hinge hardware on an 1800ES (the "Sport Wagon" with the big rear glass door) to be installed...a situation not unlike this where a metal hardware must secure a brittle material...I used 0.044" fiber filled resin "Fishpaper" for this...it's very solid (and I expect much more UV stable than the OEM nylon washers) so will allow securing metal hardware to glass and take up the compression with no chance of shattering the glass...maybe using a washer of this material would work well for the cut-off discs also...am I over-engineering this...?

Who is Terry Kay?

Cheers
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
Duncan;

It's a minor thing, but having the paper washer between the head of securing screw and first disc is pretty important to prevent spinning (and shattering)...mine is still the original, but pretty beat up at this point...I expect I'll replace it with a piece of cardboard along the lines of a matchbook cover (cause that's what the original sure feels like!)

...and BTW...I have just needed to make some "glass interface washers" to allow the hinge hardware on an 1800ES (the "Sport Wagon" with the big rear glass door) to be installed...a situation not unlike this where a metal hardware must secure a brittle material...I used 0.044" fiber filled resin "Fishpaper" for this...it's very solid (and I expect much more UV stable than the OEM nylon washers) so will allow securing metal hardware to glass and take up the compression with no chance of shattering the glass...maybe using a washer of this material would work well for the cut-off discs also...am I over-engineering this...?

Who is Terry Kay?

Cheers

You’ve heard of Mary Kay? He’s the men’s cosmetics equivalent.

Seriously, he was a Samba Harsh Brownie who didn’t mince words and eventually violated the TC
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

I know TK was harsh, but I always looked forward to his advice which was usually pretty good and on point. His products are good too. The problem was the "T" actually stood for tactless. I'm sorry he's gone.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

DuncanS wrote:
I know TK was harsh, but I always looked forward to his advice which was usually pretty good and on point. His products are good too. The problem was the "T" actually stood for tactless. I'm sorry he's gone.

he was almost always on point but , indeed, didnt hand out participation trophies.

I also miss him.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
DuncanS wrote:

he was almost always on point but , indeed, didnt hand out participation trophies.

I also miss him.

I do not miss him one bit. It was not just his harshness or tactlessness, although those were very bad, it was the demeaning way he treated folks and the ethnic slurs he handed out. Nothing makes me want to see that on here again.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on small dremel metal cutting wheels Reply with quote

Didn't know about the ethnic slurs--agree on you decision.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: