Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Should I run these injectors? (FJ6)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
The Napa ones show up as $51.49 for me. [...]

Indeed, you're right. The price didn't show up for me initially, as a store needs to be selected on the page first. It's unfortunate that NAPA don't do international shipping, otherwise I'd consider buying a set.

On the other hand, the SMP-branded ones seem to be available at https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1002517, but ca. $30 more expensive than the Echlin rebranded injectors.

ivwshane wrote:
If it matters the ones I got from amazon are FJ6 not any of these other ones.

I can only guess, but I think the Amazon description does not list the complete part number, which for these injectors seems to be FJ6 followed by the 2- or 3-digit model code (e.g. FJ697).

Decode your M-Plate
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

FJ6 is the part number as that’s what is printed on the box. Standard motors own website also makes a distinction between FJ6 and FJ634 and it only shows the FJ634 as being compatible.

furgo wrote:
ivwshane wrote:
The Napa ones show up as $51.49 for me. [...]

Indeed, you're right. The price didn't show up for me initially, as a store needs to be selected on the page first. It's unfortunate that NAPA don't do international shipping, otherwise I'd consider buying a set.

On the other hand, the SMP-branded ones seem to be available at https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1002517, but ca. $30 more expensive than the Echlin rebranded injectors.

ivwshane wrote:
If it matters the ones I got from amazon are FJ6 not any of these other ones.

I can only guess, but I think the Amazon description does not list the complete part number, which for these injectors seems to be FJ6 followed by the 2- or 3-digit model code (e.g. FJ697).

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
FJ6 is the part number as that’s what is printed on the box. Standard motors own website also makes a distinction between FJ6 and FJ634 and it only shows the FJ634 as being compatible.

You're right, I had first not found the FJ6 on the catalog, sorry for the confusion. Specs are not listed, but it would seem that the difference between the two is the curved fuel hose. FJ6 seem to be for the fuel-injected Beetle.

I've updated the parts list:

furgo wrote:
As this has been revived from another thread, here's some more info about part numbers:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Standard FJ634 - same form factor (and presumably) specs as OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Jaguar XJS (91-84), Nissan 300ZX (86-84), Nissan Maxima (86-85), Volkswagen Campmobile (74), Volkswagen Transporter (79-74), Volkswagen Vanagon (83-80)
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=FJ634&type=p&search=s

Echlin CRB218532 - same form factor (and presumably) specs as OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Same OEM molded plastic color (teal), same OEM pintle cap style. Listed applications: none explicitly listed, but the NAPA website says: "Fits your 1979 Volkswagen Type 2"
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CRB218532

Standard FJ697 - different pintle style and hose barb than OEM, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Fiat 124 (83-80), Fiat Brava (81-80), Fiat Strada (82-80), Fiat X-1/9 (83-80), Lancia Beta (81)
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=FJ697&type=p&search=s

Standard FJ6 - different pintle style and hose barb than OEM, curved hose, L-Jetronic connector. Listed applications: Porsche 914 (75-74), Volkswagen 412 (74), Volkswagen Super Beetle (76-75)
https://www.standardbrand.com/en/ecatalog?part=FJ6&type=p&search=s

Decode your M-Plate
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Bosch made many injectors that had the same physical appearance. The major difference was the volume. One has to compare the physical mount and the amount of fuel delivered. Just because one physically fits and will work, doesn't mean it has the optimal fuel flow characteristics the engine was designed to work with.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Bosch made many injectors that had the same physical appearance. The major difference was the volume. One has to compare the physical mount and the amount of fuel delivered. Just because one physically fits and will work, doesn't mean it has the optimal fuel flow characteristics the engine was designed to work with.

Yes....thats why you buy them by correct part #...and not just how it looks. There have been a few reviews here and there on the "accuracy" of the SMP products.

Considering the "range" I have measured on virtually every brand of fuel injectors over the years....virtually nothing hits the rated number dead on. Not even Bosch. They should be close....but usually they are a +/- of about 1 pound per hour...even with Bosch.

Here is one review for SMP injectors:
https://sgsfab.com/2019/04/04/smp-fuel-injector-re...0cc%2Fmin.

About 3 years ago I saw a flow rate list. I should have saved it. I can't find one now. It used to be here....
http://www.smpbuyersguide.com/standard/gui...uide-2017/6.php

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Sgkent, that’s my concern as well. These other injectors all may fit but will they be allowing the engine to work as efficiently as possible?

I went to Napa today to pick up the other injectors that were posted and these injectors are also the same exact ones amazon was selling and that I already received, the FJ6. They do not match the picture at all on the Napa website either.

I’ll try rockauto next who lists the correct part number for my bus, FJ634. For $80 a pop it better be right!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
Sgkent, that’s my concern as well. These other injectors all may fit but will they be allowing the engine to work as efficiently as possible?

I went to Napa today to pick up the other injectors that were posted and these injectors are also the same exact ones amazon was selling and that I already received, the FJ6. They do not match the picture at all on the Napa website either.

I’ll try rockauto next who lists the correct part number for my bus, FJ634. For $80 a pop it better be right!

Mine shipped to someone else today who had a need.

You can look up the Bosch part number online and it will give the flow if you find the right webpage.
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Flow rates and impedance specs for the OEM injectors (Bosch 0 280 150 114) and the SMP FJ6 injectors: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8438392#8438392

At the time, I had contacted SMP for the specs, which are not listed in their catalog. I'd suggest doing the same for the FJ634.

ivshane wrote:
I went to Napa today to pick up the other injectors that were posted and these injectors are also the same exact ones amazon was selling and that I already received, the FJ6

Bummer. The pictures on the NAPA catalog seem to be a bit misleading, then.

Decode your M-Plate
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

So are the FJ634 injectors the ones that Bus Depot are selling?
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

pittwagen wrote:
So are the FJ634 injectors the ones that Bus Depot are selling?

Not according to the picture on their website. I’ve got some actual FJ634’s coming and I’ll post pics when they get here.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

SMP shows the FJ634 as a direct replacement the same as 0 280 150 164 which is 200 cc/min. Their photo catalog does not list the VW bus for that injector but their written catalog does.

The 0 280 150 114 on late bus motors is listed at 190 cc/min. The pressure they are tested at will make a subtle difference. I know that almost all of mine in both sets tested around 189 cc/min at Witch Hunter as I recall. So one might have to adjust the AFM a little to lean the mixture out compared to a stock injector.

https://motorwestperformance.com/fuel-injector-flow-rates-and-specs/
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

I got the fj634 injectors in. I’m going to re-verify the Napa injectors are indeed wrong.

So the FJ634 matches the body size of the original but they still lack the pintle and have a hole as opposed to a pin nozzle. The base/top of the plastic electrical connection is slightly different than the original which means you have to install the larger injector body seal after installing the injector in the hold down bracket. The included hose is straight and not curved like the FJ6 injector. The FJ634 injector also includes the hose clamp (they all included it) as well as the tip and body seal. Unless I was mistaken and the Napa injector is the same as the FJ634 I’ll be rocking these.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

***update

Now I have to clean up the mess I’ve created:

So I went back to NAPA to double check my original findings. The good news is that the injector I got from rockauto, the FJ634, is similar to the Napa Echlin injector CRB 218532.

The only difference I see is that for an extra $30 per injector you get a straight fuel hose and both body and tip seals.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully this helps.

On a side note; the brass ferrules are simply to help keep the hose from expanding or fraying, right? I can use either type, the brass or silver one.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

without flow rates fit means nothing. Bosch made maybe 20 different injectors that looked identical but they had different flow rates. It is just like the fact that all injectors since 1991 or thereabouts fit into the rails the same, or spark plugs can have the same thread but be totally different as to heat ranges etc..
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
without flow rates fit means nothing. Bosch made maybe 20 different injectors that looked identical but they had different flow rates. It is just like the fact that all injectors since 1991 or thereabouts fit into the rails the same, or spark plugs can have the same thread but be totally different as to heat ranges etc..

If standard motor is the only one making new injectors for the bus then wouldn’t the injector specs all be the same for the models that are physically the same? Wasn’t it already determined that the flow rate was 200ccm?

The reason for posting all this information was because amazon incorrectly lists a part as compatible and rockauto is charging a $30 premium for a part that includes seals and hose vs Napa’s part that does not.

Threads like these are useful for people like me who may not be aware of differences in similar parts being sold by different sellers. A good example of this is the fuel tank I bought from wolfsburgwest, had I known the differences between the stock one and the aftermarket ones I could have saved myself the $100 it will cost me to send it back and paying a restocking fee.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Holy f!! Just shoot me now!

So I am finishing up re-hosing the new injectors and adding crimps on them when I get to the forth and final box...and wouldn’t you know it, it’s a freaken different injector than all the rest!!! Wtf?!

So...what did I get in the forth box with the exact same label as the others?

As you can see this has a green electrical connector (although it’s more pastel than the original) and it has a pintle cap along the pin nozzle as opposed to the nozzle with a hole like the other ones.

Can anyone who has purchased the Napa injectors before confirm what theirs looks like (green top and pintle)?
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for following up with the pictures and updates. These will be extremely helpful to others in the same situation.

At the time I did this job, I looked at aftermarket injectors but decided to refurbish the original ones instead. I'm still considering getting new injectors at some point. Given that these are only available in the US, knowing what you get from different vendors will at least help me avoid nasty surprises when ordering from oversea.

A few notes:

Assuming that the pictures in the Standard catalog are correct, on this post it would seem they sold you FJ697 injectors instead of the FJ634 ones you ordered.

I'm really confused as to which vendors you ordered from and which injectors you actually got from each. I might not be the only one, so perhaps a summary would help. The last bit I got from this post is that at NAPA you ordered 4x CRB218532 injectors and you actually got 3x FJ6 injectors and 1x CRB218532 injector?

ivwshane wrote:
So the FJ634 matches the body size of the original but they still lack the pintle and have a hole as opposed to a pin nozzle. The base/top of the plastic electrical connection is slightly different than the original which means you have to install the larger injector body seal after installing the injector in the hold down bracket.

That's actually how I did it with the OEM injectors as well. Insert injector in bracket, fit rubber ring in injector body, fit small rubber seal through pintle cap, then install the whole injector + bracket assembly.

ivwshane wrote:
On a side note; the brass ferrules are simply to help keep the hose from expanding or fraying, right?

My understanding and experience is that the OEM (not brass) ferrules keep the hose in place by constraining its end and holding it against the base of the first barb. You won't be able to pull it once it's in place with the ferrule, you'll have to cut the hose. Keeping the end from fraying is probably a side effect as well.

Decode your M-Plate
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Ok here is a summary post of where I got the injector and what injector I got:

First shot was from amazon, the FJ6 for $43. It does not match the body size of the original injectors. No pintle cap, curved hose, clamp, no seals, hole in fuel nozzle.

Next up was the FJ634 from rockauto for around $83 each. The body matched the original injectors. No pintle cap, came with straight hose and clamp as well as both body and nozzle seal. The nozzle had a hole for the fuel.

I then purchased the Echlin brand injector from Napa for about $53. It’s similar to the rockauto FJ634 injector except that it came with a curved hose and no seals.
The Napa one is on the right, unknown older replacement injector is in the middle and the FJ634 is on the left.

Lastly, in one of the boxes I got from Napa was this unknown injector that actually most closely resembles the original Bosch injectors. There were no part numbers on it and it was opened already. It matches the OEM injectors body, pintle cap, pin needle nozzle, and has a close to OEM color green cap. The box it came in looked exactly like the other injectors from Napa.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

I almost forgot about this; I went to a different Napa store to get some moly paste and they only had one compatible injector in stock. It was a Bosch injector! Green top just like the original and with a pintle cap. The only thing is that it had a curved braided hose.
GermanLookT2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Should I run these injectors? (FJ6) Reply with quote

Ordered 4 CRB218532. All came In Napa Echlin boxes with curves hoses (no text on the box note FJ6) So recommendations to buy the Napa injectors are not advisable.
Has anyone run these? Should I return them? I don’t think the effort to rehose them Is worth it unless I am missing something in this thread. Any feedback?

What isn’t clear is that there are lots of positive comments on their build but no evidence they perform equally without the pintel caps as the OEM Bosch
Ones do. I’ve had my originals rebuilt three times now but still
Have strange running issues pop up Intermittently feeling like a fuel performance associated with sticky injectors or poor spray and felt it might be worth a second set to keep on distant road trips (like the one I’m on now)😂
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: