Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MitchS046
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

I've started to purchase parts for an 1915 street engine, but came across connecting rods with different sizes. some people advised me to go with stock length (5,4'') but no one could tell me why tho.....
is it so you can have more stroke with a sertain crank?
sizes I saw range from 5,5'' to 5,7''. in my eyes it isn''t worth starting playing with those sizes because of clearance issues.

~ mark divine
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

Beyond 82 stroke, the pistons are pulled SO far into the engine that they may run into something. Good reason to use a longer rod, I'd say.

In the very OLD days, porsche(135.5- 136mm) and small journal chevy (5.7) rods were often used IN vw engines, so, those lengths are due to tradition.

5.5 is a handy size also. As you will find out IF you do not have the correct amount of material machined off the case for your cylinders.

Last edited by modok on Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

There is a thing called rod crank ratio . standard type 1 1600's have a relatively high ratio compared to some engines . divide the rod length by the crank stroke . different ratio's can cause different engine characteristics but not so much to make it obvious to the average driver . lower ratios can cause more cylinder wear .

When you change to a stroker crank people use longer rods to maintain a higher ratio for wear and also to give clearance for the piston and the crank when the crank is at bottom dead centre .

In your engine the stock length rods are the ones to use . Unless you are trying to build a narrower engine for some special reason .
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

these days its' eaze of assembly...the old dayz it was what the wercker said. some people dont mind a engine thats not happy the way it's built by a slap togeather the eazyest way. some do.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

She says the longer rod is more fun. The shorter rod is prone to 'pre-ignition.' Laughing

The above may not apply to engines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

Laughing
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

MitchS046 wrote:
I've started to purchase parts for an 1915 street engine, but came across connecting rods with different sizes. some people advised me to go with stock length (5,4'') but no one could tell me why tho.....
is it so you can have more stroke with a sertain crank?
sizes I saw range from 5,5'' to 5,7''. in my eyes it isn''t worth starting playing with those sizes because of clearance issues.

With some 94mm jugs being a bit longer than stock, the 5.4 rods, which are actually longer than stock, are a most perfect combination to avoid complicated deck height and compression ratio machinations.

That being said you could probably drop a 74mm stroke crank in it with the 5.7 rods and do the same thing.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

have yall really noticed much difference in performance with different rod ratios? i know the theory but asking about true seat of the pants feel
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

For a real street driver rod ratio is grossly over rated. Use the rod length that makes it easiest to build. On a full race engine that turns 8000 RPM then rod ratio does make a difference.
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

Ease of assembly, indeed is the number one prevalent reason.

that said, long rods will reduce your max piston acceleration/deceleration, and in principle, longer rods let you stretch more rpm out of a given head.

I've always wondered in terms of "lugging" an engine, and how some engines are more prone than others to buck at low rpm...ho much of that is rod length, I'm thinking shorter rod=less lugging?

It's interesting to point out that the stock ratio on the type 1 is particularly high, at 2, and the type 4 went pretty much the same way. And yet, wear at the top of the cylinder is pretty bad with the vw, it seems to me. And that is with very long, well-fitted skirts.

What is the rod length on the 2.0 type 4?

But who cares, none of us are calculating peak piston speed or Gs anyways. Go with what fits best.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: wat is the point to have longer/shorter connecting rods? Reply with quote

Piston Slap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: