Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Hi
I'm looking for drawings of the doors panels. Anything like DXF or DWG files for a 1980 Vanagon. Is that exist?
I ask to be able to cut the panels with a CNC router or print at 1:1 scale to cut manually including mounting points holes positions (15 for a front door by example).
I would liked to reuse the originals panels as template to build new ones, but in four decades it seem like the original panels are gone since a while now and has been replace by poor quality panels with terrible holes positions.

Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

UPDATE: Here the link to few 2D/3D cad models of the front doors panel: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9kuvkvds57h8zq/AADpxgRoIGrIuTOjs1hOHbY4a?dl=0

Last edited by yabert on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Or you could just buy a set from JM over at Werksberg. Perfect fit and look great?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1084279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Or you could just buy a set from JM over at Werksberg. Perfect fit and look great?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1084279

... That takes all the DIY fun out of it and all the cash from ones pocket.

OP, create the drawings and share them. Fusion360 is free to use for this application. Draw the panel, print at a blueprint shop (FedEx/Kinko's and the office supply store also print big). Lay out on your door and find the hole locations with a pencil to update your drawing and the holes will be in the perfect locations.

Hint for tracing and measuring - in the USA we can get gift wrapped mg paper which has a 1inchx1inch grid on the back to help people cut straight. Tracing on there the measurements become automatic. I've seen that paper when at the dollar store.

Let us know what you end up doing.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

OP, create the drawings and share them.

That was my initial plan.
I simply would like to verify first if someone had done those measurements/drawings before spending time on this.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
vanis13 wrote:

OP, create the drawings and share them.

That was my initial plan.
I simply would like to verify first if someone had done those measurements/drawings before spending time on this.

I did my panels out of ABS back in 2002 and that was a time consuming task! I would have gladly used modern CNC cutting if I had a file . I'm looking forward to it as shipping new wooden panels to Hi is crazy expensive, I'd rather have them done locally, smaller carbon footprint too Laughing
Aloha !
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
yabert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Yeah! I expect to have the drawings for the two front doors done in few days.
After, probably the sliding door depending how easy is to take all the measurements.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

yabert wrote:
Yeah! I expect to have the drawings for the two front doors done in few days.
After, probably the sliding door depending how easy is to take all the measurements.

That's rad!! Cool
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I have a late sliding door card dwg somewhere. Just have to get home and search through my files. Thet will be next week.
I would share in exchange of the front door drawing. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Put me down as one who would pay for a dwg/dxf drawing package of even just the front door cards.

Alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
charleslabri
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

hell yes

+1
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I could probably generate a cad dwg or dxf of the front door cards. I have a pair in storage and use Autocad daily... Don't have the others to use as a template without removing mine and right now I'd rather not.

If enough people want it and are willing to pay a small fee for the fronts, I'd be more encouraged to start the process.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Please, I encourage you to do it. I made a half hearted attempt at it, took pics of door card then tried tracing image on fusion 360, manual tracing. Cut the result on the cnc router, 1/8” ply.

Didn’t get it quite right and I lost enthusiasm. I think I had issues with camera parallax etc.

I don’t have a probe for the router so I can’t use a probing routine to trace the actual door card. And I get distracted by other chores to go back to the camera method.

I’d pay for an accurate file of the door card.

Alistair
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I'd do it myself if I had bare cards. You do need a standard paper scanner for this method.

Lay the card on a large sheet made out of standard 8.5x11s (use a little tape to keep them tight) - then trace.

Scan each sheet and reassemble/trace in PS/Illustrator/your fave

Then import into Fusion 360 or whatevs...I find camera is super hard for stuff like this.
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I have the template made and will scan tomorrow for the dwg/dxf file.
I do have a slider door card I could use as well but for now I'm only going to do the front door cards.

PM me if interested in file format of your choice.
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Super!

Pm sent and thanks very much for doing this.

Alistair
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Being here in Germany, it is also prohibitivly expensive to ship!
I tried (unsuccessfully!) to get the panel maker to send me a cnc file, or a rough tracing on butchers paper so I could source them here locally, with the (blood) promise that I wouldn't try to profit off of them.
No luck, never heard back from them!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

I'm close to having the front door template complete in cad... But I've discovered several concerns.

1) Power Mirror switch cut-out: Some will want while others will not.
2) Power windows vs manual: My existing cards do not have power windows
3) Covering or not covering: There are a number of extra holes in the stock cards that would not be wanted if planning to install without a covering.

I see the abs panels sold by others all appear to disregard the additional holes mentioned in #3 above. Leave those out of the file and assume everyone is NOT covering the cards?

I'm looking for some feedback before I finalize the file(s). I also need a headcount on the number of people that want these to determine what to charge for the file so please chime in.

If the slider door is of interest too, please say so.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

dlb154 wrote:
I'm close to having the front door template complete in cad... But I've discovered several concerns.

3) Covering or not covering: There are a number of extra holes in the stock cards that would not be wanted if planning to install without a covering.

I see the abs panels sold by others all appear to disregard the additional holes mentioned in #3 above. Leave those out of the file and assume everyone is NOT covering the cards?

for what its worth the GW cards i used all over our van had light engraving on the smooth sides showing places where you could DIY trace/cut for additional features that not all vans had.
you could do something similar - make tracings for all possible variants but leave it to users to cut their own holes for some of these optional features like power mirrors, etc.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

here is the late sliding door panel in DWG I draw a few years ago:
it has both the holes for the original westfalia door and the caravelle, so it needs some editing before sending to a CNC router

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cl18fiw72p40yiz/sliding_door.dwg?dl=0

if somebody would share the front door panels in exchange that would be great
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Door trims and panels kit CAD, drawing, DWG, DXF Reply with quote

Hi,

My opinion is to include all the cut outs in the door on the drawing. A nice touch would be labelling them.

Alistair

dlb154 wrote:

I'm looking for some feedback before I finalize the file(s). I also need a headcount on the number of people that want these to determine what to charge for the file so please chime in.

If the slider door is of interest too, please say so.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: