Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:29 am    Post subject: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

I've been tuning carbs for 35+ years and I have never had so much trouble trying to make something run right.
Previously seemed OK... but didn't go on any extended drives or long enough to get things good and hot.

Yesterday I took it for about a 30min ride and it started giving me issues again.

Plenty of heat to manifold, proper SVDA distributor, points/timing are spot-on, etc... yet I still have a stumble at tip-in and when secondary opens.

"I am done"

It should not be this much bull$hit to make a stock bug run right.

Can someone recommend a proper carb / intake kit that will run right out of the box ?

I have a bone stock, fresh 1641 dual port.

I am not too concerned about performance...(ie: dual carbs) I just want it to start, idle and run smooth through all the gears with the most simplicity. Will go duals if they can be made to run right.

I have an old original 34pict-3 carb and unknown intake... but dont trust it.

I want brand new stuff that is 100% reliable and correct.

What do I need to buy to make this car run nice ?

I am getting tired of wrenching on this thing and getting nowhere. I have an obscene amount of time and money into this car and im starting to feel like it may soon be time to pull the plug on this project.
I could have built a perfect running 67 Camaro by now... and feel maybe that would have been a smarter project. Embarassed

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

I’d put a stock, clean intake and a German 34 with nice throttle shaft bushings on it... you can trust this set up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

I'm looking at these options:

Intake kit:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D129%2D701%2DM&CartID=1

Carb:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D113%2D129%2D031%2DKC&CartID=2

Or this dual kit.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Dual-Weber-ICT-Carb-Kit-All-Engines-CB-p/cb-dual-ict.htm

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:28 am; edited 3 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Turnswrenches wrote:

Can someone recommend a proper carb / intake kit that will run right out of the box ?

I have a bone stock, fresh 1641 dual port.

Get a rebuild German Solex from Tim @ https://www.volkzbitz.com/

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Stop stop stop.
You need to learn to interpret what the engine is tellin´ya.
If it is at tip in on the second barrel its the second barrel idle which is too small. Up it 0,5 and see how it responds.
Stock engine needs stock timing right? WRONG! Just about every time you change something, being it exhaust, carbs or something else, the timing is affected.
First thing to do is increase idle timing to 10 -11degrees. Just leave it there on a stock engine, then you can adjust the total timing later. Readjust idle etc. take it for a drive and see how it responds. The stumble is likely lessened but not gone, so up the second idle jet 0,5
A Camaro or just about any medium tune 350 is easy. You just pour some fuel in and if only 7 of 8 cylinders that catches on, who cares as long as it runs well at WOT.
Youre not running an old or a cheap blue Bosch coil by any chance are ya? If so, that wohnt help you either.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Stop stop stop.
You need to learn to interpret what the engine is tellin´ya.
If it is at tip in on the second barrel its the second barrel idle which is too small. Up it 0,5 and see how it responds.
Stock engine needs stock timing right? WRONG! Just about every time you change something, being it exhaust, carbs or something else, the timing is affected.
First thing to do is increase idle timing to 10 -11degrees. Just leave it there on a stock engine, then you can adjust the total timing later. Readjust idle etc. take it for a drive and see how it responds. The stumble is likely lessened but not gone, so up the second idle jet 0,5
A Camaro or just about any medium tune 350 is easy. You just pour some fuel in and if only 7 of 8 cylinders that catches on, who cares as long as it runs well at WOT.
Youre not running an old or a cheap blue Bosch coil by any chance are ya? If so, that wohnt help you either.

Timing is 10 degrees btdc at idle and full advance is 30 degrees. (vac hose off/plugged)
I cant put any more timing in it. I already have heat issues I need to sort out. It will get to 400 degrees on #3 under a load or running down the highway.
It will settle down to 350's-380's if I roll out of the throttle... but it's still way too hot for a bone stock engine.
All the tins and gaskets are on the engine.
I'm wondering if these ebay cylinder heads are my issue. (brand new also)
I need to remove the decklid and see if that helps at all.
I will also try a Porsche 356 alt pulley to speed up the fan. (I have a welded/balanced fan)
I have a 3.88 trans... so highway driving is primary issue. Just putzing around local back roads it's not too bad until I get to a hill.

The stumble is at both ends. Initial tip-in... and again when secondary opens. I've jetted it to the point where it cant possibly need more jet. O2 sensor is telling me this.
I think I may turn the secondary idle speed screw in a tad to help get more airflow through that throat to help transition.

Coil and distributor are brand new.

Actually EVERYTHING is brand new.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

What's the AFR at tip in then? If it is where it should be, it shouldnt be stumbling. The stumble comes from either gas or spark being delivered improperly (as in bad spark timing/strength or incorrect AFR).

If a hot spark is igniting a ~13:1 ratio at the correct moment, the only possible outcome is smooth operation. Well, I suppose things like poor compression, leaky valves, or other mechanical problems could cause a stumble too. But on a healthy engine, it should be smooth if spark and fuel is correct.
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Sorry for two posts, but a couple other little things.

If you haven't verified with a vacuum gauge that you're getting the right amount of vacuum to actuate the vacuum canister, you need to do so. VW used many different carbs and many different distributors and they were designed to work together. You have a carb that VW never used and an aftermarket reproduction distributor. The odds of them working together properly are slim.

The other thing is that you can cause a stumble with too much accelerator pump squirt. If your AFR dips to 10 or 11 when you press the throttle, you probably need less squirt.

Lastly, the phrase "I want brand new stuff that is 100% reliable and correct" does not apply to this hobby. It's actually one of the things I like about it. You can't buy your way into a working car. You have to make it happen with ingenuity and an eye for details. I don't mean that to come off as rude, just encouragement! As far as I'm concerned, the VW hobby requires more attention and is more rewarding.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

i don't see anything here that indicates "bone stock".
you would benefit immensely from some heated intake air.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Quote:

buy a honda?
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:

i don't see anything here that indicates "bone stock".
you would benefit immensely from some heated intake air.

I am not going to that extent.
I've exhausted my patience trying to make this 32/36 work... and will not dump another minute of time or another dime into it.

The whole kit-n-kaboodle is coming off and being replaced with something that will work without hours of frustrating jet changes and attempted tuning.

This is not a race car. With a race car, I would expect this level of crap... and have been down that road numerous times.

I just want this car to start when I hit the key... and drive normally... without a hesitation, stumble, stall, bog, overheating, etc...

If I dont get this car dialed in very soon, it's getting sold... or set on fire.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

what is the jetting? The jetting which comes with the 32/36 is a joke out of the box.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
what is the jetting? The jetting which comes with the 32/36 is a joke out of the box.

I will check my notes John.

I bought a bunch of jets from you and have tried everything mentioned in your tech articles.
(I have the Redline kit)

I seem to recall something like:
55/65 idles
160/180 airs
135/190 mains

... but will verify when I get home from work.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
Quote:

buy a honda?

I would consider that if they were half as cool as a VW. Cool
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Ok. That sounds odd.
The cylinderhead temp thaty increases a lot under load (I assume we are not talking a 7% grade hill at 60 mph) indicates lean running, timing not retarded or heads that don´t get cooled well or an O2 sensor malfunction.
Have you tried running that hill with the vacum hose off to see if it makes a difference?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

What plugs and plug gap?

Your jetting is rich if anything.

Another thing to check is the closed throttle position of the secondary throttle plate. It's set via a set screw at carb base (you have to remove carb to access it).

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Ok. That sounds odd.
The cylinderhead temp thaty increases a lot under load (I assume we are not talking a 7% grade hill at 60 mph) indicates lean running, timing not retarded or heads that don´t get cooled well or an O2 sensor malfunction.
Have you tried running that hill with the vacum hose off to see if it makes a difference?

I did actually and it didnt improve enough for me to be convinced it was the issue. It may have dropped by 10 degrees or so... but that could have been anything.

Im thinking about pulling the distributor and locking out some timing so I can have more initial advance without having excessive total.

Last edited by Turnswrenches on Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
What plugs and plug gap?

Your jetting is rich if anything.

Another thing to check is the closed throttle position of the secondary throttle plate. It's set via a set screw at carb base (you have to remove carb to access it).

That was another thing on my radar.
Im thinking I may benefit from cracking that secondary plate open a few thousandths to add some airflow and ease/smooth the transition.

Idle O2's are 13.5-14.0-ish.
I dont recall transition numbers but at WOT the O2's will fall into the 10's if I keep the pedal down... so yeah it's plenty rich. Laughing

Maybe I will see if I can take it for a ride later and record a video of the wideband while driving.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

I did something once, almost just out of curiosity. I timed the stumble. I then put in a slightly larger accelerator pump jet, and upped the pump until the injection took as long or longer than the hesitation. It worked.

I might be completely imagining this, I think I haven't looked at one of those things in a long time, but isn't there an enrichment from a passage opening up towards the main jet, controlled by manifold vacuum? It almost feels likeI dreamed it up... Embarassed Ignore that last bit if it's completely crazy, it very well might be.
Turnswrenches
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Getting frustrated with this 32/36 Weber... need replacement Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
I did something once, almost just out of curiosity. I timed the stumble. I then put in a slightly larger accelerator pump jet, and upped the pump until the injection took as long or longer than the hesitation. It worked.

I might be completely imagining this, I think I haven't looked at one of those things in a long time, but isn't there an enrichment from a passage opening up towards the main jet, controlled by manifold vacuum? It almost feels likeI dreamed it up... Embarassed Ignore that last bit if it's completely crazy, it very well might be.

To this "old-school" guy... it "feels" like not enough fuel and not enough timing.

I have put about all the jet into it that I feel is prudent. I think I may tinker with timing a bit more.

My thoughts:
If there is too much advance curve in the distributor, the timing will fall back too far at idle when total is limited to 30 degrees @ 3000.
In my case, it's falling to 10 degrees btdc. It also over-advances into the 40's at light, no-load throttle.

If I lock out all the mechanical advance and disconnect the vacuum advance... I can set it to approx 25 degrees btdc and it "should" be more responsive with the add'l initial advance and run cooler with less total advance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: