Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What song reminds you of a car you have or had?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

I have owned many cars (not all have been VWs.) But for most of them, there's a song that when I hear sends a lightning bolt flashback to my time with a particular car. No matter the car (make, model, year) what song elicits a feeling about a car you once had - good, bad or indifferent? Even obtuse songs that nobody else could relate to or may even have heard of (I have several!)

Example: My 1973 300SEL 4.5 when I was in high school - Miami Sound Machine: Conga. My 1978 Lincoln Mark V Diamond Jubilee - Willie Nelson: Georgia on my Mind (from the 8-track playing in the car.) As an example of a song nobody's heard of but it will forever remind me of my current car, despite this being several years ago: Hardwell - Birds Fly. What songs are powerful reminders of your times with a car? (and what car was it Smile )

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jennepher Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

David Gray's 'Babylon' for my old '96 Mazda because I listened to that song on repeat for about two solid hours of a road trip.

Any song off the INXS Kick cassette for my high school car, a 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I wore out 2 copies of that tape.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
If your post begins "I know this is against the rules but..." just stop typing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Jennepher wrote:
Any song off the INXS Kick cassette for my high school car, a 1975 Oldsmobile Delta 88. I wore out 2 copies of that tape.

Holy crap, I forgot about INXS! Yes, awesome songs from my high school days. "Need You Tonight" brings back lots of good memories Cool.

Don't know why this reminded me of Simply Red - Holding Back the Years circa 1989 in my 1983 Caprice Classic driving from Tampa to Georgia to visit my mother. But that's another strong memory of a song tied to a car.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Ah yes. Would be the mix tape my girlfriend made for me. Complete garbage but a total panty dropper for her. I wasn’t complaining Wink

1987 Red Nissan Sentra. I was a senior in high school Cool

Link

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
olspeed
Samba Member

Location: In the shadow of Denali, I still don't give a damn how they do it outside

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Wow, everything from rolling stones to INXS reminds me of some driving experience but my favorite for cruzing in my VW's is Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 and the tune "end of the line" boy does that bring back memories 1988, top down and the doors off on my Thing (when I wasn't out in the bush working)Good Times!
I still have the tape and play it when I take out my Ghia.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

The entire Peter Gabriel “So” album, ‘72 highroof & a certain redhead.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

The New Riders of the Purple Sage - Fifteen Days Under The Hood
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

This is an awesome thread Cool

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Radar Love by Golden Earring. Fits many scenarios from my lifetime. The other two are related to by bus driving type 2 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckM51xoTC2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03wAbKyDKqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGOUuWBFca8

It’s hard to pick just one. J Giels because in 1972 I thought the bloodshot album on red vinyl was unique. So was this song almost always guaranteed female attention if you played it for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDU3evB5_K8&list=RDUDU3evB5_K8&index=1

This one just because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGorIWYz-A&list=RDUDU3evB5_K8&index=6
mercmad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Hit the road jack.... every dead car i ever go rid and some real lemons,a Triumph Stag,bought new and put up with it for 30,000 miles ,then a pair of mercedes ML's. Mercedes really hit rock bottom with those dogs.

Heres a different version hit zer road jack ..

Link
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

First one of the guys with a drivers license. Hauling the fellas to party’s in mom 78 Toyota Corolla circa 1985.

This one! Out of a boom box because mom didn’t have a tape deck Laughing

Link

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Erasure's STOP and All of the Pet Shop Boys song of the times, "85-'86 1964 Notch.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

I think Neil Young said Long May You Run was either about his first car or his first girlfriend.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Ray Charles gave a free concert at Fort Leonard Wood when I was in basic. if you didn't go you cut weeds with a scythe. there were fools who didn't go.

Hit the Road Jack minus Aretha was included. out of barracks time, no DIs, what more can you ask for in basic?

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

X2 on Radar Love by Golden Earring !
My 1st long solo drive from Ct. up to see my girlfriend (future wife) in 1978, driving my '74 Pontiac Lemans GT (350 4bbrl. Hurst 4 speed) up to Northern Vermont, I get to the 1st rest area in southern Vt., look at the map board, I have 3 more hours to go to get to Johnson Vt., book it out of the rest area as Radar love comes on, me w/ my Whistler radar detector (the size of a softball) on the dash, fearlessly cranking North, to get laid.... Embarassed Laughing Wink

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
X2 on Radar Love by Golden Earring !
My 1st long solo drive from Ct. up to see my girlfriend (future wife) in 1978, driving my '74 Pontiac Lemans GT (350 4bbrl. Hurst 4 speed) up to Northern Vermont, I get to the 1st rest area in southern Vt., look at the map board, I have 3 more hours to go to get to Johnson Vt., book it out of the rest area as Radar love comes on, me w/ my Whistler radar detector (the size of a softball) on the dash, fearlessly cranking North, to get laid.... Embarassed Laughing Wink

Rad

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Highway Star- Deep Purple in my ratty, worn out 69 Lemans with a 455 , 2 speed automatic screaming through Eastern Colorado on a 90 degree summer night

Silver Machine-Hawkwind going over Monarch pass during a blizzard at night in my 61 Rambler, in a t-shirt with the heater on high

I had a very good time when I was young
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Radar Love by Golden Earring. Fits many scenarios from my lifetime. The other two are related to by bus driving type 2 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckM51xoTC2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03wAbKyDKqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGOUuWBFca8

It’s hard to pick just one. J Giels because in 1972 I thought the bloodshot album on red vinyl was unique. So was this song almost always guaranteed female attention if you played it for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDU3evB5_K8&list=RDUDU3evB5_K8&index=1

This one just because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDGorIWYz-A&list=RDUDU3evB5_K8&index=6

radar love was one of my moms favirote songs. she use to lsten to it in her metalic light blue 66 mustang gt conv.

whenever i hear 90s grunge(mainly nirvana, stp, and pearl jam) it reminds me of my dads 03 patriot blue ram 2500 4x4 crew cab. he would take on trips to tree house nursery in cetral FL and on the way, we would stop at chickfila most saturdays. cars with no a/c also remind me of those times
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

Whenever "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith plays it makes me think of ~1977 going out clubbing Friday nights in the 61SNRF Very Happy

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: What song reminds you of a car you have or had? Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
Whenever "Sweet Emotion" by Aerosmith plays it makes me think of ~1977 going out clubbing Friday nights in the 61SNRF Very Happy

Taken a step further I like that whole album “Toys in the Attic”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: