Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More Craigslist masochism
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

Why do I keep doing this?

I replied to another CL post in the hopes of getting a chest freezer for MIL. Despite the many, many, many frustratingly failed forays into the world of anonymous online sales, I jumped in again expecting a different result.

Seller: come over any time.
(no street address in the ad and nothing in the text, just a city)

Me: Great, I'm heading to the bank now, then straight over. What is your address?
(I leave the house, sit in traffic, get cash from the bank, drive to sellers city, sit in McDonalds parking lot,.... waiting for a text reply. 10 minutes later I turn around)

Seller, 5 minutes after I turn around and head home: I live close to the Trader Joes, 98133. Street address will be provided later.

Me: you don't know your own address?

Seller: I want to make sure you're on your way before disclosing my address.

Me (to myself): Think

I had tried calling the seller several times while sitting in my van. No ringing, just dropped calls. He finally called me well after I had given up and was a few blocks from my house. Somehow making me wait in the Trader Joe's parking lot would prove to him that I was legit and not a CL flake, at which point he would give me a home address. This didn't make sense to me, and made me think I was being fucked with, which is why I turned around and went home.

Does this make sense to anyone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

Sounds like a scam.
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Sounds like a scam.

I think he was legit, which sucks because I really wanted that freezer. I think he was just overthinking his safety protocols. If we were going to meet at his house anyway then one way or another I was going to get his street address.

The only way that making me wait in a parking lot NEAR his house could have provided any measure of caution would be if he were to meet me there in person so he could size me up, and then decide if I was unthreatening enough to visit his fortress of solitude. Still, this sounds bizarre. If you're that worried about weirdos on CL, then don't buy or sell through that kind of portal. Or better yet, don't have them meet you at your house.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

Lately I have found that Facebook marketplace is carrying more and more listings. Seems to be especially popular amongst Hispanics.I still look at both if I am shopping and list in both if I am selling. So far I have not noted a big difference in the ratio of flakes between marketplace and craigslist.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
Why do I keep doing this?

I've done stuff like that. like "call me when you get to xxxxx" but usually I meet people and transfer the stuff from my truck to theirs. my meeting spot is like 5 mins away, so they don't have to wait long.

i'm just done with people that won't function, and waste my time....so I figure if they are willing to meet we can waste time equally.

I am in contact the whole time however. I just don't like random people showing up for shit i'm selling.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I remember reading this a while back, too bad this couple didn't bring their friends, Smith and Wesson with them. I do like the parking lot transaction idea which I've done many times.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/01/27/us/craigslist-georgia-slain-couple-charges/index.html
www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I’ve made big transactions at the police station. The timbre changes when every cop going by says “ hello Abscate”
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I’ve made big transactions at the police station. The timbre changes when every cop going by says “ hello Abscate”

Brilliant!
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

Never had any issues giving my address out.
Guess Im not cautious as others.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I’ve not had trouble buying things this way. It probably becomes more difficult as you get into major metro areas. I met one seller at a busy Mc Donald’s parking lot, met another at their home but I prefer the idea of neutral place. Biggest hassle is no shows. Give them about 2 chances and then block that number. Very Happy
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I refuse to meet anyone anywhere if they are buying something from me. I've been a sucker too many times, left sitting in a parking lot and they never show up.
Last summer, I had an iPhone case listed for FREE just because it would have been a shame to throw it out. Someone actually asked if I could meet them 20 mins away from my house because they didn't drive. On a Saturday afternoon. In August. Was he high? I told him I would give him $2.25 for bus fare along with the free case, just because his balls were so big for asking. Of course, he was pissed off and I never heard back from him.

In fact, most of the time now, if whatever I'm selling is ~$50 or less, I tell the buyer the item will be in the cabinet outside my front door. Don't even knock. I may or may not be home. Just take the item and leave the cash. I've yet to be burned that way, and even if I did, those small transactions don't waste any of my time. Besides, usually selling stuff like that is more a matter of clearing out junk, rather than making money.

Sometimes I will get people to send an e-transfer as well. That way, I get paid instantly, they don't have to stop at the bank on the way over, and there's no more haggling on the price. If they don't like the item for some reason, they can leave it behind and I'll return the transfer. Easy for everyone.

If I'm trying to buy something and I get the "I'll send the address when you are close" type thing, I'll pull the pin on that deal instantly. I know exactly how it's going to turn out, and I've never needed to buy something bad enough to deal with that run-around.

I get some people feel scared to give out their address or info. They cover license plates with rags (or my favourite- the thumb sticking up between the camera and plate. But that was a whole different thread on The Samba). But those same people will take pictures of their car for sale where you can see the street sign or house number in the background. Or they put the postal / zip code (or sometimes even the full address!!!) in the ad listing. I'm not sure about zip codes, but with a postal code, you can usually narrow it down to a 1 or 2 block radius at most. So if I really plan to steal your precious toaster / lawn chair / floor mat, watch out. I'm taking it anyway.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
I refuse to meet anyone anywhere if they are buying something from me.

Now that's some funny stuff Laughing
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

FB marketplace has replaced CL almost completely here. If I can't quickly determine you are legit- it's done. Two days ago I bought a lantern on FB and drove to the guy's home to pick it up. He had covid protocols which I respected (his home, his 242b, etc.) He put the lantern in a basket out front waited through the glass door. I inspected the lantern, happily fanned out my money, placed it in the basket and had a great smile and thank you wave exchange with the seller.

The address is key to me. I've met folks in gas station parking lots- and I encourage that. Obviously men sell a lot of stuff using their wife's name on FB- not entirely sure why- but I've learned to keep my inquiries rather neutral.

With CL I'll drop out the second they hem n haw. I'm never the first caller- so you know they're perfecting their horseshit story long before I've got my wallet out.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I often give stuff away just to get it out of my way. It's unreal how many people message me to say they'll take it, and include their address as though I'm going to deliver it as well. Laughable.
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I would say 80% of the inquiries I get from CL are scams.

Just sold a minibike to a nice guy. His first email to me wanted me to text him or email him at a hotmail email. Nope...I just responded through CL. After several emails I decided he was legit and I gave him my address.

I told him I was sorry for making him jump through hoops but he said no problem and went on to tell me about the scams he had to deal with on CL.

Sometimes it takes several emails before I am even remotely comfortable giving out my address, email, or phone number
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
I had tried calling the seller several times while sitting in my van. No ringing, just dropped calls. He finally called me well after I had given up and was a few blocks from my house. Somehow making me wait in the Trader Joe's parking lot would prove to him that I was legit and not a CL flake, at which point he would give me a home address. This didn't make sense to me, and made me think I was being fucked with, which is why I turned around and went home.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Hell no. Everything you said would have pissed me off.

Guy is either paranoid or more likely sick of people who get his address and then never show up. I sort of understand that, I think a lot of people start thinking stuff is going to get stolen after a bunch of people ask for the address and never show.

CanStan wrote:
I refuse to meet anyone anywhere if they are buying something from me. I've been a sucker too many times, left sitting in a parking lot and they never show up

I've met in the local Target parking lot to sell stuff a bunch of times.
I've never had a no show.
Usually this is because I don't want people coming to my house but it also saves them an extra 10+ minutes to drive to my house from the main road and I usually need something from Target anyway

hitest wrote:
Obviously men sell a lot of stuff using their wife's name on FB- not entirely sure why- but I've learned to keep my inquiries rather neutral.

More women active on Facebook or guy doesn't have an account?
If it's household stuff I think there's more women buying and selling.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

I’ve had some good success with CL lately. Had a whole pile of stuff for the first flea market in April, well plans had to change this year, so I’ve spent time during the lockdown listing all my items on CL. I’ve told the wife I’m having a virtual tag sale. I’ll also post my samba ads on CL for maximum coverage. Got a few leads on free parts that way. Folks will be like, I got a bumper, you want it?

I meet folks at the library/rec center down the street. Make them come to me. You want it, you come and get it. At the library, I put the item on the bench. They hand me cash. I walk home, put the cash in The cool down zone and wash my hands. Easy.

I’ve sold so far during the pandemic, Rain Barrel down spout diverter, roller skates, Nash skate board, Coleman stove, and vintage Coleman thermos. Active ads include: five ribs trans, thing distributor, new dryer vent, 70s nat geo maps, Pink Floyd the wall action figure set, Stetson size 7 cowboy hat, to include a few. I’ve line my pockets pretty well during this time.

For the folks who ask questions and say they want to buy. Shit or get off the pot. There’s 2 people behind you also looking at the Stetson cowboy hat bud. So come and get it, or it going to the next guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
I often give stuff away just to get it out of my way. It's unreal how many people message me to say they'll take it, and include their address as though I'm going to deliver it as well. Laughable.

I try to give stuff away on offerup and CL, but my track record is spotty. One guy texted me that he had arrived and was waiting in my driveway. I went outside- no one there. I texted him back that he was mistaken and apparently at someone else's house. He texted back that he was throwing in the towel and going home. I still have that pair of brand new seat covers.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

About a decade ago, had listed our 220K 1994 Suburban on Craigslist for $1994 (so $1 per year).

Saturday morning I was rushin' to remove the Sony CD player and install an AM-FM stereo with bad cassette unit so I could install the Sony into a different truck. A woman from 30 miles away called, then called later saying she was on the way as I was finishing up, and never showed, never heard from her.

That afternoon, a guy called saying he was really $#%&$#@%&*&$#^&$ pi$$ed as he was looking at a Suburban 40 miles away because the owner had told him the interior was great, and he found that a dog had chewed it all up. So he and his son drove crosstown, he offered $1800 cash, said that's what he had. I told him there's an ATM, and he should get an additional $100 and I'd bring out the notarized title, and that happened, $1900.

I've never sold anything on Marketplace (did buy a used crossbed tool box there though), but agree that at best 50% of the responders on CL will actually show, and best to meet at a parking lot.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: More Craigslist masochism Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
FB marketplace has replaced CL almost completely here.

same, I fucking hate it. you can search for a 1965 Impala and get all kinds of 66's and 64's. Search for a 1966 Impala and the 1965 Impala shows up. It's maddening
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: