Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I run these injectors? (FJ6)
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

I have a bad habit of buying new parts when I don’t need to and I decided to replace all four of my injectors with these standard motor FJ6 injectors. Amazon says they are compatible with my vehicle but that doesn’t mean they really are.

The main reason for buying new was because two of my existing injectors were either a different brand or something compatible and I wanted all matching injectors (despite the fact that all injectors came back from cleaning with similar specs).

Visibly they are shorter and don’t have a cap?

Sorry for the bad pictures, I didn’t want to take it out of the bag.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by ivwshane on Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Here is a thread discussing them in depth: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8438230

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Thanks for the offer. I actually found that thread a while ago and tried to get an update on it but no one replied. Since my knowledge of this stuff isn’t that great, I really didn’t take much away from the thread as to whether or not the FJ6 injector are good or not.

I’ll give them a try but if they work I’m not sure what experience I’ll gain from running them so I probably won’t be able to help out anyone looking to get these in the future who want to know if they should run them.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

I’d take Steve upon his offer, just a thought.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Thanks for the offer. I actually found that thread a while ago and tried to get an update on it but no one replied. Since my knowledge of this stuff isn’t that great, I really didn’t take much away from the thread as to whether or not the FJ6 injector are good or not.

I’ll give them a try but if they work I’m not sure what experience I’ll gain from running them so I probably won’t be able to help out anyone looking to get these in the future who want to know if they should run them.

Ok with me. Stock parts are best 99% of the time. Maybe those SMP injectors are the 1@. SMP makes good things. I've got several people who have pm'd me for the stock injectors so if you aren't interested someone else is pleading their case - which I understand. Good stock parts get harder and harder to come by. Off to bed, I'll get back to others in the morning once I dig them out of their box.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

So I took one of the injectors out of the bag and removed the hose to get a better look and see if anyone more knowledgeable than me sees anything interesting.

For one, there is no pintle on the standard motor one. The Bosch clone has a needle type tip whereas the new one is just a hole. The hose barb on the clone is 7.93/8.89mm (skinniest/fattest) and the new one is 7.79/9.76mm (skinniest/fattest). The collar to the tip of the new one is 6.82mm, I don’t know what it is one the old one because of the pintle cap. On the old one the length of the tip (end of pintle) to the tip is 31.84mm vs 21.77mm. The reason I bring up the length is because when seated the original will sit about 6mm further into the intake flange va the new one.

The other major difference is that the new has a different style plastic top and makes it so that you cannot slide the injector bracket over the top like you can the originals which makes removing them a pita because you have to take off the rubber bushing first which is now being covered by the injector hold down bracket.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

I’m going to return these. Amazon listed them as compatible but smp’s website says they aren’t and lists the correct part as fj634.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Does anyone have experience with these injectors from Bus Depot?

https://www.busdepot.com/022906031d
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:

Those look exactly like the ones I purchased except for the hose.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
I’m going to return these. Amazon listed them as compatible but smp’s website says they aren’t and lists the correct part as fj634.

At $96 each on Amazon. Wow. That is like $400 a set. Outrageous. BusDepot ones at $220 a set would be less.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

At $96 each on Amazon. Wow. That is like $400 a set. Outrageous. BusDepot ones at $220 a set would be less.

The ones on busdepot are the same ones I already purchased and I got them for $170.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

why don't you use them? They should work. They are $55 each now. 4 x $55 = $220 plus shipping. I am sure we will see inflation due to the stimulus spending, and the moving of manufacturing back to the USA, Mexico, Canada , and Europe from China. Back in the late 1970's & 1980, there were a couple years where prices on everything went up 10% to 14% a year. That is on core items, and often items like parts for cars might have gone up 20% a year.

Last edited by SGKent on Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:

Yes, they are excellent. Except for packaging, they're the same as what NAPA is selling brand new, for about the same price. I'm not sure I buy the diatribe of ad copy though…

Here is a smog report on the last bus I used them on:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Quote:

little lean Robbie. O2 is left. Anytime there is O2 left, fuel can be added to it to use it up. I try to leave a fraction of a %. If all of it is used up then CO will rise. Also your NOX will come down because the burn will cool down a little. That said, heater temps will cool a little because the EGT will be lower. Your valves will like it more too.

The issue for injectors is that each model has a slightly different volume even though it may be close. For peak performance while still passing smog, the AFM has to be tuned to the injector (and cam).

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
why don't you use them? They should work. They are $55 each now. 4 x $55 = $220 plus shipping. I am sure we will see inflation due to the stimulus spending, and the moving of manufacturing back to the USA, Mexico, Canada , and Europe from China. Back in the late 1970's & 1980, there were a couple years where prices on everything went up 10% to 14% a year. That is on core items, and often items like parts for cars might have gone up 20% a year.

My main concern was their length as compared to OEM and the fact that smp’s own website says they aren’t the right injector for my bus.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

My main concern was their length as compared to OEM and the fact that smp’s own website says they aren’t the right injector for my bus.

Meaning why not use the Bus Depot injectors you already own?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

I've added a note on the original thread with the part numbers:
furgo wrote:
As this has been revived from another thread, here's some more info about part numbers:

FJ634 - same form factor (and presumably) specs as OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Jaguar XJS (91-84), Nissan 300ZX (86-84), Nissan Maxima (86-85), Volkswagen Campmobile (74), Volkswagen Transporter (79-74), Volkswagen Vanagon (83-80)
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=FJ634&type=p&search=s

FJ697 - different pintle style and hose barb than OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Fiat 124 (83-80), Fiat Brava (81-80), Fiat Strada (82-80), Fiat X-1/9 (83-80), Lancia Beta (81)
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=FJ697&type=p&search=s

Presumably the FJ697 injectors are the ones you got and also the ones available from busdepot.

The OEM-like FJ634 injectors seem to be available here under the Echlin brand https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRB218532 , possibly the same SMP product with a different package and branding (and same blue connectors as OEM). The price is not listed, so it's not really possible to compare with the Amazon price until you call or e-mail them.

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

The SMP injector quality is excellent.

I have installed about 3 sets in varioua cars with no changes required for perfect running. Looking at the parts and tips the quality is pretty much equal to Bosch. Ray
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
furgo wrote:
As this has been revived from another thread, here's some more info about part numbers:

FJ634 - same form factor (and presumably) specs as OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Jaguar XJS (91-84), Nissan 300ZX (86-84), Nissan Maxima (86-85), Volkswagen Campmobile (74), Volkswagen Transporter (79-74), Volkswagen Vanagon (83-80)

FJ697 - different pintle style and hose barb than OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Fiat 124 (83-80), Fiat Brava (81-80), Fiat Strada (82-80), Fiat X-1/9 (83-80), Lancia Beta (81)

Presumably the FJ697 injectors are the ones you got and also the ones available from busdepot.

The OEM-like FJ634 injectors seem to be available here under the Echlin brand https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRB218532 , possibly the same SMP product with a different package and branding (and same blue connectors as OEM). The price is not listed, so it's not really possible to compare with the Amazon price until you call or e-mail them.

The Napa ones show up as $51.49 for me. Those look like my OEM ones. How is that particular brand.

If it matters the ones I got from amazon are FJ6 not any of these other ones.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
furgo wrote:
furgo wrote:

The Napa ones show up as $51.49 for me. Those look like my OEM ones. How is that particular brand.

If it matters the ones I got from amazon are FJ6 not any of these other ones.

The main Napa brand you find is Echlin. They are MADE by SMP.

Same for ignition points. Napa has three levels (actually four but two are in the lower tier). Their top 3 are all made by SMP and are various versions of the Standard Motor Products "Blue Streak" points.

SMP has actually been making injectors for decades. The key as usual is getting the rigjt part #. Five years ago I was skeptical until I spoke to numerous 914 and type 3 guys that used SMP injectors.....and I installed a few sets on my own that have worked superbly.

Those two iniectors pictured....may be the same internally and spec wise. Check the catalog. The plug differences....is just a plug housing difference. Same internal terminal and spacing and they fit the same boots. If need be you can buy the plug housing you need. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: