Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 flywheel touch up
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel touch up Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

If you dont have confidence in your shop, go somewhere else.

If I had a shop, I would not be counting on a group of knowledgeable VW guys to throw out some wisdom. But "just drop it off and pick it up and pay" may be trust, but it is not wisdom.
Nightshift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel touch up Reply with quote

LOL, customers bring me the work as they trust me, 40 + years of machining. They trust me why, because I perform quality work. Always have and always will. I don't take shortcuts and have quality relationships with my customers. I don't take every job that comes in my door, I don't have to. Find a quality shop near you and take it there. Lets not have 5 pages of more bull over an $80 dollar job. Its not rocket science.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel touch up Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
There was a day in the distant past that you could drop off parts for work and pick them up with confidence. Those days are long past! Those guys are dead.

Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel touch up Reply with quote

If a guy comes to me and says to me exactly how to machine his part, I just charge an extra $300 - Laughing

I find this amusing that a guy will come by and tell me how to port his heads. I ask him - if he has ported heads before. NO. Have you ever machined a head before? NO. Have you built a VW engine before? NO. Great - it is $300 extra on top of the usual charge. And double that if you watch. Laughing

There is some allowance on maximum depth of the grind on the clutch surface. YOu only need to restore the register dimension if way out of specs. Might just need a tickle on the stone.

[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel touch up Reply with quote

It all turned out OK. Pun intended. New step measurement is 22.71mm. In it’s former state the step was 22.65mm. Both measured by me. $30 cash at Tennessee Clutch by the fairgrounds race track. We had a good conversation about the step and he did not have an issue shooting for 22.73mm.

They did my 914 clutch and PP ~ 8years ago. So I guess I do have a shop. Next to a beer store and they will have a beer with ya at quitting time. Applause

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 flywheel touch up Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LMAO! Laughing
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: