Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

residual valve for rear?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

Running EMPI m/c 98-6022-B catalog says its the one to run with rear discs only in trikes. I'm putting it in the stock bug location. (different m/c for the front brakes; mustang II front end) will I need to run a 2lb residual valve? Thanks!
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

JiI wrote:
Running EMPI m/c 98-6022-B catalog says its the one to run with rear discs only in trikes. I'm putting it in the stock bug location. (different m/c for the front brakes; mustang II front end) will I need to run a 2lb residual valve? Thanks!
Jeff

Just a thought . . . the location of the brake fluid reservoir can make a difference . . . if the reservoir is lower than the calipers, the fluid will want to drain out of the calipers, so place the reservoir as high as possible. Wink
JiI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

That shouldn't be a problem. Will do. Thanks!!
Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

That could only happen if there is an air leak in the system. The fluid cannot drain back if it's tight with no leaks no matter what height the reservoir is.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
That could only happen if.......

You sound pretty sharp, so . . . Just a thought . . . https://techtalk.mpbrakes.com/how-to-series/brake-valve-overview
keep in mind while reading the info in the link that an "under-the-floor master cylinder brake system" typically utilizes a master-cylinder with a built-in reservoir . . . a reservoir that is lower than the calipers. Wink
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

Not convinced yet. Drum brakes flow back because of the return springs on the shoes but if the shoes are adjusted properly then the flow back is very minimal. Disc brakes to my knowledge do not have return springs on the caliper pistons so should not flow back. Are these valves used in any stock system from the factory?

What these residual valves will do is cause brake drag. Perhaps small but it will be there.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

Calipers in my race car are higher than my master with built in resevoir. Changed calipers this year, the old ones were pretty much empty. as were the hoses going up to them. All the brakes needed bleeding in my old race car after it sat for 2 years. All 4 calipers had air in them....no leaks in either car.

brad
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Are these valves used in any stock system from the factory?

Yes . . . residual pressure valves . . . used on a stock system from the factory.

oprn wrote:
Not convinced yet.

As Gene Winfield said, "Everyday is School Day!"
Today's lesson . . . do your homework BEFORE speaking out in class . . .

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: residual valve for rear? Reply with quote

So it's built into the master cylinder then. Not all of them though I take it.

Slalombuggy, if there was air in your brake system the yes you do have a leak. The air has to get in there somehow.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: