Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Adventures in hitchhiking
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:
I picked up a girl in distress. Her brother left her at this bar after argueing about him being to drunk to drive. I drove her about a half hour out of my way to her house. Helped her break into her house at 2am because the brother had the keys. Her brother had been picked up for his 3rd DUI offence and was taken straight to jail for 3 months. I was rewarded that night for my chivalry and we dated for about 3 months. The relationship abruptly ended when the brother turned out to be her husband and he was released from jail!

Sounds like an episode of "Cheaters" Laughing

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Ever seen the movie Sideways which Thomas Haden Church ? Don’t be that guy. Very Happy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I never pulled that trigger.

Naw man girlfriend told me she screwed a hitchhiker. This was early 80s aids days. I left Very Happy cue up hank Williams your cheatin heart
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Naw man girlfriend told me she screwed a hitchhiker. This was early 80s aids days. I left Very Happy cue up hank Williams your cheatin heart

Yikes! Shocked
At least she was honest Smile

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Ever seen the movie Sideways which Thomas Haden Church ? Don’t be that guy. Very Happy

Classic, his character was such a ***** in that movie.

Don’t drink the merlot, either
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Best story so far.

typ914 wrote:
I picked up a girl in distress. Her brother left her at this bar after argueing about him being to drunk to drive. I drove her about a half hour out of my way to her house. Helped her break into her house at 2am because the brother had the keys. Her brother had been picked up for his 3rd DUI offence and was taken straight to jail for 3 months. I was rewarded that night for my chivalry and we dated for about 3 months. The relationship abruptly ended when the brother turned out to be her husband and he was released from jail!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

We used to do this for fun as a family. Looking back now it’s pretty crazy.

For example: One holiday around 1990, we drove our perfectly running vehicle to the on-ramp and parked it. We then hitchhiked 600 miles to my aunts for Thanksgiving. We stayed for several days and then hitchhiked back. One of the better rides we got was a semi because he had a Nintendo in the sleeper that I got to play for several hours.

I’ve done it as recently as 2010 with minimal problems here in Washington. And I always pick up people if the family isn’t in the car. I feel like it’s a regional thing
Wheelie Pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

typ914 wrote:

2nd. I picked up a girl in distress. Her brother left her at this bar after argueing about him being to drunk to drive. I drove her about a half hour out of my way to her house. Helped her break into her house at 2am because the brother had the keys. Her brother had been picked up for his 3rd DUI offence and was taken straight to jail for 3 months. I was rewarded that night for my chivalry and we dated for about 3 months. The relationship abruptly ended when the brother turned out to be her husband and he was released from jail!

Fun times

That's funny as hell!
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Early 70's and hitching out to Colorado. It was illegal to hitch on the interstate, but out in the middle of Nebraska the on ramps got used about once a year. So down to the traffic with the thumb out. On the opposite side of the four lanes a highway patrol car goes by and is motioning to stay put. He is already past the exit and has to find the next exit or a turn around to come back for me, so I run across the concrete and the median and end up heading the other way. A few minutes and he sees me and looks pissed! Back across the median and someone stops and picks me up. The guy is telling me all about Jesus and I see the patrolman heading back in the other lane with his lights on. That bible thumper was a very nice guy. Even offered to buy me a hair cut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Back in '97 hitching from Anchorage airport to Denali NP(220 mi?,), I got five rides, four of whom were young mothers travelling alone with babies in carseats, and one very elderly man in a Cadillac who drove me to the door!
In mid 70's hitching back from Worcester,MA to NJ, got picked up just as entering NY state by a guy who said he was from Montvale. I said I know one guy from there, who is currently dating my sister,.. Turns out this guy was his best friend, so another ride to my front door. More than one way to get lucky when hichhiking.I miss the GoodOlDays.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Late 70's holidaying with a buddy and driving my Super Beetle, picked up a pretty young lady who turned out to be so drunk that she completely missed the action when a semi tried to squeeze us down to motorcycle width against a guard rail up and over an overpass at 70 mph. Let her out pronto and went home to change our badly soiled underwear! Shocked
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Leaving Ft Collins at 2 am after missing our ride ( don't ask), my buddy Joe and I headed to I-25 on ramp to make it home to Colorado Springs by morning for work. Sure enough an older Polish man driving a moving truck obliges us. After about 5 miles he offers us a "pull" off a vodka bottle ( already 1/3 gone), well ..ok... soon after he nods off behind the wheel and Joe grabs the tiller to keep us from running off the road. Driver says "thanks" and offers another round. We decline, but he hits the bottle again. Soon after another nod off, another save and Joe informs him " hey, we are here already!!" directing him to the offramp ( not even close to where we needed to go). He lets us out with well wishes and goes down the road.

We were saved by a van load of Mexican construction workers that got us home and to work on time ( barely).

Much less traffic in the 80's!
Raymond73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

My parents picked up a hitch hiker in the early 80's. I was somewhere between the ages of 10 and 12. He lived with us for a short time while my parents helped him get back on his feet. Nice guy. I recall that he bought me a yellow, plastic truck for a birthday present and traveled eighteen miles, round trip on his motorcycle to bring me a pizza from my favorite place at the time (Big Cheese). Everything had slid to one side as one would expect in a saddlebag-style compartment, but the effort wasn't lost on me. It was delicious by the way.

He eventually married and they moved on to better opportunities in another state. Sadly, trouble found him after he left us. If my parents' always vague explanations are to be believed, he had a run-in with a drug dealer that did not end well.

R.I.P.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Sort of.
When I was about 9 or 10 my dad was driving me and my 2 sisters across town in the bug, sure enough it broke down on the freeway as these cars are prone to do. We were about 3 miles from my grandmothers house so we started walking, some cool cat took pity stopped and gave us a ride. Imagine a time when it was OK for a dad to scoop his 3 young kids into the back of some stranger's car without a 2nd thought, or maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Maybe people are more wary of trusting strangers nowadays and that probably has to do with being bombarded with negative stories and sensational stories presented as entertainment. I was talking to a waitress ( is that politically correct) anyway she’s in her early 70s now but back around 1969 she hitchhiked from Oklahoma to California by herself and didn’t encounter any maniacs. Truck drivers always have some of the best stories about life on the road. A friend of mine long haul trucker had great stories. One in particular highway patrol was stopping every truck because somebody had hit a woman and kept driving. Just think of all the craziness that happened along Route 66.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

It’s a safer world we live in, despite the drum beat of self interested parties telling us we need SWAT teams in every town in America. Ridiculous.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

What is that book ? " Jitterbug perfume " by Tom Wolf?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
What is that book ? " Jitterbug perfume " by Tom Wolf?

Written just after he did Rocky Horror
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Last time I gave someone a ride was dead of winter very very cold wind blowing getting dark and I see this poor guy wading through snow. Not even very many cars on the road so he was glad to get a ride, he had to walk home after work about 4 miles. That would have been miserable. That’s just helping a brother out

About 4 years ago I was parked outside a Mickey D eating some junk food when a panhandler guy asks me for a ride across town and I told him no because I was actually going opposite direction. He got real pissy because I didn’t help him
He was a scam artist pure and simple. Worked the same corner for 6 months sitting in a lawn chair holding a sign with a bullshit story. Sorry off topic.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Adventures in hitchhiking Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I still pick up single women hitchhiking as it’s too close to home.

Talk ABout your wife and kids in the first 10 seconds if you are a guy.

Don’t be a creep,

Sounds nice and fatherly. The younger me always thought with the little head. So I’m driving along and see this young woman hitchhiking and stop. I ask her where she’s going, her response “all the way” she wasn’t a cop I ended up taking her home and we didn’t talk about Volkswagens. Life can be random and dangerous. Bad decision plus she smelled bad. Very Happy

You are NOT supposed to smell her down there. Laughing

I have been asked for rides at rest stops but no thanks. I have given out cash to stranded people at rest stops...given food/ water. I have helped out many...specially in winter is really bad sometimes.

I was asleep once at a rest stop and heard this knocking on my window -saw this really young girl maybe 14 or 16...asking if I can help her. I asked her..whatcha need honey? Her car is running out of gas and she has no money. a?nd there was this creep in a pickup saying...I will give you a ride. I told her...whatever you do do NOT get in that truck.

I told her to follow me to the gas station and I will give her enough money for gas to go home. She was only out 30 miles or so..she says. Here I am damn tired from my road trip w/ a truck and trailer....saving people.

Sometimes, people just need a little help is all.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: