Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

how about some combustion chamber pics
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

I had a look at a hayabusa cylinder head 2.6 HP / CUI . Or 197 hp out of 1340cc , no rough texture in the combustion chamber . I was always under the impression the dimpling on a golf ball was to cut down drag by getting the air to pull further around the ball and create a smaller slipstream . Maybe dimpling on the short side of a port only to get the air to follow the port shape and not breakaway and leave a dead zone in the port ..
I can’t see the benefit of a rough area in the squish part of a chamber . Maybe down stream of the valves to again get the air to follow the path you want it to go .
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
I had a look at a hayabusa cylinder head 2.6 HP / CUI .

the pistons are textured, as-cast

Try again?
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Wreck wrote:
I had a look at a hayabusa cylinder head 2.6 HP / CUI .

the pistons are textured, as-cast

Try again?

Interesting 🤔 but a textured surface is a long way from a dimpled surface or beat up . I like the idea of Jeff doing back to back tests on Brian’s heads , one beat up ,one textured and one beat up . With CHT tests as that is as important as all out power for most of us .

Type 4 115mm register , 47/40 valves .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ac509
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:

Too bad they didnt post their iron heads graph in that article. I was hoping to see at least a graph or comparison. They said "the numbers are identical, plus or minus a number here and there". They posted the charts for the Aluminum heads, but they withheld the exact numbers for the iron heads. It sounds more to me that they come from a biased point a view more then they do from a neutral one.

If they really are unbiased, they should have posted the full report and some dyno readouts. I will stick to my "old theory" that heat makes horsepower, and on how to make more heat in the chamber. I'm not forcing anyone to do it my way or believe me lol. Do it how you want. But siting a magazine article that shows the graph for only the aluminum side doesn't mean shit lol.

i agree with you 100% about the one-sided graph. i watched the enginemasters video and they showed both graphs. i didn't realize the article didn't show the same video.

point is - iron or aluminum, they make the same power at the same compression level.

No one questions a 73' Volkswagen?
I have a '73 Volkswagen and it is nowhere near 73' long!
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

I have to say, this is pretty interesting. When you look at the "stock" chamber, you see how much the designs have evolved. Those new chambers look good on paper, but I don't really have much experience with them, certainly didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, performance-wise.

I guess the "best" chambers show here are the JPM ones, and I think we can all pretty much surmise what needs to be done in (to) the chambers. I think there's some debate as to whether to park the gasses around the exhaust port for detonation reduction, or taking material mostly from around the intake to improve flow...I dunno. But the general idea is visible.

But there is a definate trend in the recent chamber shapes, and I don't think you can carve them out of a stock head without welding. By the looks, the new chambers should give some advantage, I'm just not sure if it's easy to isolate. Most of it is breathing, but some helps combustion quality and speed, too, I would think.

In my own stuff, I have found it interesting to set up a compass from the spark plug, and see what kind of areas are equi-distant from the electrode, and see where the farthest stock point is in the chamber.
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

With so many configurations to choose from are different shapes best for the size and use of the motor?

How would these work for a 1776?
Still need to open them up

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on finishes. I bought into the polished piston top and chamber theories years ago thinking that, as has been said, you want to retain the heat in the chamber for conversion to power. After taking the engines apart later and seeing all my hard work covered in carbon my feeling is that it is only beneficial for a few hours at best then the advantage is lost. No matter what finish you put on initially, in the end the finish is the same.

This all again likely stems from racing where engines are torn down regularly and not from real life long term engines.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

yup , 20,000km later . at least the carbon and oil (guides a little worn) was easy to clean off the smoothish surfaces
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

the better the quench/squish the less carbon buildup.and a leaner mixture can be safely run as more of it is automized better and more burns effectivly. higher CR can also be acheved and run with little to no detonation when done right with more squish.
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

I'm sure many of you have seen these already, but in case you haven't (and since I like to show them off anyway), here are my AA 043 heads that went on my 76mm x 83mm mini-stroker. I had them flycut down to 45cc before putting the mirror finish on the chambers. The rest of the chamber volume is made up in the dished (7cc) and polished piston crowns:

The golfball dimples went here:

X3 on the squish!
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Interesting discussion on finishes. I bought into the polished piston top and chamber theories years ago thinking that, as has been said, you want to retain the heat in the chamber for conversion to power. After taking the engines apart later and seeing all my hard work covered in carbon my feeling is that it is only beneficial for a few hours at best then the advantage is lost. No matter what finish you put on initially, in the end the finish is the same.

This all again likely stems from racing where engines are torn down regularly and not from real life long term engines.

Did you get a real mirror finish on your chamber and piston tops? I have seen some people saying they polished their chambers and yet they are not really polished. It needs to be a true mirror in order to be effective.

See above floatingvw for example.

Better that everyone ignores this stuff, its a waste of time. It does nothing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

http://rexresearch.com/singh/singh.htm

This always starts a flame war.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

What does everyone think is the most common, hotrodded, and the most horsepower building combustion chamber in the world now?

The LS Chevy. Now, what is the most advanced version of that cylinder head and that chamber?
The LS9/LSA. Came stock with boost, extra webbing, titanium intakes from the factory, can be adapted to any LS engine and its not expensive.

This is how some of the best head companies like Lingenfelter/Westcoast Racing do their Hot Rod port upgrades to extract every last horsepower available:

Yes, this is 2020, Wait, Polished chambers? I thought that was debunked back from the olden days and it doesnt matter cause it just gets covered in carbon?

Do not do what the LS guys are doing, you dont want to listen to these guys that are putting these on 2500hp cars, they know nothing.

Please dont do what the lingenfelter people do, those people are fools:

Dont do what this vw idiot does, he is the blind chasing the blind...

By all means, do not do these weird things that dont make sense. Nobody is trying to convince the ones that dont want to, or dont agree. Keep on the way you are going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Just goes to show people are more likely to buy shiny things I guess. Laughing Wink

I also think it is a somewhat unfair comparison since the V8 guys have water cooled heads and head temps are of little concern to them, unlike head temps being near the top of concerns for aircooled guys.

I really have no idea which surface finish will work/cool better in an AIRCOOLED head. I don't think anyone really knows, or has done extensive testing to figure it out. I am really not too worried about it, but I do know I hate smoothing ports with just a cartridge roll. I can't imagine having to do a mirror finish. Sad

I will just keep my fast super rough ports and my carbon covered chambers, and continue to drive lots of cool running miles on them with a smile and not a worry in the world about them. Wink

So, just for discussion...thermal barrier coatings have been well received, and used in most every form of racing for over 30 years. The theory is to keep the heat in the chamber where the heat can be used to make more power rather than absorbed into the head as wasted energy. So would a thermal barrier coating be similar to a polished chamber, or a rough and carbon coated chamber? One might reflect the heat back into the chamber, and the other one might insulate the head from the heat....

PS...I do like LS engines. Built lots of buggies with them in a previous life. Pretty sure none of ours had polished chambers, and if I were to do it nowadays, I would probably rough them up really good..... Laughing Dancing

Brian
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

Yep, the 4 year old kid will always take three shinny pennies over a corroded quarter.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

just let it go jpaull.

its like you can't stand to have people with differing opinions than you and keep beating it into us until we say, "you're right! theres lots of shiny chambers on google images so they must be better!"

I personally would like to try coated chambers/exhaust ports and piston tops on my turbo 2234 build Twisted Evil
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

I don't see why the chamber texture ended up being the topic. It makes very little difference to how the engine runs.

If you have a hammer everything looks like a nail.
If you have a buffer...

Larry Widmer said "the chamber does NOT like looking at itself in a mirror"
Which, is true.
The piston on the other hand, I think it does not mind.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

sled wrote:
just let it go jpaull.

its like you can't stand to have people with differing opinions than you and keep beating it into us until we say, "you're right! theres lots of shiny chambers on google images so they must be better!"

I personally would like to try coated chambers/exhaust ports and piston tops on my turbo 2234 build Twisted Evil

Not sure where your getting that from, I clearly said im not trying change the minds of folks that believe otherwise. To each their own. Maybe you need to let it go, not everyone is gonna jump on the 80% samba bandwagon that you usually ride either.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
sled wrote:
just let it go jpaull.

Not sure where your getting that from, I clearly said im not trying change the minds of folks that believe otherwise. To each their own. Maybe you need to let it go, not everyone is gonna jump on the 80% samba bandwagon that you usually ride either.

discalimer- i dont claim to be an expert at most of what you guys are talking about, but i do have some experiance on the polishing topic. also, please dont think im telling anyone what to do. last time i added in my experiances i had some grumpy ass man telling me that i was wrong for suggesting a standard retractable three point seat belt lol. paull mentioned polishing the combustioned chambers idea to me a year or two ago. i wanted to believe him and i sort of did. anyways, a month or so later it was time for me to rebuild my win 100 clone(honda bike engine, in which is aircooled very much like our engines with high compression. the chamber is a different shape however.), and i wanted to see if he was correct in the fact that polishing the chamber reduces the rate of carbon build up. around 50 hours of hard riding and the chamber looks almost the same as when it was polished. yet, the spark plug is much darker. same as for the exhaust port in which was not polished. now i just gotta trace mt third oil leak. Evil or Very Mad now, is this the super high teck testingyou all were hoping for? no. but it is something. i dont see why it would hurt to try it out yourselfs. and like brian said, maintaining good cylinder head temps is a big deal for us. why wouldnt you want your engine to run even two degrees cooler? its not like your dumping money into your build just to achieve shiny chambers.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"

Last edited by Chickensoup on Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: how about some combustion chamber pics Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
sled wrote:
just let it go jpaull.

what bandwagon is that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: