Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed a small decrease in posts/replies to the site in general since March, or so, or is it just me? I know a lot of non-forum friends have blown up my FB page during all this stay at home crap. I realize it’s the Summer, and people usually post less, but really hope this isn’t a trend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

Seems a little slow... I know the current happenings have changed things up a little for me at home. I spend more time cleaning and doing most of the shopping, just to make sure my family has a clean and safe home to stay in.... I’m the only one working outside the home.

Summer time always keeps me busy with outdoor work as well... I have a lot of yard work and home projects too.

Lastly, so many of the things being posted have all been answered, to many people just don’t wanna search... would rather start a new thread and have someone link them the answers.

Also, I feel many of the topics being posted are so basic that the OP should have just spent the time they took to post and just dealt with the problem...ie “How do I get this broken bolt out?” Or “ Is this crusty case I found in the ocean ok to use?”

There’s many that I won’t chime in on because of those reasons alone.

Many topics I just leave for the Samba experts to jump in cause I don’t feel like arguing opinions. Also, I don’t know how many times I’ve typed a big reply and just deleted it because I don’t feel like getting into a pissing match or holding someone’s hand through troubleshooting why their horn doesnt work.... guess I’m getting old, tired and wise(ass) in my age😁
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

It's because half of the members are on Facebook or Twitter expounding on their medical, constitutional law and race expertise that is on par with their VW knowledge.... Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

^ That’s probably taking a lot of people’s time as well.... so many experts and warriors in the comment sections.😊
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

Hmm... I was thinking I was going to get more rona related comments.

You guys must have that ESPN...

Just when I get amazed about the first response posting the EXACT same reply about the situation I’ve often thought about, someone else adds another EXACT same thought...!

Shocked
WOW....!
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Just when I get amazed about the first response posting the EXACT same reply about the situation I’ve often thought about, someone else adds another EXACT same thought...!

Shocked
WOW....!

I'm confused. d'oh!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

It's been quiet since we banned some of the trolls.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

Maybe a lot of people that have been laid off don't have enough money to build or fix their VW so they are just sitting.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Shocked
WOW....!

I'm confused. d'oh!

It’s just been recently that I’ve noticed less posting, so I was thinking it was more due to the fact that people have been busy doing other things with all of their free time from not working, or having every single extra curricular activity canceled. I guess andk5591 has noticed it as well, and his thought was almost word for word how I would have described it. That was more of what I was wondering if anyone else has noticed.

Anthracitedub said the exact reason to a T that the site has had less participation for years imo. I just wasn’t expecting that type of response. I guess due to Glenn and the moderators cleaning house, less participation from the idiots is a good thing.
clarkare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

I enjoy browsing Samba and very occasionally I make a small contribution. On the whole I find Samba to be a much more positive place with people ready to help as opposed to Facebook. I subscribe to a number of Ghia forums on FB but I can get quite disheartened by the negativity that is almost common currency

I suspect that the Covid 19 pandemic has distracted many regular contributors as they will have many more challenges to face but in spite of that the contributions remain informative, interesting and importantly upbeat
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Maybe a lot of people that have been laid off don't have enough money to build or fix their VW so they are just sitting.

Possible... In addition to that, maybe they couldn't order parts at all to do stuff
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
It's been quiet since we banned some of the trolls.

Having the trolls outta here has been a blessing... I can totally deal with smart ass answers and occasional poking that we see from time to time... but those couple of guys that would shit on every thread and just make it suck, that nonsense got old quick.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

I think it always slows down in the summer...kind of becomes a ghost town of sorts. before the Covid-19 people were getting ready for shows, doing some travel etc and it seemed that participation here got a little slower after kids got out of school as well.

it would pick up some as shows were posted about, camping trips got talked about, and what broke on the way to the shows and camping Laughing i think many just got sick of being cooped up and are doing other things... i mean so many work from home, teach from home, are stuck at home they just don't want to be in front of a computer unless they have to.

i don't think there are as many builds (or at least new builds) going on either. no doubt they are happening but i think many want the instant "like" or "followers" on other platforms which in my opinion suck to follow...i would much rather a forum layout than 100 random b/s posts.

i bet Everett could look back on site traffic and see how this month/year compare to past months/years.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

The last few years I thought it slowed down. Everybody is on Facebook.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

jason wrote:
The last few years I thought it slowed down. Everybody is on Facebook.

What's Facebook?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

I deleted my FB about 5 years ago.... best thing I ever did.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

I have noticed a decline, as well. I figured it was that everyone in the house is home and demanding attention, from each other. That has been what is happening in my home. Each and everyone of us needs that person to person interaction we got when we were out in the world. We tried playing Mario cart. Heck I even tried posting to the Samba while driving the Wario car through the desert! I would venture that everyone has a new focus, that being family! They will return.

I have made it a point to keep checking in. Helping where possible and updated the builds as they move forward.

The other thing going on is vacation time. A number of families around here have taken off to places elsewhere. Many are going tent camping and keeping to them selves. We are heading up to the house in Havasu to go play in the water in a week. Meeting up with some close family. Going to go have fun and stay to ourselves! Maybe we will get some Quail hunting in as well!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

I think there is something to all these posts. It’s just not a singular thing. First thing that popped in my head is, not a lot of places to drive to with any kind of distance that might reveal an issue with their cars or things to do. Whether it be camp outs, shows, long road trips, and etc. A lot of stuff got canceled. This was the year Xatie was to get her bug back to our home she lives in 120 miles away after a two year engine rebuild and refurbish. She doesn’t even care to have it there now, because she is currently working from home and only needs to drive it 4 blocks to the grocery store every now and again. Full disclosure, I’ve been driving the hell out of it, having a great time in my work commute and participating in VW challenges Wink and I’m bored. So I still post up useless stuff and not don’t do social media, except a couple VW forums.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

Thanks for the troll reduction....I had noticed that. And the facebook groups are fine, but just like on here I say "do a search on thesamba.com, there are MANY posts with the solution."

And how many VW Facebook groups do you need....I am on about 5 and its 3 too many IMHO. Oh well.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is The Samba participation on the decline since the “pandemic”? Reply with quote

We have a 2002 Eurovan Camper. The EV section on The Samba is not heavily used. There are at least 3 Eurovan FB groups that are very active and informative. Problem is that there is about a 60% overlap, so the same question gets posted in multiple groups. Clutters up the FaceBook feed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: