Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi 34p3 carb.
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samk47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Empi 34p3 carb. Reply with quote

I recently finished my trike, it`s a 61 transaxle, recently rebuilt standard 1600, Empi 34p3 carb. with manual choke, (carb. is new), points distributor. Nothing has been hot-rodded. It goes down the road nice and runs fine, but every time I start it I have to hold the throttle wide open til it starts. I replaced the needle & seat, with 2 washers on it, no difference. I added about 2/3 of a can of carb. cleaner to the gas tank, witch had about 5 gal. in it, no difference. I contacted the man who did the motor, ( he races sand rail vws) and he hadn`t ever heard of such trouble. So that`s why I am here, I am hoping some of you guys have some ideas for me. I can`t afford to have a mechanic fix it cause social sec. doesn`t go very far. I would sure appreciate any input you guys have, Thank you very much. samk47
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 34p3 carb. Reply with quote

samk47 wrote:
I recently finished my trike, it`s a 61 transaxle, recently rebuilt standard 1600, Empi 34p3 carb. with manual choke, (carb. is new), points distributor. Nothing has been hot-rodded. It goes down the road nice and runs fine, but every time I start it I have to hold the throttle wide open til it starts. I replaced the needle & seat, with 2 washers on it, no difference. I added about 2/3 of a can of carb. cleaner to the gas tank, witch had about 5 gal. in it, no difference. I contacted the man who did the motor, ( he races sand rail vws) and he hadn`t ever heard of such trouble. So that`s why I am here, I am hoping some of you guys have some ideas for me. I can`t afford to have a mechanic fix it cause social sec. doesn`t go very far. I would sure appreciate any input you guys have, Thank you very much. samk47

What kind of fuel pump are you running on the engine? Is it an electric fuel pump or the original style? Have you checked what kind of fuel pressure you're getting from it? 34-3 carbs like 3 psi plus or minus .5 psi. Many aftermarket fuel pumps can put out 5 psi and above. That high fuel pressure can overwhelm the valve under the float.

EMPI Chinese 34-3 carbs can be hit or miss in quality. Some say they work ok while most avoid them. I had a new one on a VW I purchased. I couldn't get it to work correctly at all. The tolerances in it where terrible. I installed a rebuilt/restored original German Solex 34-3 carb and my problems were resolved.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Empi 34p3 carb. Reply with quote

did you follow the set up procedure that comes with the carbs? VERY important. Very possible your choke is set wrong. You can go to vw-resource.com on how to set that. Also you should ALWAYS clean a new carb before installing it.

I have not had issues with the newer Empi carbs, but have had to set up more than one at the shop that an owner installed and didnt adjust first.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi 34p3 carb. Reply with quote

It seems like your carb is flooding...high fuel pressure would do that or a leaking float seal...Bill
Check both...good luck Bill. (VT)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: